XBMC Media Center

This looks like a good place for it

Re: XBMC Media Center

Postby saintless » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:13 pm

Thanks, KazzaMozz,

I use some applications from: PortableLinuxApps
I will check out portable XBMC on my computers today and write the result.

Cheers
saintless

Postby KazzaMozz » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:34 pm

Hi Saintless
you will find the downloads aren't working but you can find them via search.
I have a batch of them in my dropbox if you are looking for anything in particular.
I can confirm
XBMC, Boxee & Scribus work.
This makes it a lot easier as you can just have the Apps on their own or in their own folder on the USB.
I played with these a while ago with Puppy Lupu528 and some of them are fabulous.
Some are hit and miss but the ones I want work :) it's 1.33am here so I'm over and out for the night
Cheers
KazzaMozz

Postby saintless » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:38 pm

KazzaMozz wrote:Hi Saintless
you will find the downloads aren't working but you can find them via search.

Thanks, KazzaMozz,
I just have noticed I can't download directly from PortableLinuxApps.

Portable XBMC works with Nvidia drivers loaded for GForce 6200.
It will work also on my IBM Netvista if I find a way to boot with 24 Bit color, which I can not do yet. XBMC does not work with 16 Bit.

Cheers
saintless

Postby saintless » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:43 pm

OK, I found a way to change the default colors from 16 Bit to 24 Bit by creating /etc/X11/xorg.conf on my IBM Netvista.
Portable XBMC does not work on IBM Netvista without Nvidia video card, but works on another computer with Nvidia video and Nvidia drivers loaded.

Cheers
saintless

Postby jbv » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:06 pm

With specific attention to your NetVista with 24-bit /etc/X11/xorg.conf (and nothing else)

Does XBMC work if you do a fresh download/install (apt-get) ?

BTW - I suggest you keep a saved copy of your /etc/X11/xorg.conf in case the XBMC install process tries to change it. Have a look at /etc/X11/xorg.conf after installing XBMC and before trying to run it, then again after running it. If you notice that XBMC has played with it, then put your original one back, and try again. Some packages will try to make changes on a first-run...
jbv

Postby KazzaMozz » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:53 pm

Hi Saintless
I think we are onto something. Using XBMC this way won't trash MiniDLNA or SMplayer.
When I get a minute I'll do a fresh USB install do the driver injection then run the app. Right now I'm on the test
machine which I have rooted around with heaps so best to start fresh. (as you pointed out re the Ethernet)
I can 2 USB sticks one with the ATI garbage and the other with the nice clean NVidia drivers from Jbv.
If this works like it's supposed to, not change anything in your OS
It won't/shoudln't uninstall FFmpeg or Libavfilter01 etc. Or install anything unless you ask it to within XBMC.
Loading up the the App when you exit everything should be as it was and it will only save the data if you so choose with 95-create/load/save etc.
At least this should be the case. That's the whole idea behind them.

For my Toshiba Satellite Pro I just installed the ATI HD radeon xserver package from the repository it was pretty late last night
so will pick this apart again later. Not that anyone else is interested in the ATI NVidia is the way to go.

Anyway last night I Loaded up XBMC played around. super fast no lagging just works
Loaded up Boxee same as above
Loaded up Scribus didn't do anything it needed me to setup the config file. It was way too late to fiddle with that.
I was using 686-Bigmem and away she went.

It would still be nice to have XBMC integrated in as an idea like XBMCbuntu booting straight into it with Foxy as it's base.
Maybe a simple solution have a special build of FoxyRoxyLinux with the NVidia drivers and the sound injections and a startup script to call the XBMC App :lol:
Sounds too easy. ;)
I'm not sure how stable this App is but I will put it through some paces next week. It's Fathers day so won't be home much and tomorrows looking good.

For me this is good news as I have a lot of machines and this will make it so much easier to
test FoxyRoxyLinux on.

So if you have kids I hope you have a lovely Fathers Day. It's a beautiful sunny day here in Melbourne Australia

Cheers
KazzaMozz

Postby saintless » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:14 pm

KazzaMozz wrote:So if you have kids I hope you have a lovely Fathers Day. It's a beautiful sunny day here in Melbourne Australia

Thanks, KazzaMozz, I have two small ones and planning to take them out in the morning. Still night here in Bulgaria but the days are sunny too.

jbv wrote:With specific attention to your NetVista with 24-bit /etc/X11/xorg.conf (and nothing else)

Does XBMC work if you do a fresh download/install (apt-get) ?

