Injection = Unetbootin - Not required with DevRel_03

Special files or links to 3rd party application programs

Injection = Unetbootin - Not required with DevRel_03

Postby jbv » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:06 pm

This thread is here to help sort out and update our documentation.

The files below will "inject" Unetbootin into the FoxyDesktop sqf

Unetbootin will allow you to create a Bootable USB stick from a ISO file within FoxyRoxy
It was first mentioned in <this thread>

This functionality of injection has not been tested
- it would be appreciated if someone could make a bootable USB from an ISO using this and report back.

The injection has been tested and will create a backup of 02-FoxyDesktop.squashfs
You should make sure there is space in your /live/image/live directory for the backup, or the new file will not be created.

To inject Unetboot, download both files below and place them into your "live" directory.
If you booted from a USB stick, this will be /live/image/live
Open a console/terminal screen and type:
source /live/image/live/99-inject-unetbootin.sh

When the prompt returns, type:
sync to ensure that all disc buffers are flushed.
Restart FoxyRoxy

Unetbootin will appear in the following menu locations:

Desktop-Menu = Debian --> Applications --> File Management
TaskBar-Menu = System Tools
jbv

Re: FoxyRoxy Injection = Unetbootin

Postby saintless » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:22 pm

It will take some time to test it but the command does not work this way. Here is the output:
Code: Select all
root@debian:/# /live/image/live/99-inject-unetbootin.sh
bash: /live/image/live/99-inject-unetbootin.sh: Permission denied
root@debian:/#

This one works:
Code: Select all
source /live/image/live/99-inject-unetbootin.sh

I will report back when the process finish.
saintless

Postby jbv » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:27 pm

Ah, that is a permissions error - Sorry, my fault.

I just copied the file to my stick after creating it, and opened the TaskBar Quick-Console to test it. Whereas you downloaded it, which would have messed with the permissions. .. We'll either need to chmod the .sh or change the instructions above ... Probably easier for everyone if I change the instructions ... hang-on a sec ... done = instructions above changed.

The other thing that messed me up a little was that we hadn't allowed files with no extensions to be uploaded, so I changed the extension to .sh and just retested on the same stick. It worked. Then discovered that the forum wouldn't allow the .sh extension to be uploaded either, and it didn't like .inject files. Man, talk about having a bad hair night .... Anyway, we can now upload and download .sh and .inject files :)

First injection upload/download, so to be expected. At least we now know :)

Cheers

***[ copied from: [Development Lab] [Outstanding] [Missing Packages] ]***

I have tested it and made a bootable USB stick from a FoxyRoxy that was booted from a USB stick.
I copied the ISO onto the bootable USB stick.

It works ... sort of.
The stick it made, boots all of my machines, except my primary desktop which is a 3 year old Dell Vostro 410
It looks as though it has the same issue as the other versions of UUI, which Lance fixed for us in the latest release that we are now hosting.

Now, while this is now starting to point to a BIOS issue with my machine, my machine does have the latest and only BIOS that Dell have ever released for it. This also indicates that it may not work for every machine. I guess we can't guarantee that everything will always work on every machine, but it is something to keep in mind when people say, "it doesn't work".
jbv

Postby saintless » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:56 pm

Thanks, JBV. The injection script works fine. I made working bootable USB stick after the injection change.
After some testing I think I found easier way to use Unetbootin and we don't need to include it in the base iso.
I will write this information here.
saintless

Postby KazzaMozz » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:02 pm

Hi Guys
you probably already know about this service but just in case Dropbox is always a good backup for popping things for download into. No restrictions it can be anything and you get 2GBs free with easy steps to increase it for nothing.
http://db.tt/9ZfiQ8WJ If you want to get a drop box or
My Public FoxyRoxy https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0evncaaluvvd ... i/FoxyRoxy
The developers could have there own private shared box for specific people in Foxy too etc.

Works great for syncing too everyone could have their FoxyRoxy folder and you updates could be dropped in there and we get the updates straight away when we boot, across any computers.
What I like about it is people don't have to have an email address if they just want to download from the site. Unlike http://www.4shared.com/ (15GBs free space loads of Ads with the freebie version) that's good for some things too. Seems to have no restrictions either, just a bit slow downloading to be expected.

Just a thought
Cheers
KazzaMozz

Return to FoxyRoxyLinux - Addons