Injection = NVIDIA GLX Drivers - Not required with DevRel_03

Special files or links to 3rd party application programs

Injection = NVIDIA GLX Drivers - Not required with DevRel_03

Postby jbv » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:43 am

This thread is here to help sort out and update our documentation.

This injection patches 01-FoxyRoxy to the latest Linux Drivers from NVIDIA

The actual drivers are the 32-bit version 304.37 Certified which can be found <here>
The supported chipsets and cards, can be found on the Supported Products page of the above link.

This will be the only NVIDIA driver supported by FoxyRoxy, although it is supplied As-Is and without support.
The driver is free to distribute although it does have special license.
When installed, the license is located in /usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0.
You are asked to review the license.

This injection is a little different to previous injections in that you will need to do some minor configuration to fully integrate the driver.
This has been fully scripted, although it will require a few reboots and you will need a fair amount of space on the USB stick. It is suggested that you have at least 500Mb of free space on the USB stick to complete the integration and injection of the drivers. You can remove the .sqfbak files during various stages if required, although you should always have a copy safely stored elsewhere just in case things do not work as planned (scripted).

The Good News : Testing has shown that these drivers provide a performance throughput boost of 100% over the standard nouveau drivers that Debian Linux uses. What this means is that using GTKperf as the benchmark, the test sequence completes in half the time.

The Bad News : These drivers will increase the size of 01-FoxyRoxy.squashfs by about 45Mb and they will also increase the baseline memory by about 35Mb. There is definitely no such thing as a Free Lunch which these drivers prove.

The decision to load these drivers rests with you.
Only you know what trade-offs you are prepared to make in the realm of speed/memory.
FoxyRoxy does not require the drivers, nor do any of the baseline packages included in FoxyRoxy.
However, some packages may require true hardware acceleration that the standard nouveau drivers do not provide.

Important Note 1: Before installing the NVIDIA drivers, you should have sorted out your sound.
If you require the Realtek drivers from 011-Realtek_IntelHDA.squashfs you should have patched them into 01-FoxyRoxy.squashfs
It is suggested that once you have sound working, you remove both 011-xxxx.sqf files from your boot /live directory.

Important Note 2: Once installed, there is NO ROLL-BACK
You will need to use backup copies of 01-FoxyRoxy.squashfs and 02-FoxyDesktop.squashfs to remove these drivers.

Installation Instructions

1) Download 03-FoxyNVIDIA.squashfs from the link below
2) Download 02-libGLpatch.sh from the link below
3) Make a backup or save 01-FoxyRoxy.squashfs
4) Make a backup or save 02-FoxyDesktop.squashfs
5) Copy both of the files downloaded into your /live/ directory

6) Start FoxyRoxy

7) After login, you will be left at a console prompt
you will be instructed to run the 03-nvidiaconfig script
simply type:03-nvidiaconfig <enter>
The script will pause in a few places, where you will need to press <enter> to continue.
... You can always switch to the second console using [alt-F2] to see how things are going.
The script will patch 03-FoxyNVIDIA.squashfs and save it (with backup), then reboot the system

After re-booting, you can test the driver using the following methods:
a) From a console/terminal session, type glxgears which should report the correct framerate.
b) From the [ Task Bar Menu] --> [ System Tools ] --> [ GtkPerf ]
c) From the [ Task Bar Menu] --> [ Preferences ] --> [ NVIDIA X Server Settings ]

If you want or intent to use different Kernels ( 486 or 686 or 686-BigMem )
you should repeat all of the steps from (6) for each Kernel
This is required to properly integrate the NVIDIA GLX drivers with each Kernel.
If you do not do this, any Kernel which has not been integrated will not work.

When you have integrated the driver into all of your Kernels, you are ready to patch 01-FoxyRoxy.squashfs
with 03-FoxyNVIDIA.squashfs which is (almost) the final step.
Until now, we have not touched anything other than 03-FoxyNVIDIA.squashfs

If you continue past here, this is the point of no return.

When you have confirmed that the NVIDIA GLX driver has been properly integrated into all 3 kernels, make sure you have at least 500Mb of free space in your /live boot directory. You can now run the 03-nvidiapatch script.

