installation of logitech mediaserver [SOLVED]

This looks like a good place for it

installation of logitech mediaserver [SOLVED]

Postby SBP » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:44 pm

Hi

I have been using Foxyroxy for some days now, and already have done some progress:
I changed my keyboard language as per you instructions -- very fine.
I changed Firefox settings, saved with 99-snap -- very nice idea.
I changed minidnla and samba config files with 99-snap -- working very well

I have now installed LogitechMediaserverfrom (LMS)this link: http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightl ... 52_all.deb
It installs without any problem, and as soon as it is installed it is present on my network, and I can through my Logitech music equipment (a Logitech Duet and a Logitec Radio) play my music files.
The LMS is a server which serves music to the Logitech players. It serves music from my attached HDD.

BUT here is my first question, how do I get Foxyroxy to "save" the installed program. 99-snap does not save it.

Another problem/question I have is:
1. I understand that Foxyroxy does not write to the USB stick, so is it running everything in RAM? if yes what about log files, when are they written to the stick?

2. What about installed programs like LogitechMediaServer (LMS) are they also running in RAM, and what about the database file that it creates, can it somehow be saved or does it need to be recreated after every reboot. It is located in /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache

Thanks
Steen
Last edited by SBP on Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SBP

Re: Installed Debian Package - How to save in Foxyroxy?

Postby saintless » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:07 pm

Hi, Steen,

you can save the new installed programs with 95-create script or with this command:
Code: Select all
mksquashfs /live/cow /live/image/live/95-my-save-file.squashfs

Both will do the job.

All log files etc will be written into RAM and will not be saved without running a script after reboot.
I'm sure JBV will answer better to this question later.

My suggestion to you is to use live-rw save file. This way you don't need to run a script every time when you install new program. The changes will be saved in a save file similar to Puppy save file.
To create live-rw save file type this command:
dd if=/dev/null of=live-rw bs=1M seek=500
mkfs.ext2 -F "live-rw"

It will create 500 Mb live-rw file formatted with ext2.
Move this file on the top of any hard drive partition or USB stick or SD-Card. Don't put it inside any folder. It has to be on the top of the partition.
To make FoxyRoxy to use this save file after boot you need to add word persistent in live.cfg. Here is an example:
       label live-bigmem
       menu label Live BigMem
       kernel /live/vmlinuz3
       append initrd=/live/initrd3.img boot=live config persistent max_loop=128 quickreboot noprompt autologin username=root password=roxy
saintless

Postby jbv » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:22 pm

Hi Steen,

I would not suggest using a live-rw file unless you have copied the FoxyRoxy .sqf files onto a hard disk.

Do not not put a live-rw file on a USB stick or an SD-Card.
If you do, it will write every change to the USB/SDcard and slow the system down.
More importantly, it will kill the stick or card in no time.

After installing Logitech Media Server, run the 95-create script.
This will create a file called 95-snap.squashfs with all of you additions.

This script will save the freshly installed package along while taking a snapshot of all other changes made to the system since power-up, into 95-snap.
I would then use the 95-load script which will load the sqf into /tmp where you can review what was saved and carve out the things that are not needed. Once you have cleaned what was saved, you can use the 95-save script.

Give me a day or two and I will try to explain things about RAM a little more.

Notes:
use 95-create if you have not use it before, or you want to over-write a 95-snap file previously created.
use 95-refresh if you want to include the latest changes into a 95-snap file you are currently working with.
jbv

Postby jbv » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:35 pm

Hi Steen,

I've just installed the SlimServer and had a very quick look.
On restart, you will get some error messages before the login prompt.
Ignore them.

The SlimServer plays with stuff in init.d and rcx.d
I may not get to look at the start-up stuff until the weekend.

It looks like it works, although I can't test it.
It also looks as though it chews up quite a bit of the processors time.

Do you know what configuration files it has and where they normally live?

Cheers
jbv

Postby saintless » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:55 am

jbv wrote:I would not suggest using a live-rw file unless you have copied the FoxyRoxy .sqf files onto a hard disk.

I never used this way my self before but you can use your USB bootable FoxyRoxy stick while your live-rw save file is on the hard drive. FoxyRoxy should use the save file from there and will write the changes on the hard drive.

jbv wrote:Do not not put a live-rw file on a USB stick or an SD-Card.
If you do, it will write every change to the USB/SDcard and slow the system down.
More importantly, it will kill the stick or card in no time.

I agree. Maybe the best choice if you don't have external hard drive is to get internal one with usb cable. It will boot and work just like the flash drive. The problem is it is much bigger than the flash stick.
saintless

Postby SBP » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:23 am

Hi saintless and jvb

Thank you for your continued help.

My plan with this thin client I'm using is to use it as a server for the whole family, where we can put our photos, videos, music and important files.

One of the good things of FoxyRoxyLinux in my view is precisely that it is a read-only system, so that it will be robust and can survive a power cut without problems. Therefore I will not install FoxyRoxy on a HDD, but will continue to try to use either a CF-card or a USB stick.

Later today I will try to use 95-create - in order to see if LogitechMediaServer can survive a reboot!!

I know that LogitechMediaServer saves its config files and database in /var/lib/squeezeboxserver and its subdirectories but also in /var/cache and subdirectories.
LogitechMediaServer will automatically scan the media HDD for changes in music files and add them to its database, if it finds that new files have been added to the HDD.

I don't know if you are familiar with LMS, but it can be configured through its webpage which is the IP address of you foxyroxy computer using port 9000, so use something like: 192.168.1.23:9000

The changes in Init.d and rcx.d are made in order for LogitechMediaServer to autostart after a reboot.
SBP

Postby jbv » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:10 am

Hi Steen,

Got-it and understand. While I have no use for the LogitechMediaServer (LMS), I do know it is a media server and it is also quite popular. For this reason, I'll play with it over the next few days.

