installation of logitech mediaserver [SOLVED]

This looks like a good place for it

Re: Installed Debian Package - How to save in Foxyroxy?

Postby jbv » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:15 am

schweet ... tanks. <fx:me being a goon> :lol:

Will try all of those once I've nailed the NVIDIA thing, which I think I'm about "" <- this close to :D

Cheers
jbv

Postby jbv » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:18 am

Hi Steen,

The news is not what I had hoped for.

LMS is a brain-dead heap of excrement. From what I've seen it doesn't even work properly in a Windows XP environment. It's starting to do my head in, but I haven't given up.

I'm pretty sure it is a permissions thing, but what permissions where is the bit that I'm stumped on right now. I can' tell if it is starting the MySQL server properly, logging into it properly or where things are going nuts. I've started to re-write their service start/stop script in the hope that I can get a little more debugging info, but I'm going to pull stumps for the night. After having such a good day yesterday with the NVIDIA driver and XBMC, I was really expecting this one to be a no-brainer. Man, didn't I dig a hole for myself :lol:

As above, I haven't given up on it yet, so leave it with me for a few days.

BTW, it is nothing to do with FoxyRoxy or the 99-snap script, it is definitely a LMS thing. Their forum is full of people crying for help and I haven't seen one sensible answer or resolution.

Quick Question ... Do Logitech still sell the client devices?

Is it possible that this is a way to end support for the product? - make a server that no-one can get running, then claim that the market abandoned the product so as a company you are now free to EOL it :lol: ... It's sure looking that way.

At one point, after install, I had my Samsung TV playing a video file, a WDLive-TV playing some audio files and a Windows machine playing another set of audio files. With another WDLive-TV playing a different video file from miniDLNA which was running at the same time. The CPU overhead was still less than 1% :eek:, so it has potential....

Cheers
jbv

Postby SBP » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:30 am

Hi Jbv.

I have also been trying to see if I could be of any help - but I haven't come much longer.
I started from scratch, so I haven't used 99-create or 95-create on this USB-pen.

What I see is that it installs fine, and at this time everything is working. I can go into its configuration webpage (localhost:9000) or from another computer (<Foxyroxy comp IP>:9000). I can connect my Logitech equipment (a Logitech Radio and a Logitech Duet player) and it plays music fine. So everything is working fine.
Using the top command still shows that "squeezeboxserver" pops up from time to time, so this is probably as it should be.

Then I create the 95 squashfs file by 95-create, and reboot.

At start-up it seems correct, it tells me that LMS is starting, but it is not - I can't connect to it in any way. Using the top command it looks like when it is running fine.

I noticed during installation of LMS the following information:
root@debian:~# dpkg -i /media/Seagate_FreeAgent_Go_2GE957HB-/Squeezeboxserver/logitechmediaserver_7.7.3~1342008352_all.deb
Selecting previously deselected package logitechmediaserver.
(Reading database ... 45526 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking logitechmediaserver (from .../logitechmediaserver_7.7.3~1342008352_all.deb) ...
Setting up logitechmediaserver (7.7.3~1342008352) ...
Adding system user `squeezeboxserver' (UID 105) ...
Adding new user `squeezeboxserver' (UID 105) with group `nogroup' ...
Not creating home directory `/usr/share/squeezeboxserver'.
Making sure that Logitech Media Server is not running first: No process in pidfile '/var/run/logitechmediaserver.pid' found running; none killed.
Starting Logitech Media Server.
root@debian:~#

Can it have something to do with the addition of new user's?

EDIT 1: Using the command pdbedit -L on the Foxyroxycomputer only returns:
user: 1000:Debian Live user

Whereas the same command on my Voyage linux computer running LMS without problems the same command returns:
root@voyage:/# pdbedit -L
nobody:65534:nobody
root:0:root

Hope you can find a solution

EDIT2: So if works fine as long as I keep the computer on, from the first install. But as soon as it reboots, then it won't start anymore.
Regarding your question if Logitech still sells clients - yes they do, you can buy a Logitech Radio http://www.logitech.com/en-us/speakers- ... ic-systems
and a Logitech Touch http://www.logitech.com/en-us/speakers- ... ebox-touch
SBP

Postby jbv » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:28 am

Thanks Steen, I will follow-up on (re-read) your message later.

