DevRel_o1.iso

We need to look at this one

DevRel_o1.iso

Postby jbv » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:41 am

Hi guys,

Okay, I've burnt a CD from the ISO using Imgburn, and tested it. It works fine.

The strange thing is that my main machine ( a Windoze Dell ) plays sound when booted from the CD I made, yet I could swear that before it only played audio when I had the Realtek drivers loaded ..... This is one for the next day or two. Right now, I want to work out how to make a bootable USB from Linux (which in my case will be a USB version of FoxyRoxy).

While I was messing with my main machine (which I don't do all that often) I thought I'd try to boot it with te USB I created and used for testing the whole make a bootable USB under Windoze thing ... AAArrrggghhh it wouldn't boot. Bizzare. I tested the same USB stick in two other machines and they booted. Then I put another USB (same brand - different model stick) into the Dell and it booted. Once again, I will need to investigate this a little further, but it looks like the actual USB stick may play a part of the boot or no-boot thing. FYI ... The sticks I'm playing with at the moment are Sandisk "Cruzers". The one that seems to work in all machines is the 8Gb version, whereas the one that wont boot in the Dell is a 4Gb version.

These are really just some cheap sticks I bought coz they were cheap ($5- for the 4Gb and $10 for the 8Gb). Although it is something to try to sort out and keep in mind and possibly leave notes for others later.

Oh, I've worked out how to include the DLNA server ... The only reason I left it out was because I was a little worried about putting a mpg file into the ISO, and configuring it so that it would "just work". I've got a solution that won't really take much space so once I've got the making a bootable USB from Linux sorted, I will make a "patch" for you guys and a new ISO before going live. I will also put xpdf and possibly a few other outstanding things into the patch and ISO before the announcement.

Cheers
jbv

Re: DevRel_o1.iso

Postby jbv » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:52 am

I think I've worked out what is happening.
I don't think it is the USB stick.
I think the real problem is much stupider than that, and somewhat unbelievable.

If what I think is happening, is happening, it will blow your mind.
The fix might be quite simple, but the testing will take a lot of messing around.
I probably won't get to do it tonight, but I will get as far as I can.

Don't get hung-up on making a bootable USB from *nix until I confirm what I am seeing first.
I will try to have this sorted and tested within 24-26 hours, and will add to this thread with my findings.

Right now, I'm beat and need some r-n-r and a good nights sleep.

Cheers
jbv

Postby jbv » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:50 pm

Nope. That wasn't it

... Bummer, that would have been an easy one to fix too.

Don't give up on me yet though.
I've had another thought and I will play with that one tonight.

Notes to self:
... Check the version of UUSBI and try ...
1) The first version of UUSBI that supported Debian-Standard
2) oldsyslinux
3) make a fresh "clean" Debian stick
jbv

Postby jbv » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:29 am

Okay, its getting screwier now....

Took 3 sticks into the office today.

All 3 sticks booted on my FoxyRoxy machine, yet would not boot on my main Windoze Dell machine at home. All 3 sticks booted on my office Dell.

They also booted on my Acer netbook which I will take home tonight to continue testing.

This is getting weird, it looks like the only stick which will boot my main Dell machine at home is my initial FoxyRoxy master that FoxyRoxy was built on. Why, I haven't got the faintest idea just yet. The only thing that pops to mind is that it was created with a much earlier version of Universal-USB-Installer. Hopefully, it will start to make sense later tonight. Either that, or there is something screwy with the ISO and the fact that it was made with UltraISO, which may also explain why the "dd" from Linux didn't work and also why saintless could not see the files when opened in Linux, yet the CD booted okay and has has been able to extract the files.

Hmmmm.... Now that I think about it, there is a good chance that all of this is related. It is about hte only thing that makes sense.It might be time to find another ISO manipulation package.....
jbv

Postby jbv » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:42 am

'hokay, now it is screwier than screwy ... I may just leave this note thread here after we "go live" if not as a reminder more than anything else.

To bring you up to date. Everything was going fine. The ISO was created to upload to this site. This was also the first ISO created. Until this point, everything was done with a single USB stick and sending of .sqf files to saintless. As we now needed to confirm that the ISO was good and work out how to create a bootable USB from Linux, we did more research and testing. .... There is where things started to go screwy. The first bootable USB I made was on my main Windows machine (a somewhat older Dell Quad-Core Intel Q9550 processor machine with 4Gb of RAM). I used the latest version of the Universal-USB-Installer as this would be the version that people would download from the link I provided. The stick I made booted in the main FoxyRoxy development machine (an Intel Atom D525 based mini-ITX board). Sweet, this is looking promising. Next step, copy the ISO to the main FoxyROxy development USB and boot from it. Then reformat the USB stick (in windows) and try to use the "dd" command to dump the ISO onto the USB I had just made and booted from. After the "dd" it did not boot on the Dev machine. Darn ... Put the USB back into the Windows machine and remake a bootable USB from windows using the same program, ISO and steps. To confirm that it worked, I just restarted my Windows machine. It didn't boot. Crap .... Put the USB into the FoxyRoxy machine and it booted.... From here things got real ugly real quick. It got to the point where no matter what I tried, the new USB stick would not boot on my main Windows machine. It would boot from every other machine I tried it on, but not my main windows machine. If nothing else, this indicated a potential problem, but where..... I tried the stick on other machines and it worked, and it even worked on machines outside my normal environment, but it would not work on my main Windows machine.... AAarrrggghhh.... Tried a few things to no avail. Tried a few other USB sticks and got similar results - now it's really getting weird. I also tried making bootable USBs of the original Debian ISO ... Same result

