XBMC Media Center

This looks like a good place for it

Re: Installed Debian Package - How to save in Foxyroxy?

Postby KazzaMozz » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:00 pm

Hi Guys
Has anyone in here done any work with XBMC now that it has been accepted as a Debian Official Distribution ?
http://xbmc.org/theuni/2012/04/10/xbmc- ... to-debian/
I have got this working on a couple of Puppies Saluki Slacko & Lupu528 but not any PAE builds. All of these versions run into issues with botting XMBC and it being unusuble with the flickers and being so slow.

I have 8GB RAM I would love to utilise it. I run XBMC happily on LinuxMint13 but would love to have a HI-Mem Puppy that can do it too.
I haven't tried your PAE version yet but will I read somewhere in here you have one.
Why would I want to do this (to satisfy everyone) If it works then I will work on your running this with a front end GUI for some of my other systems the kids like to use. I only need a GUI if I'm doing major fiddling with all the different OS machines running throughout the house. Wish they would all just move over to Linux but well that's never going to happen.
Anyway So what I want to know will it work?

The plan is to install this using the APT-GET and keep my fingers crossed it will work as it is now fully supported. I don't need to play DVDs so it won't need any 3rd Party libraries etc. RAR is disabled but that's fine too as it will be worked out and I don't need it just now. Its' really just for all the pretty stuff!
I would love to have this work out of the box so to speak and obviously need to follow the saving format etc as described for the LMS saving issue.

I'll post back with the results.........unless you know it already doesn't work. ;)

Cheers
KazzaMozz
KazzaMozz

Postby saintless » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:40 am

Hi, KazzaMozz and Welcome :)

I see XBMC in debian SID package list. If you can't apt-get it from first boot you will have to add sid repo list.
After boot you have to type:
Code: Select all
apt-get update

first to update apt-get data base.
If you add new repo you have to do the same.
I can't tell if it will work without any issues. We will wait for your test result.

The changes will not be saved after reboot. There is information how to save them in the forum.

Cheers
saintless

Postby KazzaMozz » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:16 pm

Hi Saintless thanks for that
I'm looking forward to getting some great stuff to work under this awesome distro.
Re the XBMC I used this information and got a great result
http://www.deb-multimedia.org/
deb http://www.deb-multimedia.org squeeze main non-free (this wasn't working today)
or
deb ftp://ftp.deb-multimedia.org squeeze main non-free (This one did)
Installed without any hitches, but I did test it on the i686 Big Memory (which I knew would have issues) There are 64Bit and 32Bit libraries and Drivers that play havoc with the mouse and the response.
EDIT:Think this might be the problem
http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Debian I need to install the 32bit drivers not the 64bit (if this works I'll be wrapt)
Tomorrow night I should have had some time to play with the 32bit version which I expect will work well.
Thanks re the it doesn't save. I read this and will use the method mentioned in the LMS
Then we can start cooking along this.

Cheers
Kazzamozz
KazzaMozz

Postby jbv » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:13 pm

Hi KazzaMozz,

The problem with debian-multimedia may have been that the repo has changed it's url since I included it and added the keyring stuff.

I only noticed this a short while ago. I will create another message about this elsewhere...

As a quick and dirty test: ( Using 686-BigMem )
I fired-up Synaptic, changed the URL for the repository, enabled it, did a re-load, searched for XBMC, installed the full metapackage. Waited about 10 minutes while it downloaded and installed. Whammo - XBMC Media Center magically appeared in the TaskBar Menu, and it worked straight out of the box. Played some files and it works a treat - Very Nice Package. ... Poking at FoxyRoxy from SSH session while it XBMC was playing a program it looks to use about 128Mb of memory and is quite heavy on CPU, although at the time I was pulling an 8Gb 1280x720 .mkv with a bitrate of 20Mbps from another NAS.

Saved it with the 95-create script. Reloaded it with 95-load script, cleaned /tmp/sqf-snap a little, then did a 95-save and the resultant .sqf required 45Mb of disk.

One thing I wasn't happy about was that it removes ffmpeg and libavfilter0, and updates a few other packages, the two removed packages are required miniDLNA and SMplayer, so it breaks both of these and may break more. Reinstalling these packages doesn't fix things either (although I'm still playing a little with this). Do you know if you can get XBMC to install without removing/changing these?

