XBMC Media Center

This looks like a good place for it

Re: XBMC Media Center

Postby jbv » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:01 am

Hmmmm... What snapshot? - rhetorical question.
- No need to answer until you've worked out what is messing up, or need help.

Pretty much all of the scripts that play with the .sqf's have a Pause before the final save and clean-up.
This is so you can go and look/play with stuff.

Have a look at the script(s) you are using.
Get to know where the Pause's are and remember you can always add one if you need to....

Cheers
jbv

Postby KazzaMozz » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:25 am

Hi Jbv
I understand the pauses etc. The problem is and maybe I used the wrong terminology for snapshot.
I would...
1) do a 95-load which will put the installed version of XBMC into /tmp/sqf-snap
2) edit 95-load to load the special known good version of XMBC into a different directory such as /tmp/sqf-xbmc

I should have said the sqf-snap after create only lasted 60 seconds and went into limbo land. Very different to the first time using it. The load nothing happens II didn't get the chance to do anythin with tmp/sqf-snap as it flashed up and then deleted itself.

This is why I know something is broken and I will begin again. I only had this problem today and not previously. I have been able to fiddle with the sqf-snap and see what's been save etc. Up till today all has worked as it should. I think something is corrupted.
Cheers
KazzaMozz
KazzaMozz

Postby jbv » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:36 am

Bizare.

You haven't got them both named with a valid .squahsfs extension have you?
I don't know what that would do, other than create a mess :)

At this point, I would probably rename both .sqfs to be .noload (with the stick in my Windoze machine) and restart

Then just manually load the sqfs from a console window
unsquashfs -d /tmp/sqf-myxbmc /live/image/live/95-snap.squashfs.noload
unsquashfs -d /tmp/sqf-xbmcok /live/image/live/jbvs-working-xmbc.squashfs.noload

Of course, you would season the physical filenames on the stick to be something requiring less typing :)

Cheers
jbv

Postby KazzaMozz » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:10 pm

Hi there Jbv
nope haven't done anything bizarre like that.
Only use Linux no Windblows here.
I'm sure this is just a glitch I now know and fairly sure it's because my son decided to see what would happen if he did an upgrade from the synaptic package manager. Cheeky bugger thought it would be funny to see if it stuffed something up. Finally owned up when he realised everything had gone pearshaped. Hilarious not. :roll:
As I said this only started today since that so a fresh beginning and I'm sure it will all be well.

Cheers
KazzaMozz

Postby KazzaMozz » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:03 pm

He Brenton
this I need to do..............especially after todays disaster
From here, I would...
1) do a 95-load which will put the installed version of XBMC into /tmp/sqf-snap
2) edit 95-load to load the special known good version of XMBC into a different directory such as /tmp/sqf-xbmc
- you only need to change 2 lines in 95-load these are lines 3 and 4.
- if you want to, you could just save with a new filename and then drop the script into /live/image/live so you've got it for next time.
- Remember one of the real benefits of a pure USB setup is that nothing changes unless you specifically save it, so you can always hack a script and not worry about breaking it. If you mess it up, the master is still in the original .squashfs file and returning to a clean system is only as far away as a reboot.

After you run your modified 95-load or whatever you've called it
You can just browse both /tmp/sqf-xxx directories and see what I cut out while making notes along the way 8-)
- tip, use XFexplorer and change the View to be Two-Panels ;)

Kinda of did this but missed the
- you only need to change 2 lines in 95-load these are lines 3 and 4.

Could swear right about now.............
Frig wish I read this earlier :lol: got caught up with other tasks.
Thanks for the info. I'll get there in the end. yep like a dog with a bone! :twisted:

Cheers
KazzaMozz

Postby KazzaMozz » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:24 pm

Hi Everyone
this might come in handy when XBMC is up and running successfully.
Nice guide for XBMC. Not for the purposes of installing as it's for a Linux Mint install. I think for the most part it is quite an easy to follow basic guide.
Sickbeard, couchpotato and a few others.
http://www.google.com/cse?cx=partner-pu ... gsc.page=1
http://www.ainer.org/xbmc-install-setup ... nux-mint/2

Cheers
KazzaMozz

Postby jbv » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:00 pm

KazzaMozz wrote: ... Kazzas Baby Intel based video.

Great choice of machine to use - expect a decent level of support :)

1 laptop for notes and rechecking steps..
Clean USB
Load up 686-Bigmem
Remove .noload from 011-Realtek_IntelHDA.squash
Sound is working.

Cool. I'm with you to here.

apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-intel (10MBs of space)
Y to continue
apt-get install mesa-utils (22.7kB/s)

Can I ask what this does?
Are they accelerated GLX drivers for the N10 (Atom chipset) Video drivers?
If not, what value to they add?
- As you know my main FoxyRoxy dev machine is also a Gigabyte GA-D525TUD and I haven't loaded these.