Yes, installed with apt-get it works but with only 128 Mb RAM it is almost unusable.

Cheers
saintless

Postby KazzaMozz » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:26 am

Hi Guys
well look slike my late night antics I installed something that made the App work as a fresh stick install with the NVidia drivers an no go. Interesting.
Anyway last night I Loaded up XBMC played around. super fast no lagging just works
Loaded up Boxee same as above
Loaded up Scribus didn't do anything it needed me to setup the config file. It was way too late to fiddle with that.
I was using 686-Bigmem and away she went.

So I have uninstalled ffmpeg. Just looking at the Libavfilter side of things.
Still if we uninstall ffmpeg before anything gets touched then it still maybe a goer and not trash anything too much.
I'll fiddle with this a bit more before I have to go out. The old what did I do to get it to work saga :lol:
I am still doing the full XBMC side of things too.
Cheers
KazzaMozz

Postby jbv » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:01 am

Hi KazzaMozz,

With respect ... it sounds as though you might be making this harder than it should be.
I suggest starting with a clean stick and a fresh install of FoxyRoxy

As always when starting from scratch, if you are not using a 100% USB setup, then run 99-setdirs
Although it seems that you are using a 100% USB setup, so you can skip that part for now.

If you need the realtek audio drivers, then patch them in and delete both 011-squashfiles from /live
otherwise just delete them

Then put 03-FoxyNVIDIA and 02-libGLpatch.sh on the stick.
Restart.
Then patch the NVIDIA drivers in and run run 02-libGLpatch.sh

Why didn't I put 02-libGLpatch.sh into 03-FoxyNVIDIA and just auto-patch it?
There must have been a very good reason at the time. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head was concern over running out of space on the USB stick while doing all of this with backups enabled. I must revisit this and re-think it.

Somewhere in here, you should fix my error with deb-multimedia in /etc/apt/sources.list and uncomment it while you are there.
Basically, 01-load (edit it - then) 02-save

Once you've got a good clean FoxyRoxy with embedded NVIDIA drivers
- save a copy of 01-FoxyRoxy and 02-FoxyDesktop
- just in case you mess something up (which you will - trust me :lol:),
... then when you do you can just copy the known good base files back ;)

I would then confirm everything is working with the special copy of XBMC you have.

Then do a apt-get install of the XBMC from deb-multimedia
We know this won't work, but you should do a 95-create

From here, I would...
1) do a 95-load which will put the installed version of XBMC into /tmp/sqf-snap
2) edit 95-load to load the special known good version of XMBC into a different directory such as /tmp/sqf-xbmc
- you only need to change 2 lines in 95-load these are lines 3 and 4.
- if you want to, you could just save with a new filename and then drop the script into /live/image/live so you've got it for next time.
- Remember one of the real benefits of a pure USB setup is that nothing changes unless you specifically save it, so you can always hack a script and not worry about breaking it. If you mess it up, the master is still in the original .squashfs file and returning to a clean system is only as far away as a reboot.

After you run your modified 95-load or whatever you've called it
You can just browse both /tmp/sqf-xxx directories and see what I cut out while making notes along the way 8-)
- tip, use XFexplorer and change the View to be Two-Panels ;)

Cheers
jbv

Postby KazzaMozz » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:27 am

Hi Jbv
Yep you are right it shouldn't be this hard. Not sure what's happened here. I started with a fresh install as you suggested and pretty sure I did all the right things. Somethings not right as my snapshot in tmp only lasts 60 seconds ?????I have no chance of looking at it.
So something somewhere along the way has become broken and I will start with a totally fresh download and start afresh tomorrow
I have the ATI machine running beautifully but the brand new install from my original downloads with the Nvdia injection nope. Won't keep the save nothing. Clearly there is an issue somewhere.
Clearly something has gone awry and I need to go back to the start :cry:
Weird the machine I didn't expect it to work on isn't having any issues.
I love these sort or challenges.............
Cheers
KazzaMozz

PreviousNext

Return to Other Stuff