Since posting my last reply I have decided that the problem is in the PERL stuff. God only knows why people keep choosing fancy shyte languages, to try and write fancy shyte, when they don't under stand the fancy shyte, or test the freaking crap they produce. Why on earth can't they write the stuff in ASM or C as God intended? At least then you need to have a bit of a brain to make something, and you usually test it to know that it works. The twits that wrote this crap are very game putting their names in the Credits ... It's almost as if they are proud of it, or perhaps they are just trying to get a higher google-hit than their fb pages <fx:vent_mode = OFF> ... I feel better now :)

I'm amazed that Logitech are still trying to flog clients.
From what I've seen, no-one can get the freaking server to run!

I'll crack it though.
I don't give up easily, and this is really starting to piss me off :evil:
I may take a day or two off though and attack it with a clean head.

Cheers :)
jbv

Postby SBP » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:09 pm

Hi jvb

Sorry for all the trouble with the LMS server.

I have been digging deeper into the issue with users and groups and I don't think that this is the problem.

On a FoxyRoxy computer after a reboot (when LMS is not working) I get this
root@debian:~# groups squeezeboxserver
squeezeboxserver : nogroup
root@debian:~#

This is exactly the same I get on a working LMS on a Voyage linux:
root@voyage:/# groups squeezeboxserver
squeezeboxserver : nogroup
root@voyage:/#

So it seem like the group and the user survive a reboot. The server is trying to start but I think it die rapidly and try to restart.

Maybe this is important. If I try to install LMS after a reboot, so that it already have LMS installed through 95-create, then in installs and LMS is once again working.
I noticed that it needed to change "ownership" of several files to "nogroup" I think that this might be important? Here is the full log from the install:

root@debian:~# dpkg -i /media/Seagate_FreeAgent_Go_2GE957HB-/Squeezeboxserver/logitechmediaserver_7.7.3~1342008352_all.deb
(Reading database ... 49632 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace logitechmediaserver 7.7.3~1342008352 (using .../logitechmediaserver_7.7.3~1342008352_all.deb) ...
Stopping Logitech Media Server.
Unpacking replacement logitechmediaserver ...
Setting up logitechmediaserver (7.7.3~1342008352) ...
changed ownership of `/etc/squeezeboxserver/convert.conf' to squeezeboxserver:nogroup
changed ownership of `/etc/squeezeboxserver/modules.conf' to squeezeboxserver:nogroup
changed ownership of `/etc/squeezeboxserver/slimservice-convert.conf' to squeezeboxserver:nogroup
changed ownership of `/etc/squeezeboxserver/types.conf' to squeezeboxserver:nogroup
changed ownership of `/etc/squeezeboxserver' to squeezeboxserver:nogroup
changed ownership of `/var/lib/squeezeboxserver/Plugins' to squeezeboxserver:nogroup
changed ownership of `/var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache/DownloadedPlugins' to squeezeboxserver:nogroup
changed ownership of `/var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache/InstalledPlugins' to squeezeboxserver:nogroup
changed ownership of `/var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache/cache.db' to squeezeboxserver:nogroup
changed ownership of `/var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache/cache.db-shm' to squeezeboxserver:nogroup
changed ownership of `/var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache/cache.db-wal' to squeezeboxserver:nogroup
changed ownership of `/var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache/extrastrings.json' to squeezeboxserver:nogroup
changed ownership of `/var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache/icons/picks.png' to squeezeboxserver:nogroup
changed ownership of `/var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache/icons/radiolocal.png' to squeezeboxserver:nogroup
changed ownership of `/var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache/icons/radiomusic.png' to squeezeboxserver:nogroup
changed ownership of `/var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache/icons/radiosearch.png' to squeezeboxserver:nogroup
changed ownership of `/var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache/icons/radioworld.png' to squeezeboxserver:nogroup
changed ownership of `/var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache/icons' to squeezeboxserver:nogroup
changed ownership of `/var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache/infobrowser.opml' to squeezeboxserver:nogroup
changed ownership of `/var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache/infobrowser.opml.backup' to squeezeboxserver:nogroup
changed ownership of `/var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache/library.db' to squeezeboxserver:nogroup
changed ownership of `/var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache/library.db-shm' to squeezeboxserver:nogroup
changed ownership of `/var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache/library.db-wal' to squeezeboxserver:nogroup
changed ownership of `/var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache/persist.db' to squeezeboxserver:nogroup
changed ownership of `/var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache/persist.db-shm' to squeezeboxserver:nogroup
changed ownership of `/var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache/persist.db-wal' to squeezeboxserver:nogroup
changed ownership of `/var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache/plugin-data.yaml' to squeezeboxserver:nogroup
changed ownership of `/var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache/stringcache.i686-linux.bin' to squeezeboxserver:nogroup
changed ownership of `/var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache/templates/18d9d18d81822ae8723d0cc28535c5b6' to squeezeboxserver:nogroup
changed ownership of `/var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache/templates/1afd2d969ff53892d665bd21f3376913' to squeezeboxserver:nogroup
changed ownership of `/var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache/templates/34c983ebf8358609262d344dbee890dd' to squeezeboxserver:nogroup
changed ownership of `/var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache/templates/54f2794f5dc4b41b21222c174882c17f' to squeezeboxserver:nogroup
changed ownership of `/var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache/templates/a5bccf02f40c21a1efb6cbb01faad0a4' to squeezeboxserver:nogroup
changed ownership of `/var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache/templates/f11756487ccd1e8c70d643ab35222303' to squeezeboxserver:nogroup
changed ownership of `/var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache/templates' to squeezeboxserver:nogroup
changed ownership of `/var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache/updates' to squeezeboxserver:nogroup
changed ownership of `/var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache' to squeezeboxserver:nogroup
changed ownership of `/var/lib/squeezeboxserver/prefs/log.conf' to squeezeboxserver:nogroup
changed ownership of `/var/lib/squeezeboxserver/prefs/plugin/audioscrobbler.prefs' to squeezeboxserver:nogroup
changed ownership of `/var/lib/squeezeboxserver/prefs/plugin/cli.prefs' to squeezeboxserver:nogroup
changed ownership of `/var/lib/squeezeboxserver/prefs/plugin/datetime.prefs' to squeezeboxserver:nogroup
changed ownership of `/var/lib/squeezeboxserver/prefs/plugin/extensions.prefs' to squeezeboxserver:nogroup
changed ownership of `/var/lib/squeezeboxserver/prefs/plugin/infobrowser.prefs' to squeezeboxserver:nogroup
changed ownership of `/var/lib/squeezeboxserver/prefs/plugin/jiveextras.prefs' to squeezeboxserver:nogroup
changed ownership of `/var/lib/squeezeboxserver/prefs/plugin/randomplay.prefs' to squeezeboxserver:nogroup
changed ownership of `/var/lib/squeezeboxserver/prefs/plugin/rescan.prefs' to squeezeboxserver:nogroup
changed ownership of `/var/lib/squeezeboxserver/prefs/plugin/rssnews.prefs' to squeezeboxserver:nogroup
changed ownership of `/var/lib/squeezeboxserver/prefs/plugin/state.prefs' to squeezeboxserver:nogroup
changed ownership of `/var/lib/squeezeboxserver/prefs/plugin' to squeezeboxserver:nogroup
changed ownership of `/var/lib/squeezeboxserver/prefs/server.prefs' to squeezeboxserver:nogroup
changed ownership of `/var/lib/squeezeboxserver/prefs' to squeezeboxserver:nogroup
changed ownership of `/var/lib/squeezeboxserver' to squeezeboxserver:nogroup
changed ownership of `/var/log/squeezeboxserver/perfmon.log' to squeezeboxserver:nogroup
changed ownership of `/var/log/squeezeboxserver/scanner.log' to squeezeboxserver:nogroup
changed ownership of `/var/log/squeezeboxserver/server.log' to squeezeboxserver:nogroup

insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/alsa-utils, ../rc0.d/K02alsa-utils): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/umountfs, ../rc0.d/K09umountfs): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/umountnfs.sh, ../rc0.d/K05umountnfs.sh): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/sendsigs, ../rc0.d/K03sendsigs): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/atd, ../rc0.d/K02atd): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/rsyslog, ../rc0.d/K04rsyslog): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/hwclock.sh, ../rc0.d/K07hwclock.sh): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/exim4, ../rc0.d/K02exim4): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/networking, ../rc0.d/K07networking): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/ifupdown, ../rc0.d/K08ifupdown): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/fuse, ../rc0.d/K02fuse): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/gpm, ../rc0.d/K02gpm): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/lighttpd, ../rc0.d/K02lighttpd): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/minidlna, ../rc0.d/K02minidlna): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/nfs-kernel-server, ../rc0.d/K02nfs-kernel-server): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/nfs-common, ../rc0.d/K06nfs-common): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/portmap, ../rc0.d/K06portmap): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/samba, ../rc0.d/K02samba): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/urandom, ../rc0.d/K02urandom): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/umountroot, ../rc0.d/K10umountroot): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/halt, ../rc0.d/K12halt): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/live-boot, ../rc0.d/K11live-boot): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/alsa-utils, ../rc1.d/K02alsa-utils): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/atd, ../rc1.d/K02atd): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/rsyslog, ../rc1.d/K04rsyslog): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/exim4, ../rc1.d/K02exim4): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/gpm, ../rc1.d/K02gpm): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/lighttpd, ../rc1.d/K02lighttpd): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/minidlna, ../rc1.d/K02minidlna): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/nfs-kernel-server, ../rc1.d/K02nfs-kernel-server): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/nfs-common, ../rc1.d/K06nfs-common): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/portmap, ../rc1.d/K06portmap): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/samba, ../rc1.d/K02samba): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/smartmontools, ../rc1.d/K02smartmontools): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/atd, ../rc2.d/S02atd): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/rsyslog, ../rc2.d/S01rsyslog): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/exim4, ../rc2.d/S02exim4): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/gpm, ../rc2.d/S02gpm): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/lighttpd, ../rc2.d/S02lighttpd): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/minidlna, ../rc2.d/S02minidlna): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/nfs-kernel-server, ../rc2.d/S18nfs-kernel-server): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/samba, ../rc2.d/S01samba): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/smartmontools, ../rc2.d/S02smartmontools): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/sudo, ../rc2.d/S01sudo): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/rmnologin, ../rc2.d/S19rmnologin): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/cron, ../rc2.d/S02cron): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/dbus, ../rc2.d/S02dbus): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/rsync, ../rc2.d/S02rsync): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/ssh, ../rc2.d/S02ssh): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/rc.local, ../rc2.d/S19rc.local): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/stop-bootlogd, ../rc2.d/S19stop-bootlogd): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/atd, ../rc3.d/S02atd): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/rsyslog, ../rc3.d/S01rsyslog): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/exim4, ../rc3.d/S02exim4): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/gpm, ../rc3.d/S02gpm): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/lighttpd, ../rc3.d/S02lighttpd): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/minidlna, ../rc3.d/S02minidlna): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/nfs-kernel-server, ../rc3.d/S18nfs-kernel-server): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/samba, ../rc3.d/S01samba): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/smartmontools, ../rc3.d/S02smartmontools): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/sudo, ../rc3.d/S01sudo): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/rmnologin, ../rc3.d/S19rmnologin): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/cron, ../rc3.d/S02cron): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/dbus, ../rc3.d/S02dbus): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/rsync, ../rc3.d/S02rsync): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/ssh, ../rc3.d/S02ssh): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/rc.local, ../rc3.d/S19rc.local): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/stop-bootlogd, ../rc3.d/S19stop-bootlogd): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/atd, ../rc4.d/S02atd): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/rsyslog, ../rc4.d/S01rsyslog): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/exim4, ../rc4.d/S02exim4): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/gpm, ../rc4.d/S02gpm): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/lighttpd, ../rc4.d/S02lighttpd): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/minidlna, ../rc4.d/S02minidlna): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/nfs-kernel-server, ../rc4.d/S18nfs-kernel-server): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/samba, ../rc4.d/S01samba): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/smartmontools, ../rc4.d/S02smartmontools): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/sudo, ../rc4.d/S01sudo): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/rmnologin, ../rc4.d/S19rmnologin): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/cron, ../rc4.d/S02cron): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/dbus, ../rc4.d/S02dbus): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/rsync, ../rc4.d/S02rsync): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/ssh, ../rc4.d/S02ssh): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/rc.local, ../rc4.d/S19rc.local): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/stop-bootlogd, ../rc4.d/S19stop-bootlogd): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/atd, ../rc5.d/S02atd): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/rsyslog, ../rc5.d/S01rsyslog): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/exim4, ../rc5.d/S02exim4): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/gpm, ../rc5.d/S02gpm): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/lighttpd, ../rc5.d/S02lighttpd): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/minidlna, ../rc5.d/S02minidlna): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/nfs-kernel-server, ../rc5.d/S18nfs-kernel-server): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/samba, ../rc5.d/S01samba): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/smartmontools, ../rc5.d/S02smartmontools): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/sudo, ../rc5.d/S01sudo): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/rmnologin, ../rc5.d/S19rmnologin): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/cron, ../rc5.d/S02cron): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/dbus, ../rc5.d/S02dbus): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/rsync, ../rc5.d/S02rsync): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/ssh, ../rc5.d/S02ssh): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/rc.local, ../rc5.d/S19rc.local): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/stop-bootlogd, ../rc5.d/S19stop-bootlogd): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/alsa-utils, ../rc6.d/K02alsa-utils): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/umountfs, ../rc6.d/K09umountfs): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/umountnfs.sh, ../rc6.d/K05umountnfs.sh): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/sendsigs, ../rc6.d/K03sendsigs): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/atd, ../rc6.d/K02atd): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/rsyslog, ../rc6.d/K04rsyslog): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/hwclock.sh, ../rc6.d/K07hwclock.sh): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/exim4, ../rc6.d/K02exim4): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/networking, ../rc6.d/K07networking): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/ifupdown, ../rc6.d/K08ifupdown): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/fuse, ../rc6.d/K02fuse): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/gpm, ../rc6.d/K02gpm): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/lighttpd, ../rc6.d/K02lighttpd): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/minidlna, ../rc6.d/K02minidlna): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/nfs-kernel-server, ../rc6.d/K02nfs-kernel-server): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/nfs-common, ../rc6.d/K06nfs-common): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/portmap, ../rc6.d/K06portmap): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/samba, ../rc6.d/K02samba): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/urandom, ../rc6.d/K02urandom): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/umountroot, ../rc6.d/K10umountroot): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/reboot, ../rc6.d/K12reboot): File exists
insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/live-boot, ../rc6.d/K11live-boot): File exists
Making sure that Logitech Media Server is not running first: start-stop-daemon: warning: failed to kill 3195: No such process
No process in pidfile '/var/run/logitechmediaserver.pid' found running; none killed.
Starting Logitech Media Server.
Last edited by SBP on Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SBP

