SoftMaker Office 2008

Special files or links to 3rd party application programs

SoftMaker Office 2008

Postby jbv » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:04 am

In our quest to keep FoxyRoxy, lean and mean, we discovered a very nice Office Application suite: SoftMaker Office - Homepage
The Linux version of this suite does not have dependencies, is very small, and lightning fast. However, it is not "Free" :cry:

While it is not "Free" in the traditional Open-Source sense, nor in the "Free Beer" sense, there is a "Free to Use" version.

SoftMaker Office 2008 is "Free to Use" and it will read/write MS Office 2003 files.
There are numerous reviews of this suite, and they are easy to find, so we won't link to any here.

To use the 2008 version, all you need to do is provide your name and a valid Email address.

The only questions asked during this process are:
1) Your Name
2) What Country you are from
3) A valid Email address
4) Weather you want to download the Linux or Windows version, or both

When you have completed the registration form, you can download the version(s) you requested.
If you request a Linux version, you have the option to download a Debian .deb file
About 2 seconds after registration, an Email with a valid Serial Number is sent to the Address you provided.

You are not bombarded with Emails or Spam from these people.
To date, the only Email ever received contained the unique serial number.
They will send you announcements of major releases, which are not very often.
You can easily unsubscribe from these.

While installing the .deb and making a clean sqf is somewhat straightforward, we have received permission from SoftMaker to place a version here. The sqf below contains a very clean installation of SoftMaker Office 2008, although it does not have a serial-number. To obtain your own serial number and use the programs, you should register from the link above, or use <this link> to go directly to the registration page.

In addition to an un-registered, pre-installed version of SoftMaker Office 2008,
the sqf below contains the following scripts:
10-load ... Loads the .squashfs into /tmp/sqf-smo
10-save ... Saves /tmp/sqf-smo to <your load path>10-softmakeroffice.squashfs (with backup)
10-smo-refresh ... Loads SoftMaker Office, updates your configuration (including serials etc) and saves it
10-smo-patch ... Injects SoftMaker Office into 02-FoxyDesktop.squashfs and creates 99-smo-refresh for future use

To obtain your personal version of SoftOffice Maker 2008 free of charge, you should:
1) <register>
- It is suggested that you download the .deb while you are there, you may want it later for re-installation
2) Download the 10-softmakeroffice.squashfs attachment below
3) Start FoxyRoxy with 10-softmakeroffice.squashfs in your system startup directory
4) After login, you will find a new Office section in the TaskBar Menu
5) Start any of the packages.
6) At first run, you will be prompted to enter:
- The default paths for your documents and templates
- Your Name, Email Address, and Serial Number
- The details you want to be used in templates
7) Start each application, select if you want a start-up tip to load each time or not.
- Following this, SoftMaker Office 2008 will then be fully configured.

To save SoftMaker Office 2008 with your configuration, serial number Et cetera, run the script 10-smo-refresh

If you would like to inject SoftMaker Office 2008 into your FoxyDesktop .sqf, run the script 10-smo-patch.
You can do this at any time (even after a few weeks)
To save configuration changes after injecting the suite into FoxyDesktop, run the script 99-smo-refresh.

Note: The scripts assume templates etc will live in /root/SoftMaker

The 65Mb file can be downloaded by <clicking this link>
jbv

Triming SoftMaker Office 2008

Postby jbv » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:40 am

After registering SoftMaker Office 2008, you can dramatically reduce the size of the .sqf

The following steps can remove up to 38Mb from the .sqf, shrinking it from 63Mb to 25Mb

After starting each application:
In addition to choosing to have a tip of the day show or not,
Select [Tools --> Options] from the pull-down menu of each application.
On the [Appearance] tab, select the display Language and Measurement units.
On the [Lanuguage] tab, select your Default language, or leave as Default.