About now, I'm trying to work out exactly which version of U-USB-I I used to create the Master USb stick that FoxyRoxy was created on. Background ... U-USB-I has supported a few variations of Debian-Live for a while, but it did not support Debian-Live "standard". Therefore I had been using the "unlisted option" when making my USB sticks. I contacted the author and asked him to add support for the "standard" ISO. He did so within 8 hours and I tested it and it worked. This was U-USB-I version 1.9.0.0 I think this ended up being the latest version I had used. Anyway, there was s slight glitch in his "first cut" in that it didn't rebuild the syslinux.cfg file correctly and would not display the proper logo. I told him about this and he said he would fix it in the next release. Knowing that this "spash-screen" glitch was there, I did not go back to that version when doing my latest testing. I tried a few other USB installers and they all did the exact same thing as the later versions of U-USB-I

There is a little more here in so far as the way that U-USB-I parses the isolinux.cfg files to create syslinux.cfg files, although I saw this as a potential problem earlier in the process and found a way to "fake out" both U-USB-I and isolinux so that I could control what each did. This worked....

Then I thought it might be worth testing 1.9.0.0 of U-USB-I with FoxyRoxy. Lo and behold, the first thing I noticed was that 1.9.0.0 gave me the option to format the USB stick, which is something that was dropped in a later version and I had not noticed because it had been so long since I used it. To cut a short story medium, if I told v1.9.0.0 of U-USB-I to format the stick, it worked in all machines including my main Windows machine, which it hadn't worked in with 1.9.0.6 ... So, now we are on to something.... The only problem I had now was re-creating the problem so that I could report it to the author of U-USB-I Do you think I could recreate it ? You're right, it wouldn't mess up now... AAAArrrggghhh !!!!!

Okay, so now lets try to create a bootable USB stick from Linux again using "dd" ... Using the same "test stick" as the target I try the "dd" again and it does not work. darn. Take the stick out and pop it into my Windows machine and Windows tells me that it is un-formatted and prompts me to reformat the stick. I don't let Windows format the stick and try re-running U-USB-I, still not format option in 1.9.0.6 and it bombs. Then try to format the stick from Windows, re-run 1.9.0.6 and the stick boots in the FoxyRoxy machine, but not in my main Windows machine.... HHHmmmm... Repeat the process with U-USB-I v 1.9.0.0 and tell it to format the stick and it works everywhere.

It is quite a strange issue too. While my main Windows machine is a little older now, it has the latest and last version BIOS issued by Dell. This is version 1.0.3 with ACHI BIOS v1.3.50 dated 4-26-2007 The machine is a Vostro 410 When it is going to work, it shows the USB stick as a USB-HDD:Sandisk Cruzer, when it is going to crash, it shows the USB stick as a USB-ZIP:Sandisk Cruzer Which indicates something in the USB signature is getting screwed up. I also tried using other U-USB-I type programs when the stick was in a "good" mode and they also crashed the USB stick on a reboot, so I don't know what the author of U-USB-I was doing in v1.9.0.0 when he as doing a format of the USB stick .... but whatever it was - it was right.

So ... what is happening is that the dd command is trashing something in the USB ID block or something similar. Doing a reformat in Windows does not fix this, yet an older version of U-USB-I does.... really don't want to start debugging USB sticks or various formatting programs, so my short-term fix is the host the older version of U-USB-I and see if the Author is prepared to put the Format option back in and possibly provide native support for FoxyRoxy.

No doubt this will take a few days, and it will take me some time to test all incarnations of it also. I am pretty beat now, so I won't get to send him an Email for about 18-24 hours I will also ask permission to host a "known good version of U-USB-I" with appropriate attribution and a link back to his site.

While this gets sorted, I will put the DLNA server into FoxyRoxy and also drop Xpdf into the package. I hope that while we are doing this that saintless will get back to me and tell me that the sound problem was something in his machine and that all is well. When we get these things sorted, I think we will be ready to announce the Developers Release....

Cheers
jbv

Postby jbv » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:39 pm

The Author of UUI has given me permission to host UUI on this site, so I will host the version I know works.

About 18 hours after I thanked him, he advised me that he had made a new build and put the FAT32 format back into UUI. So as to not delay things, right now, I will host UUI v1.9.0.0 which I know works. This is what I will use for the final testing of our DevRel_02.ISO I will test the newer version of UUI as soon as possible to let him know if this works properly and if it does I will update our hosted version.

Unless anyone has anything to add to this thread regarding what might have messed up with the stick such that it wouldn't boot from 1 of 8 different machines, this thread has served its purpose and should be considered as closed.

Cheers
jbv

Return to Whoops - This needs fixing