This script will patch 01-FoxyRoxy.squashfs and rename 03-FoxyNVIDIA.squashfs
During the patch process, it will remove all of the 03-xxxx scripts.
When completed, the system will restart.

After restarting, the NVIDIA GLX drivers will be loaded and active, although there will be a minor issue with the OpenGL GLX extensions. To fix this, we must patch 02-FoxyDesktop.squashfs

To patch 02-FoxyDesktop.squashfs open a console/terminal screen and type : source /live/image/live/02libGLpatch.sh <enter>

This script will load 02-FoxyDesktop.squashfs and rename one link that "steps on" the link installed by the NVIDIA GLX drivers.
When the script has finished, you can restart FoxyRoxy and everything will work.

If you are interested ...
The gory details of what was learnt during this and what the magic scripts do, will be explained later.
The story behind this will probably appear in [The Development Laboratory] [System Startup] in a day or two.

Please report the results of your testing and experience with this.
Feedback on the instructions provided would also be appreciated.
jbv

Re: FoxyRoxy Injection = NVIDIA GLX Drivers

Postby saintless » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:06 pm

Hi, JBV,

I did the first 7 steps and I get only those two screen resolutions on the picture for my Gforce 6200. I see it is supported with the driver: here.
Tomorrow I will use 03-nvidiapatch and after that 02libGLpatch.sh scripts and see if this will make any difference.

Cheers
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (48.1 KiB) Viewed 10156 times
saintless

Postby jbv » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:44 pm

Hi saintless,

What screen resolutions does your monitor support?
Do you see more options/resolution in
[ Task Bar Menu] --> [ Preferences ] --> [ NVIDIA X Server Settings ]

Cheers
jbv

Postby saintless » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:36 am

Hi, JBV,
same two resolutions in NVIDIA X Server Settings.
I guess the problem is in my LCD TV, because Nvidia X server settings shows only CRT option. There is no LCD at all. Maybe it is not well supported for Nvidia video cards.
This is the TV: click here.
It supports 1280x800 for digital TV and 800x600 for PC. I get 800x600 automatic on boot with base FoxyRoxy without Nvidia drivers.
I will test it with a computer monitor soon to see if there is any change.

Cheers
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (86.68 KiB) Viewed 10151 times
saintless

Postby jbv » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:06 am

Hi saintless,

I guess we're okay with the install itself and the destructions worked ? :wink:

The issue you are seeing is probably being caused by the way your monitor is responding to the "probe" being made by the NVIDIA card, now that it is behaving properly.
Try the following:

[ TaskBar Menu ] --> [ Preferences ] -- > [ NVIDIA X Server Settings ]

( X Server Display Configuration )
[Selection] combo-box ... = [X screen 0 (on GPU-0)] < -- Change to
[Color Depth] combo-box ... = [Whatever rocks your boat] I'd try 15 or 16-bit to start with
[MetaMode] selection menu ... = [select resolution] < -- Change to

I'd try Item 23 first "800x600 +0+0"
then 24 and 25 in that order.
If they all worked, I'd push my luck and see what items 15, 16, and 17 "1280x720" did...

I expect that there is a way to add new resolutions/timing, but that info is probably buried somewhere in the NVIDIA site, and I don't think you'll need it.

Cheers
jbv

Postby saintless » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:30 am

Hi, JBV,
jbv wrote:I guess we're okay with the install itself and the destructions worked ? :wink

Yes the install Nvidia drivers process works without issues.

I can't make it work on higher resolution. There is no options 23,24 or 25. I get only 7 options and even if I add more with add button all new options are for auto-select mode with higher resolution 640x480.

With CRT mode I've managed to find option to write manual 800x600 resolution but even this didn't work.

I still think the problem is with my LCD TV and bad support for it from Nvidia.
Anyway it does not matter for me because FoxyRoxy works with 800x600 with the base squash file. Just for the test I will check with different monitor and report back.

Cheers
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (95.88 KiB) Viewed 10142 times
saintless

Postby jbv » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:49 am

Hmmmm... Interesting. Was with a try...

My best guess is that the NVIDIA stuff is properly testing the monitor from the VGA lines and that your monitor is not responding, so it is limiting it to the highest "official" VGA resolution. FWIW, sometimes a cable can have an impact on this. Sorry, can't help much past this due to the tyranny of distance and the fact that my head hurts right now. If anything comes to mind over the next few days, I'll shoot you an Email.