Then run the 10-smo-refresh script, to save your configuration
Then run the 10-load script, to load the .sqf into /tmp/sqf-smo

Using XFE, you can now easily remove files that you most likely wont need.
Code: Select all
--[ German PDF Manuals/User Guides ]--
/tmp/sqf-smo/usr/share/office2008/pm2008_de.pdf = 2.3Mb
/tmp/sqf-smo/usr/share/office2008/pr2008_de.pdf = 3.2Mb
/tmp/sqf-smo/usr/share/office2008/tm2008_de.pdf = 2.4Mb

--[ English PDF Manuals/User Guides ]--
/tmp/sqf-smo/usr/share/office2008/pm2008_en.pdf = 1.9Mb
/tmp/sqf-smo/usr/share/office2008/pr2008_en.pdf = 3.1Mb
/tmp/sqf-smo/usr/share/office2008/tm2008_en.pdf = 2.2Mb

--[ Application Language Files where xx = the Language)]--

/tmp/sqf-smo/usr/share/office2008/planmaker_xx.dwr
/tmp/sqf-smo/usr/share/office2008/presentations_xx_.dwr
/tmp/sqf-smo/usr/share/office2008/textmaker_xx_.dwr

/tmp/sqf-smo/usr/share/office2008/spell (remove all languages, except the ones you require)

/tmp/sqf-smo/usr/share/office2008/html_xx (remove all)
/tmp/sqf-smo/usr/share/office2008/install_xx (remove all)

Run the 10-save script to save the trimmed .sqf

You can also perform this after injecting SoftMaker Office 2008 into the FoxyDesktop .sqf
although you would then use the 02-load and 02-save scripts ... and be a little more careful :)
jbv

Re: SoftMaker Office 2008

Postby saintless » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:14 am

Thanks, JBV. This slimming option is very welcome.
Just for information for the users if you create a folder /root/.fonts (it will become hidden), any font you put in this folder will automatic appear for use in Softmaker Office.
saintless

Postby jbv » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:16 am

Hi saintless,

Thanks for the tip.

A note to anyone who does create the hidden directory /root/.fonts and drops fonts in there.

Depending upon how large this directory becomes, you might want to consider "tweaking" the 99-snap script to include this directory in your snapshots. If it starts to get large, then I would suggest that you do a 02-load or 10-load (depending upon weather you have injected Office into your Desktop sqf or not) and then copy the /root/.fonts directory into the working directory before doing a 0x-save.

If you do this while you also have fonts in 05-FoxyConfig, you should then 05-load, delete the fonts from the working directory, and then 05-save to put a leaner, cleaner 05-FoxyConfig back in your "boot" path.

I hope this makes sense.

Cheers
jbv

Postby jbv » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:29 pm

Update: Regarding Email / Spam from SoftMaker

I received an Email yesterday to inform me that they have released a new product.
There was a link allowing me to unsubscribe. I won't do this yet.
jbv

Postby saintless » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:22 am

Thanks, Brenton,
the new SM office squash file and the refrersh and injection scripts work without problems.

I also receive e-mails from SMO about updates and new products but you can cancel them any time.

Cheers
saintless

Postby jbv » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:25 am

I received another Email from SoftMakerOffice today.

They now have SoftMakerOffice 2012 for Linux and (according to the release announcement) it will read/write all current versions of Microsoft Office files up to and including Microsoft Office-2010. As a registered user of the Free 2008 suite, you can purchase a valid license for the standard "upgrade" fee, which is very reasonable.

In fact, it is so reasonable, that I would purchase a license myself if they only had an Email Client with full Outlook compatibility (as in calendar/to-list/exchange integration ... basically a complete replacement for MS-Outlook) as they do have with their Window version. Guy's if you can get a Linux Version of "Outlook", then I may actually use it.

As saintless has already advised, you can turn off their Emails, but I won't because I really hope they do an Outlook for Linux, and then I'm there.... So, I don't want to miss the announcement.
jbv

Return to FoxyRoxyLinux - Addons