A couple of problems (solved)

We need to look at this one

A couple of problems (solved)

Postby SBP » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:11 pm

Hi

Still very impressed, however, I have also spotted a few problems. However, it could be me not still a linux NOOB.

1. I can boot foxyroxy fine from my USB stick, but only if this is the only USB device. If I have two USB devices a Seagate 1 TB HDD with my media files, and also the stick containing Foxyroxy, it will not boot.

2. The powerbutton on the lower right corner of the screen is not working. Nothing happens. Also the powerbutton on the computer is not working.

When I used Voyage linux I had to do>
apt-get install ACPID
And then in /etc/acpi/event I had to make a file called powerbtn containing two lines>
event=button/power (PWR. | | PBTN)
action=/sbin/poweroff
I dont know if something similar needs to be done

STeen
SBP

Re: A couple of problems

Postby jbv » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:39 pm

Hi STeen,

The first issue is actually a "booting from USB" glitch. I will document it in the next day or two. After an awful lot of playing, I have come to believe that when you boot from a USB device and there is more than 1 USB device inserted, if your machine does not let you choose which one to boot from, it will boot from any one of them at random. In reality this will come down to which one enumerates first, but as we are probably talking milli-seconds it may as well be random. Therefore if booting from a USB stick, you really need to make sure that it is the only USB device inserted at power-up.

The second issue is know. It is documented, in "outstanding issues" and in the "download" thread just below where you downloaded the file from.
In fairness to you though, I think you grabbed the download before I got the message posted :)

Item 2 we can and will fix with a little help. There is a dirty hack I could use, which involves installing the Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL), but as this is being obsoleted, I'd prefer to get the shutdown working with dBus messages and I need a little help getting "console kit" working properly. ... Hence the "developers release" :)

Cheers
jbv

Re: A couple of problems

Postby SBP » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:09 pm

jbv wrote:The first issue is actually a "booting from USB" glitch. I will document it in the next day or two. After an awful lot of playing, I have come to believe that when you boot from a USB device and there is more than 1 USB device inserted, if your machine does not let you choose which one to boot from, it will boot from any one of them at random. In reality this will come down to which one enumerates first, but as we are probably talking milli-seconds it may as well be random. Therefore if booting from a USB stick, you really need to make sure that it is the only USB device inserted at power-up.

Thanks for you explanation. It turns out that my system boots fine if the USB stick is put into a specific USB slot - then it doesn't matter if more USB HDD's are attached. So now this problem is solved at least for now. But it took some reboots to determine which USB slot to use for the Foxyroxy USB pendrive.
SBP

Return to Whoops - This needs fixing