installation of logitech mediaserver [SOLVED]

This looks like a good place for it

Re: installation of logitech mediaserver [SOLVED]

Postby SBP » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:17 am

jbv wrote:Hi Steen,
Sort of sad news about Logitech EOL'ing it. I wonder what this means for the radio-station stuff in the medium to long term. I expect they will keep their servers up for a few years, but how long? and what happens to the radio station stuff if and when they do kill it?

Yeah, I don't think their servers are so important, they are only for access to online streaming services like Spotify, Wimp, Pandore etc.
For the internet radio stations you can either add the URL of your preferred radio station directly in the LMS server, or make a playlist or use shoutcast (http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Internet_radio) so this functionality is not dependent upon Logitech Servers.

jbv wrote:Good thing I'm not planning to start my little thing next week :)
I didn't think the RasPi had an audio output?
Beagle Board does though...

I know that there are three ways to get audio out of a raspberry:
1. The stereo out (3.5 mm jack) - like the Beagle board, I don't know the quality of the sound.
2. HDMI which carry digital audio - and I think I will use that for connection to my amplifier which has a HDMI input
3. Many use a cheap USB to SPDIF soundcard.

Steen
SBP

Postby jbv » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:02 am

Hi Steen,

Nice to know the radio station stuff will still work even if they do kill the servers in a few years.
We need to remember that and "document" it somewhere. Better yet, grab the list/links sometime between now and when they do kill them, work out what need to be saved before the lights go out, and do it.

I think what intrigues me the most about the radio stations, is not so much that you can listen to local stations, which is neat in itself, but the real gem is that it opens the entire world to you.

Funny you should tell me about the stereo output on the RasPi. I got a junk mailer from element14 today and it happened to feature ARM dev-boards and of course it was quite heavy on making the RasPi sound like Gods gift to Engineers <rx:roflmao>. While I have a lot of philosophical issues with RasPi, I had a quick look and you are right it does have stereo Audio output. However, while not having lunch, a few minutes later I found quite a few other products that while not being given the lime-light as RasPi is, look a lot better for not much more. I think when I'm ready, I will have another look in this space as there will no doubt be quite a bit of activity in this area over the next 6-12 months.

Take care and I hope all bodes well for you over the next few weeks.
I look forward to hearing more from you when you have a little more time.

Cheers, Brenton
jbv

Postby SBP » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:06 am

Hi Brenton

For you; http://www.pza.net.au/opml/ As I understand free for Internode customers
I haven't checked, but there seem to be a lot of radio stations for Australians

EDIT: And here is a HOW-TO and a direct link as well: http://users.on.net/~bigkahuna/

Steen
Last edited by SBP on Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SBP

Postby KazzaMozz » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:28 pm

Hi Steen
thanks for that,
I'm an internode customer. They do have a lot of freebies
Cheers
Kazza
KazzaMozz

Previous

Return to Other Stuff