installation of logitech mediaserver [SOLVED]

This looks like a good place for it

Re: Logitech Media Server

Postby jbv » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:51 am

Hey Steen, that is great news.

I'm really happy to hear that you are now up and running.
The fact that FoxyRoxy seems better/smoother than you had before is also great news, although to be expected ;)

Sometime, one of us will really need to create an "idiots guide to Setting up your SqueezeBox Server", so that we can make it he first message in this thread, and then embark on a massive thread clean-up.

It would be really nice if one day, someone came along and delved into the LMS source to remove the silly user/permissions stuff.

For now, I think we can definitely consider this one as "closed" :)

Cheers
jbv

Postby SBP » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:08 am

Hi jvb

I have been using it for some hours now - and even rebooted a few times - and it seems stable.

BUT then I made some changes to the samba config and minidlna config and used the 95-create once, and a bit later used the 95-refresh. And this broke the LMS??

All the minidnla and samba stuff is working. But LMS won't start after a reboot. I tries but dies once again.

As a now experienced debugger, I soon found out that the permission of var/lib/squeezeboxserver and var/logsqueezeboxserver once again was changed into "root" and "root" ownership. So either 95-create or 95-refresh seems to change the ownership in all directories to root.
After manually changing these back to nogroup and squeezebox server everything is working again.

But how do I make these manually changed ownership to stik after a reboot?

Steen
SBP

Postby jbv » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:56 am

Hi Steen,

Where are the /var/lib and /var/log directories?
If they are on the ext3 partition of your USB-HDD then the 95-create or 95-refresh should not have touched them.
The fact that they have been flagged as being changed in "cow" indicates that they may not be.

I will have a refresh of all scripts within a day or two and this will be fixed then.

In the meantime, try this (after making copies of the .squashfs files in /live)

from a console/terminal session/window: 01-load

Using XFexplorer ... look in /tmp/sqf-foxyroxy/scripts

edit /tmp/sqf-foxyroxy/scripts/95-create
Code: Select all
change line 20:
to: cp -prf /live/cow/* $sqf_work"/"

edit /tmp/sqf-foxyroxy/scripts/95-refresh
change line 19:
to: cp -prf /live/cow/* $sqf_work"/"

from a console/terminal session/window: 01-save

Note: All we did was added the "Permissions" switch to the cp command, by placing the "p" in the switches.
It was a trap for new players, and it caught me out.

I think you have also applied the 99-snap patch.
It might be worth doing the following:
WARNING: The following is untested - use with care - if unsure, stop now
Open (edit) the following 3 files:
/scripts/99-snap
/scripts/99-load
/scripts/99-save
Near the top of each file you will find the following two lines:
sqf_filename="99-snap"
sqf_workdir="sqf-99snap"

change them to be:
sqf_filename="05-FoxyConfig"
sqf_workdir="sqf-config"

While you have /scripts/99-save open and in edit mode.
replace all occurrences of cp -rf with cp -prf
rename /scripts/99-load to be /scripts/05-load
rename /scripts/99-save to be /scripts/05-save
rename /live/image/live/99-snap.squashfs to be /live/image/live/05-FoxyConfig.squashfs
from a console/terminal session/window: 99-snap

The way 99-snap works it should "patch itself" so that you will have fixed the 99-snap script and will now be the first person to have 05-FoxyConfig.squashfs This will mean that all startup stuff that gets changed by installing programs and is saved by 95-create and/or 95-refresh will now "stick".

If all of this sounds to tricky or you are uncomfortable, then hang-in there for a few days.

Cheers
jbv

Postby SBP » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:39 am

jbv wrote:Where are the /var/lib and /var/log directories?
If they are on the ext3 partition of your USB-HDD then the 95-create or 95-refresh should not have touched them.
The fact that they have been flagged as being changed in "cow" indicates that they may not be.

They are NOT on the USB-stick which were ext3 formatted (and only used for holding database and config stuff). The var/lib and var/log directories is seen when starting XFexplorer and they are in the FoxyRoxy file system.

I think that it is strange, because I thought that we moved these files/directories to the attached USB-stick. But anyway LMS would not start until the ownership of these directories was changed.

As you can see on this screenshot from within LMS, it seems to have the correct locations of the files (LMSData is my USB-stick)

LMS_Foxy_screen.jpg
LMS_Foxy_screen.jpg (110.4 KiB) Viewed 4076 times

I will have a look on your proposal later
SBP

Postby jbv » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:11 pm

Looking at the screenshot, my guess is that it's the plug-ins stuff.

Look at the area you circled. See the last two items.

From memory, these are in the .conf file.
There are a few things in there and they are spread quite a way apart.
You may have missed one.... or two.

I'm happy enough to have another look a little later (when I'm further down the track with my stuff).

If LMS could read environment variable for stuff in the .conf file, we could make the whole darn thing self-configuring the way we do with our SQF files. Fix-up the silly permissions stuff (this will be somewhere in the source-code) and getting LMS running with the config files anywhere would be a real "no-brainer". While I know a few languages and I can make sense of Perl (which LMS is written in), it would take me longer than it should and to be honest with you Python is a little higher on my priority list for FoxyRoxy as this is what our TaskBar is written in and I have some "tweaks" I'd like to make there before I even consider playing with LMS. Now, if you can attract someone who is comfortable with Perl to look at FoxyRoxy and they would also like a super-HOT LMS server, then we'd be cooking :) ... Until then, I guess your stuck with what little help I can offer.

If my suggestions above don't help ... worst case; the next DevRel will sort it in a heartbeat - so just keep hacking and playing for a little while longer.

