[Wireless Connections] In progress

It's just a bunch of pipes

[Wireless Connections] In progress

Postby KazzaMozz » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:02 am

Hi everyone,
This is a work in progress and the content will change as I will endeavour to get the best solution for a wireless feature being available.
Before we start there are a few basic questions that I know will be asked.
First up I recommend you have a look at here
and see if your current modem or one you have in mind to purchase is supported.
If you don't find your modem mentioned there I suggest you add it to their list.

Now on to some questions that you may have:

Which wireless network manager will/does FoxyRoxyLinux use ?
We haven't go one right now and we are currently looking at a couple of options.
Frisbee is fast and efficient but I'm not sure if it is for us just yet. It really depends on how it has been built
and whether it really fits our mould. Fast sleek reliable efficient & lean.
These are things that all go into making FoxyRoxyLinux so special.

Will you support all wireless type cards, USB, PMCIAs etc.
The plan is to support the most common ones available as it would be an endless
task to try to achieve support for all that are available to-date.
Possibly there will be another add-on for older style modems & hardware but there are no guarantees.

Will 3G & 4G broadband wireless be supported ?
The plan is yes again it depends on what I find.

Why don't we bundle everything into one package so it covers all types of modems ?
To do this means a much larger package. I feel it would be far better to have 3 add-ons/injections depending on how it pans out.
1 with the latest and most supported modems
1 with the older style modems
1 for 2G/3G/4G mobile broadband

Will it have NDISwrapper in case my modem is not supported under Linux ?
Possibly.

I will add any progress and thoughts when they happen.
Cheers
Kazza
KazzaMozz

Re: [Wireless Connections] In progress

Postby jbv » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:08 am

Hi Kazza,

Just a little script I whipped up last-night while using FoxyRoxyLinux to help me re-configure the 4 wireless network routers in my place. It may come in handy. It certainly did for me ...

Code: Select all
#!/bin/sh
#netrestart - restarts the network and waits for a valid IP
timeout=0
ip_var=""
keypress=''
clear
echo "--------------- Network Information ---------------"
/sbin/ifconfig | awk /'inet addr/ {print $2}'
/sbin/ifconfig | awk /'Bcast/ {print $3}'
/sbin/ifconfig | awk /'inet addr/ {print $4}'
/sbin/ifconfig | awk /'HWaddr/ {print $4,$5}'
/sbin/route | awk /'default/ {print "Gateway:" $2}'
#myip=`lynx -dump -hiddenlinks=ignore -nolist http://checkip.dyndns.org:8245/ | sed '/^$/d; s/^[ ]*//g; s/[ ]*$//g' `
#echo "${myip}"
echo "---------------------------------------------------"
echo ""
echo "***"
echo "*** Restarting FoxyRoxy Networking"
echo "***"
echo ""

ifdown eth0 && ifup eth0

ip_var=$(/sbin/ifconfig -a eth0 | awk  /'inet addr:/ {print $2}' | sed 's/^.....//')
  if [ -z $ip_var ]; then
    while [ $timeout -lt 200 ]
    do
      printf '\rWaiting for IP Assignment: %-d'$timeout
      ip_var=$(/sbin/ifconfig -a eth0 | awk  /'inet addr:/ {print $2}' | sed 's/^.....//')
      if [ ! -z $ip_var ]; then
   echo ""
   echo 'Valid IP Assigned: '$ip_var
   break
      fi
      read -t0.1 -n 1 -s keypress
      if [ $keypress ]; then
        break
      fi
     let "timeout+=1"
    done
  fi

echo "--------------- Network Information ---------------"
/sbin/ifconfig | awk /'inet addr/ {print $2}'
/sbin/ifconfig | awk /'Bcast/ {print $3}'
/sbin/ifconfig | awk /'inet addr/ {print $4}'
/sbin/ifconfig | awk /'HWaddr/ {print $4,$5}'
/sbin/route | awk /'default/ {print "Gateway:" $2}'

#myip=`lynx -dump -hiddenlinks=ignore -nolist http://checkip.dyndns.org:8245/ | sed '/^$/d; s/^[ ]*//g; s/[ ]*$//g' `
#echo "${myip}"
echo "---------------------------------------------------"

Natrually, yu will need to season to taste as this is dedicated by eth0, but I hope it helps.

Something tells me that you will need something like this, and will be using it often :lol:

GoodLuck and Best Wishes, Brenton
jbv

Postby KazzaMozz » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:57 pm

Thanks for that
KazzaMozz

Postby KazzaMozz » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:18 pm

Hi Everyone
We are in development phase and so this means I've got to get the right packages for our purposes.
This means in reality a lot of researching. We don't want to just put up any old thing. I've come across
some very interesting articles, and packages. Too soon to share with you just yet. :twisted:
It's given me an insight to what is currently available right now, and what will be on offer very soon.
There has been a log of work going on with Debian and wireless. The great news is; there are also some fabulous
documents available for these packages. Describing what they can and can't do. This is a welcome relief as I can cross
off pretty much the ones that don't tick all the boxes we want.
So now when I have a bit more in place I will share my findings with you.