Tonight (after a few hours of messing with scripts), I think I've finally fixed a somewhat major "glitch" with miniDNLA (a package I use an awful lot) and it's being pedantic about having a valid IP address before it starts.

I've now got that sorted to a point that I am happy with it and it works in as many environments as I can test. It is also smart enough to timeout after about 10 second on a headless machine or a machine that things have gone horribly wrong on (while letting a person see what is happening and bypass it if they want).

Over the next few days (nights), I will follow-up on my concept of stripping all of the init.d and rcx.d stuff and popping them into their own .sqf and let this be updated by insserv. If I can get this right (which I am sure I can), it will mean that you will be able to use sysv-rc-conf from a console/terminal prompt and configure what services actually run at start-up. I don't think any other .sqf based version of Debian can do this. I'm not sure about other .sqf based distros like Puppy, although I don't think they handle this gracefully either.

Anyway, give me a few days (I may need the weekend), and I'm pretty sure I can get this running as smooth as silk. While I'm doing this, I will look at the LMS and I'm sure I can come up with a decent solution that will suit both our goals. In many ways it is the same as miniDNLA in that it has a database that it updated, although LMS gets a little messier in that it has add-ons.

As you can rebuild the database without any real issues, and it is always updated, I'm thinking that the database should live on a hard-drive. That is my intent with miniDNLA and I can't see why LMS should be any different. The only real thing are the plug-ins that LMS allows. Once again, my thought is to just drop them on the hard-drive. You can always download them again, or keep the download file on another drive. This technique shouldn't break anything and keeps my principle of not wring back to the USB unless you intend to.

Anyway, give me a few days and I'll let you know how I'm traveling.

Cheers
jbv

Postby SBP » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:44 pm

Hi I have been reading about your work on the control of scripts and services in your other tread.

Nonetheless I have continued to try to get LMS server running on my FoxyRoxylinux - it installs beautifully and is fully functional afterwards. I can choose which plugins I need (almost none) and set the music directory from inside the LMS. Then let it scan my HDD for music files and covers (and this is when it is very CPU consuming) but when the scanning is done it doesn't use too much of my CPU.

Then I use 95-create and the 95-squashfs file is written. As I don't know at the moment what I need to carve out of this file, I just reboot after the file is created. FoxyRoxy loads the 95-squashfs file fine, and it seems like the LMS is starting - BUT it is not running.

I can't start it with the following command /etc/init.d/logitechmediaserver start. The script seems to be OK, as the response is correct as it writes "Making sure that Logitech Media Server is not running first: no process in pidfile '/var/run/logitechmediaserver.pid' found running; none killed. Starting Logitech Media Server, but LMS is not starting?? There is nothing in the logfiles.

Do you have any idea what to try - should I wait until you are a bit further with controlling the start-up services?

If I use the "top" command in a terminal window I can see that the LMS is popping up for short periods and then dissapears, so it seems like it is starting and the rapidly dies (within a few seconds) - could it be because it need to be able to write to a certain file which is not possible after loading from the 95-squashfs?

Steen
SBP

Postby jbv » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:33 pm

Hi Steen,

Interesting. This is what I saw. Not having any devices to test against, I thought the behavior shown with "top" was normal and that LMS was working.

I have noticed that some packages can misbehave if a specific file or directory does not exist, as they can't (won't/don't) re-create them, which I consider a bug on the part of the developer, although it becomes "our issue" :). Without looking it is hard to tell what the problem may be.

Have you used the 99-snap to save the local desktop and configuration?
It is possible that LMS may be writing to something in /home that lives in our 99-snap.
If so, on system power-up, the file in 99-snap will overlay anything that was placed in 95-snap by LMS.

This may be causing LMS some grief. - You could easily test this yourself by installing LMS, using 95-create then renaming 99-snap to be 94-snap before restarting FoxyRoxy. If LMS then runs properly on the restart, there is something we have saved in our config file, that LMS needs to play with.

I will have a look at all of this over the weekend. To help me...

Do you know of a way I can tell if LMS is working properly without any client devices?
Is there a quick and dirty Windows client Application I can install that won't do horrid things to any of my Windows machines and will un-install quickly and easily?

Now that I know the behavior show by "top" is wrong, do either LXtask or System Monitor show any "typical" behavior when the LMS is working properly? Can you give me an idea as to what LMS normally does when running properly?

Cheers
jbv

Postby SBP » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:52 am

jbv wrote: Have you used the 99-snap to save the local desktop and configuration?
It is possible that LMS may be writing to something in /home that lives in our 99-snap.
If so, on system power-up, the file in 99-snap will overlay anything that was placed in 95-snap by LMS.

Yes I have used the 99-snap as well. I will test if LMS is working without using the 99-snap file.

jbv wrote:Do you know of a way I can tell if LMS is working properly without any client devices?
Is there a quick and dirty Windows client Application I can install that won't do horrid things to any of my Windows machines and will un-install quickly and easily?Cheers

The easiest way is if you use Firefox on your FoxyRoxy computer and in the address field write "localhost:9000" you should see the LMS configuration page in your firefox webbrowser. If not then LMS is not running.

You could also install a software music-player on your windows computer, which then can connect to a running LMS on your FoxyRoxy computer and play your music files. it can be found here: http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightl ... -setup.exe. But before you can use it you need to configure LMS, so that it knows where your music files are located. So I would start using the Firefox method I described just above.

Steen
SBP

Next

Return to Other Stuff