Include Unetbootin into the basic FoxyRoxy ISO? (done)

Hey, I've got a great idea. If we just ....

Include Unetbootin into the basic FoxyRoxy ISO? (done)

Postby saintless » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:06 pm

I suggest to apt-get and add Unetbootin.
It takes less than 5 Mb HDD space and we can make bootable USB stick in linux from FoxyRoxy_DevRel_02.iso with this program. This way we can make bootable USB stick while running FoxyRoxy Live CD without need to install any other program on the host OS.
saintless

Postby jbv » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:16 pm

I am not convinced of the functionality of adding Unetbootin to the ISO. I need to think through the logic a little.

My current thinking is that you would need a bootable CD made from the ISO of FoxyRoxy - no problem
Then you start FoxyRoxy and you have Unetboot in FoxyRoxy - cool, so far
But then you've got to get the ISO somewhere so that FoxyRoxy can read it to make the bootable USB stick!

So, where do you drop the ISO image?
It won't fit on the bootable CD ?
Do you drop it on another USB stick?
I just think the whole thing becomes very messy, very quickly.
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on this one.

None the less, I have created an injection file for Unetbootin <link to the injection>
I might point out that it only adds 1.5Mb to the FoxyDesktop sqf, so people can play with it and test it.
When we work out if it really serves a functional purpose, we can decide if it really should be added to the next ISO release.

Cheers

Note to saintless: I have also allowed .sh and .inject files to be uploaded/downloaded
jbv

Postby saintless » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:26 pm

jbv wrote:My current thinking is that you would need a bootable CD made from the ISO of FoxyRoxy - no problem
Then you start FoxyRoxy and you have Unetboot in FoxyRoxy - cool, so far
But then you've got to get the ISO somewhere so that FoxyRoxy can read it to make the bootable USB stick!...

Then the question is how do you have working FoxyRoxy Live CD?

The regular user will download the ISO on his hard drive from windows or some linux version. Then he will burn the ISO to CD and he will still have the downloaded ISO on his HDD. Then he will reboot to test the Live CD and if he likes it he will make a bootable flash drive with Unetbootin right away.

Or without burning a CD the user will extract the ISO on his hard drive and will add menu entry for grub. After reboot he can make bootable flash drive.

Someone might ask "Why then you don't make only USB image version?"
For me ISO version is more convenient for people who like to try FoxyRoxy on old computer without boot from USB option in BIOS.

Cheers
saintless

Postby jbv » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:17 pm

okay, I think I can sort of follow that :)

BTW, I have tested it and made a bootable USB stick from a FoxyRoxy that was booted from a USB stick.
I copied the ISO onto the bootable USB stick.

It works ... sort of.
The stick it made, boots all of my machines, except my primary desktop which is a 3 year old Dell Vostro 410
It looks as though it has the same issue as the other versions of UUI, which Lance fixed for us in the latest release that we are now hosting.

Now, while this is now starting to point to a BIOS issue with my machine, my machine does have the latest and only BIOS that Dell have ever released for it. This also indicates that it may not work for every machine. I guess we can't guarantee that everything will always work on every machine, but it is something to keep in mind when people say, "it doesn't work".
jbv

Re: Include Unetbootin into the basic FoxyRoxy ISO?

Postby saintless » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:22 pm

After some testing I think we don't need to include Unetbootin in the base iso.
Just boot FoxyRoxy Live CD. You don't even need to use save file. The package is very small and it can be installed on the fly when you boot the live CD.
Just type:
Code: Select all
apt-get update
apt-get install unetbootin

After the installation don't reboot the computer. Start the program from System tools menu and make your FoxyRoxy USB stick.
That's it.
saintless

Postby jbv » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:41 am

Sneaky ... I like it :)
jbv

Postby KazzaMozz » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:23 pm

Hi Saintless
this is a clever trick to just do it on the fly so to speak, keeps everything still nice and clean. I agree even though it's a great program it takes no time to to do this.
Cheers
Kazzamozz
KazzaMozz

Postby jbv » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:11 pm

It didn't really take any space, so it is in DevRel_03 - Another one completed.
Let's see if the original poster updates the thread :lol:
jbv

Re: Include Unetbootin into the basic FoxyRoxy ISO? - (SOLVE

Postby jbv » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:30 pm

<fx:ROFLMAO>
jbv

Return to Could we, Should we ?