Installing packages: Load Sequence and Configuration files

Here's a radical concept. Let's leave notes and mini-how-to's for each other

Installing packages: Load Sequence and Configuration files

Postby jbv » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:54 pm

Now might be a good time to point out that FoxyRoxy is not necessarily a load something once and forget it type of OS. While you can do this with a large number of packages, to attain the goals that I am aiming for, can often mean that you may be doing a lot of tweaking and reloading of stuff to get it properly installed.

I have found that "application" wise, pretty much everything works out of the box, however there are also a few packages that require a bit of poking and prodding to get "just right". These are usually what I would describe as system level applications or things that play with services. This is the nature of the overlaid .sqf filesystem, and the fact that we don't want things to always be writing to the USB/Flash. So a few saves of the 9x-snap file and restarts is often required.

I ask that you keep in mind that we are at a First Developers Release of FoxyRoxy and as such some things will change. Some architectural things may also change. The whole intent behind the First Developers Release was to get your attention and assistance. As I compose this message, I am having some re-thoughts on 99-snap and how this may affect things. By having our desktop config load as the last .sqf, this may be causing issues with stuff that was installed and loaded by 95-snap. Therefore we may need to push our 99-snap desktop/config stuff further down the startup sequence so that it is loaded before 95-snap and a filename change to xx-FoxyConfig wouldn't hurt either :)

Both LMS and XMBC are interesting. They both have some strange quirks and as they are both very much related to what I want to build, they have my interest. My current thought is that if I can get my system-services configuration and desktop changes configuration stuff working with them, then that stuff should work with anything.

Both LMS and XMBC are interesting. They both have some strange quirks and as they are both very much related to what I want to build, they have my interest. My current thought is that if I can get my system-services configuration and desktop changes configuration stuff working with them, then that stuff should work with anything.

Being able to easily configure the services start-up, or turning services on and off is a pretty important thing to me. While my initial thought was to have this in a separate .sqf, I am now thinking that it might be best to incorporate this into our xx-FoxyConfig which is currently 99-snap.squashfs . Regardless as to what we call it, the final file shouldn't be to large so it will load and save quickly, unless you put a heap of stuff into the Firefox directory.

To give you an idea: At the moment, I am looking at the following:

03-FoxyServices.squashfs = 76kb
99-snap.squashfs = 644kb

We also need to remember that we only have 8 .squashfs files to play with.

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions?
jbv

Re: Installing packages: Load Sequence and Configuration fil

Postby saintless » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:59 am

95-create should save all the changes for new installed programs + desktop changes and any other changes after the last system boot. Keeping this squash file as last one is the best choice.
saintless

Postby jbv » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:22 am

I tend to agree with you on this one.

Now, I know that what I have working in so far as having configurable system-services has not been sent to anyone, and no-one else has the NVIDIA driver yet ... but ... this does have the potential to break some stuff for those of us who "jumped in early" and applied all patches/injections. Needless to say, I would try to make the "fixup" as clean as possible, but it may require a "start from scratch" for some - and a new ISO. Which effectively means a new ISO for everyone as I would delete the old one and ask everyone to start again ...

Would now be a good time to remind everyone that this was a "Developers Release" :lol:

So, it would be nice to hear from others.
jbv

Postby SBP » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:06 pm

Hi, I think you should make all the changes you need. We all know that this is work in progress, and furthermore, at a very early state, so now is a good time to make the changes.
We an looking forward to try your new ideas.
Steen
SBP

Postby jbv » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:31 pm

Learned quite a lot while sorting out the NVIDIA driver stuff.

No doubt I will learn a lot more tomorrow while looking at LMS.

I think the proper long-term fix is to move this into 04-FoxyConfig
I also think I can do this in a way that won't break anything, just yet.

If I can do this, it will let us all test is properly before we go to DevRel_03 and if I can get it right, we should all be able to bring our individual changes and "settings" with us. There may be a bit of slicing and dicing to get all config/tweak stuff into DevRel_03, although I will do my best to document it so that no-one looses anything of any real consequence .... No promises though.

Cheers
jbv

Return to Dev Notes