Postby SBP » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:25 pm

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Changing all the mentioned squeezebox directories and files manually to group=nogroup and user=squeezeboxserver SOLVED the problem.

Now I can manually start the LMS by /etc/init.d/logitechmediaserver start - and everything is working on the 95-created instance of LMS.

Now I need your help, because I don't know how to get FoxyRoxy maintaining the correct ownership to the directories and files after a reboot.

EDIT: So in short; the problem seems to arise when making the "95-create" script, it changes the ownership of the squeezebox directories and files from "nogroup" and "squeezeboxserve" to root or something like that. You can see the precise files and directories in the above post - I have marked them now in red.

Steen
SBP

Postby jbv » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:46 pm

Hi Steen,

Congratulations, the fix will be straight forward from here.

Run 95-load
Type chown -R squeezeboxserver : nogroup /tmp/sqf-snap/etc/squeezeboxserver
Type chown -R squeezeboxserver : nogroup /tmp/sqf-snap/var/lib/squeezeboxserver
Type chown -R squeezeboxserver : nogroup /tmp/sqf-snap/var/log/squeezeboxserver
Run 95-save

Not sure if you need a /* on the end of the line, or need to do it twice, once for files, once for dirs.

Or use the scripts to load/save and use XFE to change the permissions.
In XFE, select the directory, right-click = [properties], tab = [permissions], set [Owner] as required, check [Recursively], [Accept]

Either way, use XFE to check the permissions and ownership before you 95-save

That should fix it. If not let me know and I'll have a play early this evening.

Gotta fly now, let me know how you go.

Cheers
jbv

Postby SBP » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:51 pm

Thanks

I will try it, however, I'm gone to a conference the next two days, so I'm away from my ForyRoxy computer.

So no news from me before Wednesday - sorry
Steen
SBP

Postby jbv » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:31 am

Hi Steen,

I've confirmed. Open a Terminal/Console session and type...
Code: Select all
95-load
chown -R squeezeboxserver : nogroup /tmp/sqf-snap/etc/squeezeboxserver
chown -R squeezeboxserver : nogroup /tmp/sqf-snap/var/lib/squeezeboxserver
chown -R squeezeboxserver : nogroup /tmp/sqf-snap/var/log/squeezeboxserver
95-save
sync

On restart the LMS will be fine.

By the time you get home, I should have a few little tweaks that will let us move this thread in the Sorted section :)

[edit]
I owe the guys from Logitech a HUGE apology. The fault was mine :oops:
I wasn't copying the permissions when making the initial 95-create
I will fix this and post a replacement series of 95-x scripts in a day or two after I've made the ultimate LMS installer script (currently in progress).

This goes a long way to explain some other stuff I've seen in other distros/builds and will just make FoxyRoxy even better.

Cheers
jbv

Postby SBP » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:55 pm

Hi jbv

Nice to see that you solved the problem, I'm looking forward to try it when I come home.
I know that you spent a lot of time on this issue with LMS, sorry for that, but I'm really grateful that you did. Because for me LMS is an important part of the system I would like to build.
Hopefully the new 95-script will prevent other similar problems in the future, so the time we used on this issue is spent well.

Steen
SBP

PreviousNext

Return to Other Stuff