Wrong Disk names (solved)

We need to look at this one

Re: Wrong Disk names

Postby SBP » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:09 am

Hi Brenton

I hope you enjoy you vacation.
Thank you for your help.
As you suggested I had both a MTAB file and the Media directory with three disks FOXYROXY, LMSDAta and Seagate_FReeAgent in the squashfs file.
see here>
95-snap.png
95-snap.png (70.81 KiB) Viewed 6530 times

I have only used 95-create, so this script must have saved these items in the squashfs, I havent asked for it to save any information about the attached devices.
Is this the right behavior ?
I ask because I think that FoxyRoxy should be able to deal with the unplugging and plugging of different USB devices. Maybe the script should not save the media directory? or would this lead to unwanted consequenses?

After removing the MTAB and the media directory from the 95-squashfs and then 95-save, I have got a new problem. Added after a edit

After a reboot, FoxyRoxy does not discover my attached USB devices and the etc/mtab file contains this>
aufs / aufs rw 0 0
tmpfs /lib/init/rw tmpfs rw,nosuid,mode=0755 0 0
proc /proc proc rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 0
udev /dev tmpfs rw,mode=0755 0 0
tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=620 0 0
/dev/sdb1 /live/image vfat rw,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=cp437,iocharset=utf8,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro 0 0
tmpfs /live/cow tmpfs rw,noatime,mode=755 0 0
tmpfs /live tmpfs rw,relatime 0 0
tmpfs /tmp tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev 0 0
rpc_pipefs /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs rpc_pipefs rw 0 0
fusectl /sys/fs/fuse/connections fusectl rw 0 0
nfsd /proc/fs/nfsd nfsd rw 0 0

If I then unplug and reinsert the USB devices the etc/mtab contains this>
aufs / aufs rw 0 0
tmpfs /lib/init/rw tmpfs rw,nosuid,mode=0755 0 0
proc /proc proc rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 0
udev /dev tmpfs rw,mode=0755 0 0
tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=620 0 0
/dev/sdb1 /live/image vfat rw,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=cp437,iocharset=utf8,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro 0 0
tmpfs /live/cow tmpfs rw,noatime,mode=755 0 0
tmpfs /live tmpfs rw,relatime 0 0
tmpfs /tmp tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev 0 0
rpc_pipefs /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs rpc_pipefs rw 0 0
fusectl /sys/fs/fuse/connections fusectl rw 0 0
nfsd /proc/fs/nfsd nfsd rw 0 0
/dev/sdc1 /media/LMSDAta ext3 rw,noatime 0 0
/dev/sdd1 /media/Seagate_FreeAgent_Go_2GE957HB- ext3 rw,noatime 0 0

So why is the USB devices not recognized during or after a reboot any longer_
Can it be some kind of a timing issue, so that the mtab file is written before the USB devices are ready, so maybe mtab should be written a little later?
I dont think I had this problem using Foxyroxy version-02?

Steen
SBP

Postby SBP » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:22 am

Well I thought that I could update the mtab file by using the mount -a command. But it did not work>
SBP

Postby jbv » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:53 am

Hi Steen,

While I understand this is a high-priority for you at the moment, it is something that I will need to look at later. Trust me, this will be critical as I move forward with my NAS which will have 20 HDD's plugged into it, so getting the mount points right will be critical.

Right now, my head is a little fuzzy, but trust me; this will be sorted ... and sorted soon

Cheers, Brenton
jbv

Postby SBP » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:23 am

jbv wrote:Hi Steen,
While I understand this is a high-priority for you at the moment,
Right now, my head is a little fuzzy, but trust me; this will be sorted ... and sorted soon

Cheers, Brenton

Hi Brenton,
Easy now, just take your time.
I can easily manage it as it is now - I just thought that you might need all the information I had.

Steen
SBP

Postby jbv » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:30 am

Thanks Steen,

Obviously this is something I will run into myself in time (I had sort-of expected that I would).

I always knew that the auto-magically loading of USB sticks would jump up and bite me, but it was such a handy feature to have that I just had to have it.

Rest assured it will get sorted quite soon. If you can find a work-around that works for you in the meantime, that would be really great for me. I may even ask you about this in a week or two, when undoubtedly I will no run into it too :)

Cheers, Brenton
jbv

Postby jbv » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:58 am

Hi Steen,

I saw exactly the same thing a few moments (hours) ago. I really think this is somewhat related to an issue I first saw back in the early days of my intro do Debian-Live, that following some info from you, I assumed was the USB port I was using.

