Slimming the ISO and autorun (done)

Hey, I've got a great idea. If we just ....

Slimming the ISO and autorun (done)

Postby sickgut » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:31 am

Hi people

ISO slimming:
after mounting the ISO and then unsquashfs-ing everything i set about removing as much non needed files that where just taking up space. i thought i could shave off 200mb atleast from the FoxyRoxy2 ISO but i was a little disappointed because after 15 mins of hard slavery, i only managed to reduce the ISO by 100MB.

Slimming in this fashion isnt always 100% reliable but i erred on the side of caution. Another 20 - 30mb could be shaved but that would carry some risk as i am not completely familiar with the applications in Foxy.

In my opinion as long as the OS fits on the media you want it to run from then size isnt an issue, so unless we start pushing the 700mb cdrom size limit, there is no real gain.

Autorun:
Would it be cool to add an autorun icon to the ISO, so when its burned to a CD and inserted into a Windows computer, a snazzy FoxyRoxy icon appears? The same thing happens with USB sticks as well once this is setup. The Debian-Live ISOs have this all layed out fairly clearly, its easy to chop and change that to work with Foxy. Also autorun could be set to start one of the ISO to USB applications, so the user just inserts the CD, then they are guided though the install to USB process.
sickgut

Re: Slimming the ISO and autorun

Postby jbv » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:14 am

Hi sickgut,

sickgut wrote:i was a little disappointed because after 15 mins of hard slavery, i only managed to reduce the ISO by 100MB.

:lol: Sorry. That is probably due to the 9 months of really hard slavery that had been done previously :lol:
Seriously appreciate the time and effort though.

You didn't say where you found the 100Mb to carve out, but if it was in the locale stuff, then I wouldn't like to see that removed or faked out. There are a few reasons for this, with only one of them being that it would only make it harder for someone who needs it to put it back. I really don't understand the interaction with the locale stuff and foreign languages. I couldn't imagine anything worse than some poor bugger in outerouter-kurzekistanstanstanstan that needs his locale stuff coming along and asking for help in putting it back in when he's also needing to use Google-Translate to communicate with us. To me, the mere thought that there might be even the remotest possibility of this occurring while I'm still breathing, is well worth the 100Mb in the ISO :)

sickgut wrote:Would it be cool to add an autorun icon to the ISO, so when its burned to a CD and inserted into a Windows computer, a snazzy FoxyRoxy icon appears?

I really hate auto-run and disable it on all of my machines. I expect others to do the same.
One day, I might grab the source to UUI - remove all of the other Linux distros and hard code it for FoxyRoxy and perhaps include it in the ISO.

Even then, I can't see why to auto-run it. I really can't imagine many people would download it, make a CD. Restart to boot the CD, play with it, then restart windows again and put the CD back in to make a bootable USB stick. It just seems so much easier to download the ISO and UUI, then make the stick directly from the ISO, leave the stick in - restart and your done.

If anything, I probably should have a look at the source for UUI sooner rather than later and put the download file for the Custom FoxyRoxy version alongside the ISO. That might be something for consideration as we prepare to move out of the DevRel stage, although that is a way off yet.

Cheers
jbv

Return to Could we, Should we ?