Cheers
jbv

Postby SBP » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:37 pm

Hi jvb

I managed to find a solution it seems to be a problem with LMS needing to write to the log file. As I would like to have the log file on my USB stick, I made the following change in the etc/init.d/logitechmedia file which you already had modyfied a little.

I made this change>
DESC="Logitech Media Server"
NAME=squeezeboxserver
NEWNAME=FoxyLMS
DAEMON=/usr/sbin/$NAME
PIDFILE=/var/run/$NEWNAME.pid
SCRIPTNAME=$0
SLIMUSER=$NAME
CHARSET=utf8
SLIMOPTIONS=""
LOGDIR=/media/LMSDAta/squeezeboxserver/log
PREFSDIR=/media/LMSDAta/squeezeboxserver/prefs
CACHEDIR=/media/LMSDAta/squeezeboxserver/cache

And made the directory /media/LMSDAta/squeezeboxserver/log with the correct ownership.

Then a 95-refresh and now LMS is starting fine after a reboot, and the changes I made to Samba on minidlna config files are still OK.
So it seems fine now.
STeen
SBP

Postby jbv » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:17 am

<fx:ROFLMAO> That was the part of the image you had covered with the big red line and it wasn't readable <fx:ROFLMAO>

Glad to hear that you got it sorted. I'm off to find some new emoticons :lol:

Cheers
jbv

Re: installation of logitech mediaserver [SOLVED]

Postby jbv » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:57 am

Hi Steen,

Not sure if you are still with us....

Has DevRel_03 broken any of your stuff?

Do the scripts still work as intended?

I did test them before releasing DevRel_03, and while you may need to reload/rebuild your LMS, my quick test showed that it still all hung together and worked okay. Could you please let me know if you've downloaded DevRel_03 and what the ramifications were for you, as I was really quite careful to consider the implications for you.

BTW, my motives are not purely altruistic, I quite like LMS.
Believe it or not, the thing I like about it the most are the "radio stations".
That alone makes it a true gem to me, and something I intend to use in a serious fashion.

In fact, I like this feature/capability of LMS that much, that one-day, I may even design and build my own machbox sized FoxyRoxy LMS player with a line-level output and small amplifier on board that can make a very simple, efficient, yet high quality LMS player. I'm thinking POE (power over Ethernet) ARM based (Ti) with ability to also make it plug-pack powered for WiFi use that can drive speakers directly - so wireless except for power. Can I do that, or will Logitech sue me?

Mind you, the way things are going, it may be 5 or 6 years till I get a chance to do this (sorry, I've got a wife, 3 kids and 2 dogs to feed while doing this), but WoW can you imagine it ... I can :)

Cheers, Brenton
jbv

Postby SBP » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:05 pm

jbv wrote:Hi Steen,

Not sure if you are still with us....

Has DevRel_03 broken any of your stuff?

Hi Brenton - yes I'm still here (I am sending you a PM to explain), so sorry for not being as active here as I would have liked to be. To tell you the truth, I have downloaded version_03 but I haven't had time to play with it. I think I will get there this week-end. Sorry.

jbv wrote:BTW, my motives are not purely altruistic, I quite like LMS.
Believe it or not, the thing I like about it the most are the "radio stations".
That alone makes it a true gem to me, and something I intend to use in a serious fashion.

In fact, I like this feature/capability of LMS that much, that one-day, I may even design and build my own machbox sized FoxyRoxy LMS player with a line-level output and small amplifier on board that can make a very simple, efficient, yet high quality LMS player. I'm thinking POE (power over Ethernet) ARM based (Ti) with ability to also make it plug-pack powered for WiFi use that can drive speakers directly - so wireless except for power. Can I do that, or will Logitech sue me?

Mind you, the way things are going, it may be 5 or 6 years till I get a chance to do this (sorry, I've got a wife, 3 kids and 2 dogs to feed while doing this), but WoW can you imagine it ... I can :)

Cheers, Brenton

This is exactly my plan as well. I have just bought a Raspberry pi, to be used as a LMS player. In fact someone already have made a image with a Squeezebox-player http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthrea ... y-Pi/page2.
As I have told you previously it most common to use a cli based player (it is very light on resources) it is called "Squeezeslave" and it is found here: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthrea ... 2-released
Actually what I would like to try is to make a very mean Squeezebox player build on a very slimmed down version of linux (only 8 MB) called microCore, which they are trying to port to the ARM system (tinycore linux: http://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/ ) and the porting is discussed here: http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?board=56.0

So I hope to be able to make a dedicated Squeezebox player based on Microcore linux and the squeezeslave player.

I promise that I will test Dev_03, and also write a nice HOW-TO, including some exaples on how to meke the best out of LMS.

PS: Do you remember that you thought that LMS was at then end of its life, when you struggled to install it - Now it seems like you were right. Logitech has decided to stop making new players based on this protocol.... But as we know that it is possible to use the software based clients, I think that it is still nice, and it should even be possible to synchronise several of the software clients through-out you house if you feel for that.

Steen
SBP

Postby jbv » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:05 pm

Hi Steen,

Great to know that you're still here, even if things are hectic for you right now.

Always remember the golden rule ... "It's only a hobby" !

No need to do anything with DR03 until you've got some time to mess around and just have fun.

Sort of sad news about Logitech EOL'ing it. I wonder what this means for the radio-station stuff in the medium to long term. I expect they will keep their servers up for a few years, but how long? and what happens to the radio station stuff if and when they do kill it?

Good thing I'm not planning to start my little thing next week :)

I didn't think the RasPi had an audio output?

Beagle Board does though...

I wont get to mess with LMS for a little while yet, but thanks for the links, they will definitely be used one day.

Cheers, Brenton
jbv

PreviousNext

Return to Other Stuff