Cheers

... Later ... I've played (a little) and given up on trying to repair these for now, so hopefully there is an easy way to install it without breaking SMplayer or miniDLNA.
jbv

Postby KazzaMozz » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:35 am

Hey Jbv
yeah bummer re the removing of the ffmpeg and libavfilter0 :( we want our cake and eat it to as I want the miniDLNA to work as well.
I will have a think about this but can't put my whole effort in just yet selling the house on Saturday. Well I hope we do hahaha. I'm sure we can navigate around it removing I'll do a bit of research to see what I can find out. I wonder how long it will be before wheezy finishes with XBMC 11.00 Eden that will be something.
You know what is a possiblity LinuxPortableApps I'll look at that later too. Maybe Boxee is the best bet for now even though it's no longer supported (I think that's the case) it's easy works well and is pretty to look at. Maybe we do something with that.

Yeah good idea re splitting and sorting things up. I have been given the daunting task of organising the bloody Astone forum which has never!!! been cleaned up till now. Taking me forever :roll: Family and other stuff comes first and I only do it for fun. Best to keep your forum clean and do it right from the start much better idea.

Thanks for the info re How To save etc will look at this as some night-time reading to get my head around it. Quite different from anything else I have been doing but think I'll get the hang of it.

So you got it to work using the 686-BigMem do you have 4Gb or more ? It craps itself on 3 of my 64bit 8Gb plus machines driving me nuts. As I said in the PM I'm pretty sure it's to do with some crossover libraries but it needs thinking about.
These machines have NVidia and ATI cards they work fine if I install a 32bit OS and XBMC and 64Bit Mint13 & XBMC.

Anyway time for Open House blah
Cheers
Last edited by KazzaMozz on Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KazzaMozz

Re: XBMC Media Center

Postby jbv » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:52 am

Hi KazzaMozz,

Understand your availability to play with what you have happening this week-end. Good luck with it.
You have my permission to goof-off until Monday, at which time you will be expected back on-deck :lol:

Quick update. The issue with XBMC you are seeing is actually related to the NVIDIA drivers. Without the special hardware accelerated NVIDIA drivers, FoxyRoxy is using the "Nouveau" drivers and while they work for most apps, XBMC trashes them.
The fix is to get a good set of NVIDIA Hardware Accelerated OpenGL drivers.

Earlier today, I managed to get a good set of drivers loaded into a machine with 8Gb of RAM and ran XMBC with the 686-Bigmem kernel. It ripped!

However, there is a bit of a glitch. The drivers and XBMC become co-dependent. If I try to get a good clean NVIDIA set of drivers installed that can be loaded before X11, then XBMC nukes them. If I try installing XMBC after from fresh, XBMC nukes them. What this means is that you need XMBC installed when you install the drivers and you can't really remove either of them.

Besides, just not being right ... This creates issues with the way I am about to carve out all of the /etc/rcx.d stuff so we can turn services on and off easily.

I could create a special set of NVIDIA drivers and XMBC in a single .sqf and this might be a short-term solution, but it would only work for 686-Bigmem systems and may not work with the current task at hand of isolating the services start-up stuff, so once again, far from ideal. I'd rather take a little time and tackle this in a planned fashion after I've carved out the /etc/rcx.d stuff.

Doing this first will fix our start-up stuff which I will need for the special services I want, and also let us load things like Logitech Media Server and any other services, without any issues. Then I'll come back to the NVIDIA Hardware Accelerated driver and work out how to get them properly into 01-FoxyRoxy so that they stay good even after you've installed XBMC.

Doing it this way (properly) will let us skip the whole desktop thing and just power-up, auto-login and fire-up an X11 auto-magically as XBMC media machine ready to rock. With what I'm seeing, I reckon well be up and running before a WDTV-Live even gets it's first logo displayed :)

Along the way, we'll fix the ffmpeg and avlib stuff that XBMC trashes too. FYI, miniDLNA doesn't need these while serving files. However it does need them while parsing the files and reading headers etc so as to build it's database, which means that it does need them... Not sure what it is doing to SMplayer, but I will make sure that it doesn't break that either. For now, can I just let you know that we do have XBMC running fine in a 686-Bigmem PAE kernel with 8Gb of RAM and NVIDIA drivers. However it is not really "fit for public consumption", which is more due to the fact that XMBC breaks to much stuff.