While playing with the NVIDIA drivers, I did come to understand that they really do work and work properly. While NVIDIA seem to get a bagging from "the community", their stuff really does work and work well. The real issue they probably have is that so much other stuff is busted and when that is the norm, there is only so much you can do.

A few quick questions though ...

Do you have any other NVIDIA cards?
Can you get a loan of a higher res monitor, even if only for a day to test?
What sort of import duties do you cop if someone sends you something?

Cheers
jbv

Postby saintless » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:17 am

jbv wrote:My best guess is that the NVIDIA stuff is properly testing the monitor from the VGA lines and that your monitor is not responding, so it is limiting it to the highest "official" VGA resolution.

I guess you are right. With Compaq monitor I get much better result. See the picture :)

jbv wrote:Do you have any other NVIDIA cards?

I think I have one more but I have to open two or three computers to check where it is.

jbv wrote:Can you get a loan of a higher res monitor, even if only for a day to test?
What sort of import duties do you cop if someone sends you something?

I have but it was on the second floor till now.
Bulgarian post service is not the best choice to send something more expensive than a letter :) I do some shopping from e-bay sometimes (mostly small things) and if I pay insurance and get tracking number I get them. But without insurance there is a risk not to get it.
Screenshot3 (Medium).JPG
Screenshot3 (Medium).JPG (52.76 KiB) Viewed 10057 times
saintless

Postby KazzaMozz » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:52 am

Hi there JBV & Saintless
okay so have one unit now put back together for testing with the following specs

Processor : 2x Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7500 @ 2.93GHz
Memory : 8000 Mb
-Display- :Dell 24" LCD (HD)
Resolution : 1920x1200 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : GeForce GT 430/PCIe/SSE2
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
ATA SAMSUNG HD103SI
HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW CH12LS28
ATA SAMSUNG HM500JI
ATA Hitachi HTS54251
SONY DVD RW DRU-710A

I have others hidden away and can drag them out. Also have many Graphics cards which I can trial out on too.
Im out working for bit today but at least I have a half reasonable machine to work on when I get back :) That's a start.
Yes I still have the cough up your guts child at home :( I hope I don't catch the bloody thing. Leave him in bed go to work sounds like a plan!!

Downloaded files discussed etc and I suppose now 95 snap load create will become my friend.
Your unetbootin is a special version I recall reading something about that.
I'll go take another look at the thread to refresh, so much been going on here.
Just out of curiosity could someone use standard Debian/ubuntu Unetbootin. (if they know what they are doing of course)
How different is yours to Jemimah's Saluki ? Hers works but has a couple of little quirks in it.

Plus OMG stop me. When I actually do get it up and running and it works (which I'm sure it will)
Add in the extra repositories addons http://lifehacker.com/5768174/power-up-your-xbmc-installation-with-these-new-add+ons
Finally include the PVR modules HTS headend DVBapps etc and the world is our oyster. (this still has issues crashing a bit but The lonely coder is hard at it)
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HTS_Tvheadend

Must catch up and go to work must go to work must stop getting excited about this stuff ......................

Okay over and out till later this arvo or to-night depending on what the day brings.

Cheers
KazzaMozz
KazzaMozz

Postby jbv » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:38 am

Hi KazzaMozz,

FoxyRoxy does not require or have a special or modified UnetBootin.

The Unetbootin is 100% standard.

The injection provided here is a 100% pure, clean, standard Unetbootin
I only made an "injection" of it as I may include it in the base package. Therefore the idea behind having an injection available was so that existing developers would not need to download the entire ISO again.

As both yourself and saintless have discovered after I made the injection, you can just boot from a CD-ROM and then apt-get unetbootin anyway.

If you are going to test the NVIDIA GLX drivers with a clean machine, then you won't need to do much.
Run 99-setdirs which should be the first thing you do with any new FoxyRoxy install
Sort out your sound drivers - I suggest using the patch script to embed them.
Then you can remove the 011-xxx sound stuff
Before you even get to this point, you should have tested the NVIDIA driver and if it is good, then apply the patch.
Then you can remove the NVIDIA sqf too.

I hope this helps clarify and not confuse.

Cheers
jbv

Next

Return to FoxyRoxyLinux - Addons