From saintless (solved)

We need to look at this one

From saintless (solved)

Postby jbv » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:21 pm

The CD doesn't play sound when boots on my two computers.

We have to mention that the shutdown button is not working at the moment.
Maybe this information is already in the forum but I missed it.

The strange thing with the CD is I can't see any files in the live folder when I open it with Iso Master (linux iso editor).
I can see only the memtest file. I can't extract the squash files, initrd and vmlinuz. Anyway it burns OK and the CD is bootable and working.
jbv

Re: From saintless

Postby jbv » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:29 pm

saintless wrote:The CD doesn't play sound when boots on my two computers.

I'm starting to hate Linux already.

Can you tell me if this is with all Kernels? 486/686/Bigmem ?
Do you still have the "patch" I sent you a few weeks ago?
If so, could you try that and let me know if that fixes it for Bigmem...

saintless wrote:We have to mention that the shutdown button is not working at the moment.
Maybe this information is already in the forum but I missed it.

I have made a note of this in the Outstanding section - ConsoleKit
Although I agree it needs to be more visible.

saintless wrote:The strange thing with the CD is I can't see any files in the live folder when I open it with Iso Master (linux iso editor).
I can see only the memtest file. I can't extract the squash files, initrd and vmlinuz. Anyway it burns OK and the CD is bootable and working.

Very strange. I will use some other Windows programs and see if they show me anything...

--[edit - later]--
I am starting to think this might be related to the issue I am seeing where my sticks won't boot on my main home machine.
saintless reports that sound is not working in any kernel. He is starting to think it might not be FoxyRoxy related and will report back soon.

Cheers
jbv

Postby saintless » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:41 pm

Hi, JBV,

I can confirm I don't get any sound when the CD boots. Tested from the live CD and from HDD install without live-rw save file. I don't get any sound on boot with all three kernels.

I have sound with all kernels when I play media files. The problem was in my PC configuration. I don't even have to run alsactl init command to get sound on both computers.

I still have the sound patch and I can test it if you think I should, but it is only for the bigmem kernel.

When do I have to hear this sound on boot? When the desktop appears or later when adeskbar is visible? Is it possible not to hear it because the sound is very low?

On live cd boot I get a message: probing EDD (edd=off to disable) just after initrd is loaded. I don't get this message when I boot from HDD install or maybe it appears quickly and I can't see it.
saintless

Postby saintless » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:17 pm

I also confirm the files from live folder from the testing iso are not visible when I open it with IsoMaster (iso editor for linux). I can't see FoxyRoxyLinux text file outside live folder also. I see all files when I mount the CD and I can copy them. Tested from puppy linux and debian live with IsoMaster.
By the way FoxyRoxyLinux text file is empty. There is nothing written inside. Should it be empty?
saintless

Postby jbv » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:45 pm

Hi saintless,

---[ sound ]---
As you are getting sound sometimes, do not do anything with the old sound patch I sent you earlier.
Lets work to confirm that the FoxyRoxy ISO master is okay.
The EDD message means nothing to me. Sorry. Let's just ignore it for now.

Sound should be working before X11 starts.
The default mixer volume on your machine may be very low, or it may be muted on your machine.
Can you please try to following for me.

0) We want to start a perfectly clean system
1) Remove any live-rw file you may have
2) Turn off your grub auto-login stuff
3) Restart the system
4) Do not login at the prompt
5) Press Alt-2 to switch to tty2
6) Login on tty2 (this will leave you in the ~ directory (/root - the root home directory)
7) type "aplay test.wav" (you should hear the file play)
8) type "alsamixer" (will run the console version of ALSA mixer)
left/right arrows will move active channel, up/down arrows will change level
"m" will mute/unmute - current status is shown in the box at the bottom of the output level. If the box shows MM with black background, it is muted.
9) "esc" will exit alsamixer

If you can hear the sound output here, then the sound is working, even if you needed to adjust levels/muting in alsamixer.

While creating this message, I was confirming everything on my FoxyMachine. I signed out of tty2, switched to tty1, logged in and the desktop started. I opened a console (using the inbuilt quick console in the lower right of the task bar, next to the volume control). I typed "aplay test.wav" and the file played, but I could not hear it. I adjusted volume, opened mixer, changed mute/unmute and could still not hear sound. This must be an ALSA glitch.

I shutdown the machine, restarted. Logged in on tty1, the FoxyRoxy desktop auto-started. Opened quick-console again, typed "aplay test.wav", it played perfectly and I could hear it..

--[ the ISO CD image ]--

The FoxyRoxyLinux file in the root directory of the ISO/CD is 0 bytes in length, so it is empty. It is just a place-marker or label.

I'm a little confused now.
If you mount the CD, you can see and copy the contents of /live ?
If you open the ISO using IsoMaster, you can't see or copy the contents of /live ?

Strange ... I can not explain it. I may install IsoMaster tonight

Cheers
jbv

Postby saintless » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:25 am

jbv wrote:If you mount the CD, you can see and copy the contents of /live ?
If you open the ISO using IsoMaster, you can't see or copy the contents of /live ?

Hi, JBV, this is correct. IsoMaster doesn't show the files inside live folder. Only memtest file is visible. Pmount mounts all the files on the CD and I can copy them.

Sound -> tested from tty2 and I can hear test.wav sound. It is not muted but it is very hard to hear it if I don't increase the level in alsamixer. I guess this glitch is solved. Thanks.

Cheers
saintless

Postby jbv » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:56 am

Sweet... Unless I hear otherwise in the next day or two, I will consider sound to be 100% okay.

ISOmaster issue will be sorted before we "go live" ... read thread Dev_Rel_02.ISO
jbv

Postby saintless » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:30 am

Sound is OK. Tested four times today without problems before starting X and after starting X.
Good idea to add isomaster and flash player in the next iso.

Cheers
saintless

Postby saintless » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:48 am

DevRel_02.ISO --> IsoMaster opens all files and extracts them correctly.
I see new file autorun.inf which was not there in the first iso.
DevRel_02.ISO boots and runs on two computers without problems. The sound is working inside and outside X.
saintless

Postby jbv » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:03 am

Thanks saintless.

Yeah, I should have pulled the autorun.inf file out of the ISO, but I prepped everything last-night, and did a quick build instead of having lunch, while I had a 8Mbps up-link to the hosting site. I hope you guys will forgive me, and ignore one little file that we don't need, but 8Mbps up is just something you can't ignore when uploading 540Mb :)

Oh, the ISO is now made from within FoxyRoxy, so we are really leaps and bounds of where we were not so long ago. I've been totally hammering all of the multi-media stuff over the last few weeks and also the networking and streaming stuff. I think we're looking pretty darn solid.

Since getting home, I've created numerous bootable USB's, a bootable CD, and trashed a heap of USB's trying to work out how to create a bootable USB stick from Linux. Along the way, I've worked out that the UUI Lance made for us last night is solid, so we are now hosting it, and I've created a how to recover thread. I think we are ready to rock, so if no-one finds any show-stoppers in the next 12 hours, I'll make the announcement tomorrow morning (my time).

Over the weekend, I'll try to clean-up what we need to clean-up in the forum as I know we've still got a few messages here that need fixing, clean-up etc, but I think we're ready to go ...... The rest we can sort out in time.... Give me a day or two and I'll do those scripts we've discussed about the Office Application package we have in mind. When I get to them will really depend upon what sort of people this attracts, and how helpful they are, or if they beat-up on me to fix stuff (which won't happen, unless I see it as a show-stopper).

Cheers
jbv

Return to Whoops - This needs fixing