[ETHERNET] ASPIRE 3830TG - no auto connection

We need to look at this one

[ETHERNET] ASPIRE 3830TG - no auto connection

Postby KazzaMozz » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:23 am

Hello everyone
okay so I have been testing this on a few of the machines I have.
So far:
Dell Inspiron 6000 automatic ethernet = yes
Toshiba Satellite Pro ethernet = yes
HP Prolint-Microserver ethernet = yes
Others which I will add.

However the one I really want which has Nvidia drivers so I can test XBMC coz it's a laptop.
Aspire 3830TG Laptop Ethernet automatic = NO :( So far out of all the machines I have tried this is the first. I have another 5 or so to test it on and will report back.

Buggar.
Now the funny thing here is even if you boot from USB the Windows 7 desktop signon pops up for a second and then it flashes into Roxy
weird............
Any answers ?
I hate Windblows!!!!
Cheers
KazzaMozz

Re: [ETHERNET] ASPIRE 3830TG - no auto connection

Postby saintless » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:45 pm

Hi, KazzaMozz,

Just like to share some information about the tests from my experience. Always do the tests with fresh FoxyRoxy without any changes from you. Don't use the same USB stick on another computer if you use 95-create or 99-Snap or other save configurations and files script or command.
If you do so you will have your network model card for example stored as eth0 in FoxyRoxy and the network card from the other computer will become second in the list as eth1. But FoxyRoxy will try to make connection to eth0 which is not there anymore.
I add this just for information for everyone who likes to test FoxyRoxy.

Your Window7 pop up problem is very strange. I wonder if FoxyRoxy gets hungry sometimes end starts to eat Windows for breakfast... :mrgreen:
saintless

Postby KazzaMozz » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:49 pm

Hi Saintless
thanks for that. I will retest with a fresh USB.
Yeah I'm sure it gobbled up the Windblows.
About to post in the XBMC OMG you will love it. No injection of drivers on this laptop required for this to work!!
Cheers
KazzaMozz
KazzaMozz

Postby jbv » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:59 pm

Hi KazzaMozz,

If you have taken a USB stick that you have used/configure on another machine, there is something you need to be careful of.

The 95-series scripts will save everything. While all of the load/save scripts are intended for developers or people looking to customise their system, the 95-series are somewhat special in that they are intended to be true developer scripts, so by design they do not touch or remove the files.

This is also why there are different 95-xxx scripts to create/delete/load/save/etc

So, by default 95-create will save everything that has been added to or written since power-up.
This includes things like the power-up start-up logs, dmesg and everything
At power-up Linux itself will always create or overwrite some configuration stuff based on what is found, and Udev does the same.
While most of these end up in /var, some are in /etc

The ones that are probably "stepping" on your ASPIRE 3080 network are in /etc - Specifically:
Code: Select all
/etc/network/interfaces
/etc/samba/dhcp.conf
/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
/etc/mtab
/etc/resolv.conf

If you remove these files from the 95-snap.squashfs on the stick, then I think you will have networking on the Aspire

Therefore, I suggest you do a 95-load ( perform your manual cleanup - then ) 95-save

You need to be careful when cleaning the 95-snap as you can really trash stuff (delete the wrong thing).
Have a look at the 95-clean script. It is a start towards a general purpose "cleaner", but you really do need to know what it will remove and consider how that might affect your current 95-save file.

One thing that 95-clean will do that it shouldn't, is...
It will remove the entire contents of /var including /var/lib/dpkg which is the directory that dpkg uses to keep track of what packages have been installed and how to remove them. For this reason you do not want to remove /var/lib/dpgk from the "snap" file. At the moment, I manually move /tmp/sqf-snap/var/lib/dpgk while always looking at /tmp/sqf-snap before running 95-clean. I probably should have added this tot he script, but it is a developer thing :) and I would never suggest that anyone blindly run 95-clean

Anyway, clean /tmp/sqf-snap/etc and I'm sure your ASPIRE will join your network :)

Cheers
jbv

Postby KazzaMozz » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:05 pm

Hi Jbv
Thanks for the heads up re the cleaning.
Thought I had actually deleted the save :roll: it was getting pretty late.
I've steered away from cleaning so far. I have been using the 95-delete to get a fresh start.
Nothing too much worth saving as yet.
I have another stick with all the NVidia drivers etc and the Firefox XBMC stuff that works great so leaving that alone.
So far I haven't really looked at what 95-cleans now I know to be careful.
I sound a bit like you too many sticks I need to use coloured dots or something so as not to get :?
Will try the Aspire again later.

Hope you have a great Fathers Day

Cheers
KazzaMozz

Postby jbv » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:40 pm

KazzaMozz wrote:I sound a bit like you too many sticks I need to use coloured dots or something so as not to get :?

Yeah, it gets messy. :lol: I have and will continue to resist the temptation of installing a hard-disk, and will continue to do everything on FoxyRoxy from a USB only install. This way, I know what everyone (including me) will get. It was a little easier when it was just saintless and myself, but it can and is almost rapidly getting out of control - except that I won't let it :)

The one danger I suffer is that it is very easy for me to accidentally loose something while I'm testing something else. I've done that so many times it isn't funny. Where I often get caught is in thinking I've saved something to a stick or network resource or been working on a file in one place and only when I restart the machine do I discover that the real file was working on was in RAM, and is now just a faint twinkle of alpha-radiation particles rapidly dissipating into the cosmos. Some of my best work has had this happen to it on more than one occasion. Oh well, such is life sometimes :lol:

To tell you the truth, building a serious application program with literally 100's of .c .h and .inc files is easier to manage and maintain, but I'm still having fun, so it's all good :)

Cheers
jbv

Postby KazzaMozz » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:23 am

Hi Jbv
you make me laugh.
I have to say ditto below yep have done exactly this. Remembering the fantastic awesome thing you just created and tweaked is then a challenge :cry:

I often get caught is in thinking I've saved something to a stick or network resource or been working on a file in one place and only when I restart the machine do I discover that the real file was working on was in RAM, and is now just a faint twinkle of alpha-radiation particles rapidly dissipating into the cosmos.

Cheers
KazzaMozz

Postby jbv » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:12 am

Hi KazzaMozz,

Have you got Ethernet working on the ASPIRE yet?
jbv

Postby KazzaMozz » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:51 am

He there
flippin kids pinched it but it's mine on Wednesday and so is the sound check

Cheers
Kazza
KazzaMozz

Postby jbv » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:27 pm

Sounds good.
Whoops did I let sumfin slip ? ;)