So keep watching this space for updates.
I don't think it will be too far off before I can post up something very interesting for you to try out.
I'm also in the process of documenting what I'm looking at. This way the Guides should be
done at the same time.
Well that's the plan. 8-)

Cheers
Kazza
KazzaMozz

Postby saintless » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:10 pm

KazzaMozz wrote:I don't think it will be too far off before I can post up something very interesting for you to try out.

Thanks, Kazza, but I don't have wireless hardware for testing. It doesn't mean I'm not interesting of making FoxyRoxy wireless capable.
Here is a tip from me - don't waste time testing WICD package ;)

Cheers, Toni
saintless

Postby KazzaMozz » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:14 am

Hi Toni
Here is a tip from me - don't waste time testing WICD package ;)

Trust me this I already know :lol: :lol: :lol: Nope not even considering it.

I'm more inclined to be going down this path
with a couple of other things in mind for the wireless network manager side of things.

I'll keep you posted.

Cheers
Kazza
KazzaMozz

Postby jbv » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:50 am

KazzaMozz wrote:I'm more inclined to be going down this path

Hmmmm... That's a little strange. Can I ask why?

I've only had a 30-scond look and there are quite a few things I don't like from what I've seen on their site. Although I do need a few days to properly read/review things.

While I need to (and will) "brush" up on a few things before I make any serious comment, could I suggest you have a quick look at the following links:

http://madwifi-project.org/wiki/Compatibility
Introduction Section wrote:At this time MadWifi does not support any USB devices. It's unlikely that MadWifi itself will be extended for USB support, as the USB devices have a largely different architecture

http://madwifi-project.org/wiki/About/HAL
3rd para ... wrote:The original MadWifi author, Sam Leffler, and Atheros agreed on the concept of using a proprietary HAL as wrapper around the hardware registers. The HAL is distributed in binary form only ..[chomp].. but _please_ read the entire page (slowly)

Now have a look at this ...

http://wiki.debian.org/hal
Please Note a Top of Page ... wrote:HAL is in the process of being deprecated by upstream, replaced by udev, udisks, upower etc. For information about the progress within Debian, see HALRemoval.

To date; I have fought tooth and nail to not require HAL. However, I do understand that the HAL this driver requires is different and may not require any part of the Debian HAL be loaded, so more research needs to be done in this area before I can comment. Can I simply say that for now, what you are looking at frightens me a little.

In summary, what scares me is that this particular low-level stuff only supports embedded chipsets from a single manufacturer, with no USB support and "locked-up/binary only" libraries.... All in all, unless you've got some wonderful/magical reason why (that I can't see), I'm wondering why you are going to waste any time with it at all. While I can understand that it may provide wireless for your Acer with embedded WiFi, it won't do anything whatsoever for anyone else or any other machines that you may have.

Cheers, Brenton
jbv

Postby KazzaMozz » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:58 am

Hi Brenton
I've only had a 30-scond look and there are quite a few things I don't like from what I've seen on their site. Although I do need a few days to properly read/review things.

Yes I have been all over the shop with the Madwifi project, as a matter of fact I have all of those links you have popped in etc in a document I am preparing for myself from the research I have done

I should have been more specific with the path comment. This was where the journey started, not where it ended.
I'm not actually going to use MadWifi this was where I started on as it was being used in Puppy and worked to a degree. I have found out plenty of things including the Bugs associated with it and the split from the original group.
I was making sure what is and isn't available, who is actively involved and if there is a future for further improvements, what USB modems and 3G broadband etc. If they don't support this they are not on the list. Trust me I've already done a fair bit of research.
It also has to be fully compatible with Debian squeeze and have not bugs associated with it.
I have also looked at things that did have bugs and how they were fixed. Does this make you a little more confident.

I have read all about the HAL and all of the problems associated with it.
To date; I have fought tooth and nail to not require HAL. However, I do understand that the HAL this driver requires is different and may not require any part of the Debian HAL be loaded, so more research needs to be done in this area before I can comment. Can I simply say that for now, what you are looking at frightens me a little.

I have no intention of using HAL for that very reason. I did find out there there is also now an OpenHAL available. Doesn't mean I'll use that either.
As I said I'm ticking and crossing off. :lol: I won't be using any non-free proprietary garbage. :)

When I've got it all together I will give you all the details of what's currently out there and you can make a final choice.

Hope this helps to clarify things for you. If the options I find aren't the ones you want let me know and I will use the ones you recommend.

Cheers
Kazza
KazzaMozz

Postby KazzaMozz » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:08 pm

Hello there
Success Yipee
Guess what I'm doing.
Talking to you via WIRELESS Oh yes I am :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Will be back with how very shortly.
It's quite interesting. My research has paid off.
UPDATE Internal wifi aka PCI wireless cards. I'm currently working on a USB drivers 8-)
NDISwrapper is the answer to some degree. Not the ultimate that I am looking and aiming at.
It may not be the end solution but it sure is a good interim one. :twisted:
Cheers
Kazza
KazzaMozz

Postby jbv » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:16 pm

Hi Kazza,

I can tell that you are chuffed :)

Sounds like you have made a personal breakthrough which is great news.
I will be interested to hear/see where you go with it from here.

Cheers, Brenton
jbv

Next

Return to Networking