Skype gets Foxy

Special files or links to 3rd party application programs

Skype gets Foxy

Postby jbv » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:16 am

It must be Christmas, because we have another present for you.
Christmas_Skype3.jpg
Christmas_Skype3.jpg (20.57 KiB) Viewed 9720 times

The latest release of Skype (version 4.0.0.8) has been in testing for a little while.
We hope you understand how the Elves have been very busy over the last month, with all sorts of distractions.
elves.jpg
elves.jpg (13.4 KiB) Viewed 9720 times

This add-on is complete with a 99-snap extension to save all of your Call Lists (phone-books etc) and configuration data into 05-FoxyConfig. Also included is 11-inject, a script to inject Skype into your FoxyDesktop.

The 29Mb file can be downloaded by <clicking this link>

You will need to rename the extension and remove .noload before restarting for Skype to run.

Skype will appear in the [TaskBar Menu] --> [Internet]

Some Notes:

Skype has been extensively tested on numerous machines with a wide variety of USB Cameras. You should not need to load any drivers, just plug your USB Camera in and everything should work. You will need to go into the Skype [options] section and select your Video Device (webcam) and Sound Devices (webcam), both of which will be saved with you run 99-snap

You may need to adjust the default level of your Webcam microphone.
There are two scripts that will do this for you, one of which is automatically executed at system start-up, the other is to help you check things. Both of these scripts assume your Webcam will be sound-device 1 (with your system sound being sound device 0).

The scripts are:
setwebcamsound - The script to help you manually make adjustments and confirm that your Webcam Mic is device 1
setwebcamauto - The script to set the base input level for your Webcam Microphone.

Both scripts are just single-lines, so if the "auto" thing doesn't work for you, just run the manual script, press [F6] which will bring up a menu showing all sound devices. The number shown next to your Webcam is the "device number". If your Webcam is not "device 1", then edit both scripts and change the device number from "--card=1" to be "--card=x" (where x is the device number).

This add-on includes a slightly "tweaked" /etc/rc.local which performs two functions.
1) it dynamically fixes the dpkg database using our new and improved dpkg handler
- have a look in /var/lib/dpkg and all should become as clear as mud.
2) if /scripts/setwebcamauto exists, it runs this to pre-set your Webcam Mic level
- you may need to adjust the level up or down a little, but we expect our default will be right for most people.

As usual, the add-on includes extensions for 99-snap and a smart 11-inject which will integrate the add-on into your FoxyDesktop while also patching your dpkg database.

The elves may add some additional documentation later.
jbv

Re: Skype gets Foxy

Postby saintless » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:29 pm

Thanks for this present, Brenton :)
I prefer not to update any program with new version if the old one works well. Newer versions are almost always more RAM hungry. I will check it out and report back.

Cheers, Toni
saintless

Postby jbv » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:01 pm

My pleasure Toni,

FYI, this is the version that you helped me with, so it is not new or fatter. The only real changes made since you saw it last, have been to the snap-extension/inject scripts, the addition of the auto-sound script, and the newer dpkg model, which is why the new /etc/rc.local as this wraps up the auto-sound and dpkg stuff.

As a final test, my wife used it yesterday just before uploading.
She had never used Skype or FoxyRoxyLinux before.
The only thing I had to tell her was that the Debian Logo was our "start button" and that Skype was in the Internet menu.

Other than having my testing Skype account auto-login and my Skype configuration saved using 99-snap, I did absolutely nothing. This really should just work "right out of the box", for pretty well everyone.

Cheers, Brenton
jbv

Postby jbv » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:04 pm

I have just received an Email from Santa.

He is really embarrassed and has a very red face :oops:

It seems that there is a glitch in the 99-snap extension that you won't notice for a few reasons.

He has fixed this and sent me an update, but as it is currently 23:00 on New Years Eve, I'm a little shot and won't be able to properly test it until tomorrow afternoon. I believe that some additional functionality, and fun stuff has been added as a make-peace.

If you have downloaded this, then please play but be prepared for an update tomorrow (or the day after if I'm really shot). You may loose any configuration settings and need to set it up again. So, don't get carried away with adding all of your phone-book entries.

Cheers, Brenton
jbv

Postby jbv » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:04 am

The above link has now been updated

The 29Mb file can be downloaded by <clicking this link>

In addition to Skype, there is a new tool [TaskBar Menu] --> [Sound & Video] --> [guvcview]

If your WebCam supports ZOOM, this tool will allow you to adjust the zoom and other tweaks on your WebCam, which will be used by Skype. You should open guvcview before starting Skype. If you save the configuration using "default", and use 99-snap your WebCam configuration will be saved, and become the default, although after reboot, you will still need to open guvcview so it can load the configuration for Skype.

Cheers, Brenton
jbv

Postby KazzaMozz » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:52 am

Hi Brenton
can't wait to check this one out
Cheers
Kazza
KazzaMozz

Return to FoxyRoxyLinux - Addons