If you recall, my early days of testing led me to feel there was a "randomness" to which USB stick Dev-Live would boot from. You informed me that you did not have that issue as after some messing around, you had found a USB socket that the machine always booted from, no matter what. As I can't access 4 of the USB ports on my machine without making some custom cables, that I will do, but am not ready for yet, I took your info on "face value".

However, I stumbled upon something tonight that leads me to think there is still something strange happening with the machine BIOS and what eventually gets to the Deb "boot" sequence.

The scenario was as follows:

I put a bootable USB stick into a front-panel USB port on my main Dell/Windows machine. Restarted the machine, pressed F12 so that I got the "boot menu". Then, I inserted an other USB stick into a USB socket on my Dell Monitor (so this is now off of a USB-hub) and I choose the only USB stick which was identified in the boot-menu, which was a USB:Sansdisk

As soon, as it started to boot, I knew something was wrong, because it did not load the .squashfs files I expected. - Yeah, I actually watch the boot messages all the time. Sure enough, the machine had booted from a USB stick that was in the monitor USB port it - freaked me out too ... but, it gets screwier....

After it had booted, the stick that it should have booted was mounted in /media but with a volume name something like sansdisk cruzer and then a UUID instead of the real volume name which should have been FOXYROXY. Now, both of these sticks were bootable and both had the same volume label, which could have been part of the reason for the screwyness.

I don't know if I can or will get to the bottom of this easily or quickly. So, as a short-medium-long term fix, I suggest that you make sure that your "data volume" is not bootable and also contains a unique volume label.

I will have another look at this in the future, but as to when, I can't say.

Could you please rebuild your "data" stick. Make sure that it is not bootable and has a unique volume name and let me know if this fixes the issue for you in the immediate future. If it does, then great, and it is something I suggest we both note, and that perhaps Kazza documents somewhere, until one of us gets some time to chase it down.

Cheers, Brenton
jbv

Postby SBP » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:23 pm

Hi Brenton

Thanks for your warning.
I'm absolutely sure that my issue has nothing to do to any sort of randomness. Whenever I used the 95-squashfs file I had this problem with wrong names, but if I called it noload - and just used the default foxyroxy, everything is fine, it finds the disks and give them the correct names.

So it has something to do with my 95-squashfs creation.

Steen
SBP

Postby jbv » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:01 am

Hi Steen,

95-create does not remove anything when making the 95-snap file. This is "by design", to ensure that we get a perfectly clean copy of all system changes since start-up. While I acknowledge that letting some things like the /media auto-mount points and some other files can have unintended consequences, I fear that by trying to have 95-create remove these would lead to problems and issues down the track.

The whole intent of 95-create is to get a "golden" snapshot, that can and should be cleaned manually later.
When I use 95-create, the very next command I type is 95-load, then I review the /tmp/sqf-snap with XFE and just remove the stuff I know I don't want or need. Then after I know what is in /tmp/sqf-snap, I may edit 95-clean to turn some stuff on or off before running it, then I may run 99-zapmans, and give it another close look before using 95-save

FYI:
If you leave the "STANDARD" option to "yes" in 95-clean
It will remove the /media directory, /etc/mtab, /etc/mtab, and _most_ other things that can cause grief if they are in the snapshot. However, you should always check the /etc/network and /etc/udev directories first as while 99% of the time you don't want these saved, there may be the one time when you do, or you may want/need to pull out a file from there and drop it back after 95-clean has done it's thing.

If you can upload the file 95-snap.squashfs file somewhere, and send me a PM, I will happily download it, and have a look. Obviously, I am keen to see what is knocking out what....

Cheers, Brenton
jbv

Postby SBP » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:20 am

Thank you for your offer

I have just uploaded the file to your place (as per instructions in your PM)

In this one, the name of the HDD's are switched.

BONUS INFO: If I then power off, and pull the two USB-devices, and put the Seagate device in the USB port, where the LMSDAta device previously was sitting, and visa versa - they show up correctly after a reboot.

Cheers
Steen
SBP

Postby SBP » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:48 pm

Hi Brenton

You fixed my issue
I dont know what you did, but now the content (or the names of the disks) are correct no matter what I try to do to make it fail.

I even tried to switch both USB devices and reboot, but everything is working fine again.

Cheers
Steen
SBP

PreviousNext

Return to Whoops - This needs fixing