Cheers
jbv

Postby KazzaMozz » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:03 pm

HI there,
yeah got it working on the Nvidia the biggest problem I have is the bleeding ATI GLrx it causes even more problems than the Nvidia if that's possible. Anyway I've decided just not to use ATI HD Radeons to damn hard to satisfy everything. Works in Mint13 but I managed to break that today (got to clever for my own good) tried the latest and greatest and now I have managed to stuff up a perfectly great 32GB SD bootable card with a great setup on it. (it's not dead yet) well at least I hope it's not. UPDATE: Got it working again nothings ever really dead, sometimes you just need a different approach.

I also had a thought re the MiniDlna. What happens if before you install XBMC you remove ffmpeg and libavfilter0 but leave the configs in there. Install XBMC and then reinstall those. Haven't had time to muck around with much today but maybe we can trick it this way. I did do the completely remove this obviously made it crap itself hahaha. Asked for a thousand and one other things to be reinstalled to make it happen again. Just seeing what happens and was worth the trial.
UPDATE: Think I have time to do this today

Okay so I do have a real issue. My 5 TBs do not mount I know it can see them the are all EXT3 am I missing something. I know I can do this in terminal but isn't this supposed to happen in the bootup so I don't need to stuff around with them. WD 2TB greens. Did I miss something!!
UPDATE: Will fire up the Beast I built 6 internals and see what happens there. Will post back.

I'm having a crap day so maybe I misunderstood what Foxy is supposed to do. Mount everything and setup Samba etc.

Cheers
Last edited by KazzaMozz on Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
KazzaMozz

Postby SBP » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:41 pm

Hi KazzaMozz.

Regarding your issue with mounting a drive and seeing it from another windows computer.

I had the same issue, in my situation FoxyRoxy mounted the drive fine during boot-up but it was not seen on my network. You need to change the Samba config file, which is located in /etc/samba/smb.conf. I simply copied the latest part beginning with [Public] and changed the name in here (this is the name that will show up on the other computer), then changed the path to the mounted HDD, for mee it was something like : path = /media/Seagate_FreeAgent_Go_2GE957HB-/Videoer.

Remember to save these changes in you samba.conf file like jvb told me some days ago:

" please use the 95-create script. It will catch your changes to miniDLNA. (and samba - my addition)
If you make multiple changes, then after a first-run of 95-create, use 95-refresh"

Then restart Samba in CLI by:
/etc/init.d/samba restart

Then it will turn up on you network

Hope this helps
Steen
SBP

Postby KazzaMozz » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:55 am

Hi there
thanks for the reply Samba is not my issue. When I say it knows they are there I mean I can manually mount them through the terminal.
It's actually the internal drives which don't showup because they are not automounting and do not show up under anything apart from the program for setting up smart control etc.
I should have access to my drives under media but nothing. Also can's see them via their I.Ds etc so somethings screwy. It's not I can't see them from another PC I can't see them on the PC I'm booted up on where they reside.
Disk Utility cannot see them. So via menu there is no way to access them which is the point I was trying to make. This distro is supposed to mount them automatically and it's possible
my setup it cannot do this for right now. I have to do this manually through the terminal. The HP Microserver does have some weird quirks to it. I'm running the program via USB directly from my Server.
But thanks anyway I appreciate your post.
My question is only related to automounts and not sharing via samba.
Cheers
KazzaMozz

Postby jbv » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:31 am

Hi KazzaMozz,

At the moment ...
FoxyRoxy will automatically mount a USB stick that has been inserted.

FoxyRoxy will not automatically mount local hard-drives.
For now, this is "by design", although explaining will take more time than I have at this exact moment.

For testing, I have been using the mount-all script, although having just fired that up quickly on a Dell with a factory Win-7 build and 3 partitions with only 1 being valid, it seems that mount-all may be broken or getting confused by the Dell stuff. Manually creating a mount-point and manually mounting the real NTFS partition works, so perhaps the script needs a review :(
If you've got a few minutes and know this sort of stuff, could you have a quick look at it and see if you can fix it?

I'll expand upon the plan for mounting internal drives a little later (not sure if it will be tonight/tomorrow/few-days), but it involves having a machine with >15 HDDs installed and needing to replace one when it does. Adding a new one when your funds allow and all that sort of stuff. I really want that to be seamless and painless. I also want to make sure that people (read me, or my mates who will be using my NAS) don't pull the wrong drive out or replace the wrong drive.

Having stuff AutoMount in that scenario has the potential for things to get real ugly, real quick :)

Cheers
jbv

Next

Return to Other Stuff