95-create

Sweet, that saves what changes you have just made.
95-load
Intels have been loaded
95-save

If you did not edit or do anything to manually clean-up the /tmp/95-snap directory that was created when you did the 95-load then this did nothing.

reboot
glxgears (when I go back to terminal there are errors) but it works.
exit

glxgears requires X, so you should start-X, then open a terminal/console window to run this. It should not have errors - especially on a GA-D525TUD board. Oh hang-on a sec. Let me test something. Darn, glxgears is not in 01-FoxyRoxy it is only in the NVIDIA sqf.
Is that why you installed the messa-utils?
Sorry, I will put it into 01-FoxyRoxy before making the public release of DevRel_03

In the meantime, you can manually load the .squash.noload file from the old NVIDIA sqf or from RevRel_03
Assuming you are using DevRel_03 or can copy the 011-FoxyNVIDIA.squashfs.noload from DevRel_03 to your current FoxyRoxy stick...
The command line will be:

unsquashfs -d /live/image/live/ -d /tmp/95-test /live/image/live/011-FoxyROxy/NVIDIA.squashfs.noload

You will then find glxgears in /tmp/95-test/usr/bin

If you want to put it into your real 02-FoxyDesktop use 02-load copy it into /tmp/sqf-FoxyDesktop, then use 02-save which will save the updated FoxyDesktop. Note, this will put it into the 02-FoxyDesktop on the stick, but it won't be visible to the system yet, so you will still need to copy it to the real /usr/bin unless you want to restart. ... Always, keep in mind that you are working on an overlaid filesystem and just because you change the .sqf using the load/save combo, the "system" wont see these changes until you restart... I know this gets screwy, but such is life with a "live" system.

Copy the new 01 & 02 Roxys to a backup for if they get stuffed up.
Use the special (XBMC)
Reboot
Load up XBMC (working)
\ to give me desktop back with XBMC window.

Sorry to tell you this, but the "special" XBMC should have worked out of the box on the GA-D525TUD
I will confirm 100% tomorrow after work. - Sorry, it's late now and I should be in bed sleeping.

So I'm posting this for now and will continue maybe after a cuppa, they weather is pretty terrible and I might
lose the power again :(

Yeah, I did hear a little about this on the radio news tonight.
I have to admit, I just thought, "sucks to live in Melbourne ... so, what's new :lol: " - Sorry - Joke Joyce :lol:

Hope you and family are all okay and that you have paid the power bill, so you can phone and complain :)

Cheers, Brenton
jbv

Postby jbv » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:19 pm

Okay, I know it's late, but it got the better of me, so I had to test it.

As I am currently testing DevRel_03, the first DevRel_02 stick I grabbed had the completed LMS stuff (yeah, sorry Steen - I did find it - bit late - please forgive me) and it also had the NVIDIA drivers already patched in as it was last used on my main Windoze machine. Darn. Easy fix. Grab the CD I made from the DevRel_02.iso (yes folks, this stuff really is tested properly - I actually burn a CD before posting the ISO) and copy 01-FoxyRoxy, 02-FoxyDesktop, 011-Realtek_IntelHDA.squashfs.noload, to the /live directory of the stick. Now pop the stick into the FoxyMachine and power-up.

Watch the startup messages (yes, I watch those too and pretty much know what they are all saying, and yes, I can and do spot errors and can assure you there are none to worry about). See that the sound isn't right before the login prompt. Puck. Forgot to rename the .noload on Realtek sound. Alt-F2 to login to tty2 in console mode. Rename the realtek file so it loads next time, "shutdown -r now" (I use that a lot). System restarts, all is clean.

Login, [TaskBar Menu] --> [Sound & Video] ... What the heck is "ISO Master" doing there ? That's not the right place. Darn, fix the .desktop entry in the final release of DevRel_03 coz it's probably the same there too. Anyway, XBMC is there. Select it, wait a while .... It does take about 5-10 seconds to start. Sure enough it is running and working fine.

So, I can confirm that with the GA-D525TUD, you don't need to do anything.
Just make sure you have the Realtek sound drivers loading, then use the special XBMC you have, and it will work.

Now, I really am going to bed ...

Goodnight, Brenton
jbv

Postby SBP » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:54 pm

jbv wrote:As I am currently testing DevRel_03, the first DevRel_02 stick I grabbed had the completed LMS stuff (yeah, sorry Steen - I did find it - bit late - please forgive me)

Goodnight, Brenton

Hi Brenton, nothing to forgive. You helped me a lot, and actually Im using LMS on FoxyRoxy for my music system through the whole house right now, everything is fine.

But I kind of liked being involved in debugging the LMS stuff ect, so now when this is working fine I hope that I can help with other things in FoxyRoxy, it was kind of fun.
So please let me know if there is anything you would like me to help with.

I figure that I will write a Howto about the LMS stuff, but should probably wait for dev0.3.
SBP

Postby KazzaMozz » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:01 pm

Hi Brenton & Steen
we are all up too late
XBMC the real one now works. I will do the NVIDIA load up tommorrow but I have her worked out now. Easy from here-on
I have this working on the Intel 525UTD Atom, with reboot and the Intel drivers loaded and all's sweet with the world
and now I'm really going to bed to
cheers
Kazza
KazzaMozz

PreviousNext

Return to Other Stuff