Hi a simple question

This is the place for a chat or general type question

Hi a simple question

Postby SBP » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:48 am

Hi
Congratulation on your new project, I have been reading most of your forum posts, and I'm looking forward to try Foxyroxylinux.

One question: I have not been able to find information on the minimal requirement.
Somewhere I read that it should be running in 128 MB RAM, but what is the minimal size of the HDD or USB. I'm asking because the thin client I'm planning to use has a 500 MB CF-Card - is it possible?

Regards
SBP

Re: Hi a simple question

Postby saintless » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:04 am

Hi, SBP, and Welcome :)

The ISO size is 546 Mb at the moment but it has inside many files wich you might don't want to use. If you use only on kernel like 686-BigMem for example you will need only these files for full desktop FoxyRoxy:

1. 01-FoxyRoxy.squashfs
2. 02-FoxyDesktop.squashfs
3. initrd3.img
4. vmlinuz3

And the size will be about 417 Mb on your CF-Card. As far as I understand you are planning to use it as HDD install from this card. So it is possible.
If you like to make bootable CF-Card like bootable USB stick you will have to edit the ISO by removing some files and leaving only the files you need to reduce the size.

FoxyRoxy will run on less than 128 Mb RAM computer with sure but some of the desktop applications like Firefox will load and work very very slowly.
saintless

Postby jbv » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:36 am

Hi SBP,

saintless is correct in that you only need the files he mentioned. So, the short answer to your question is ... Yep, no problem.

The "basic" 01-FoxyRoxy.squashfs is larger than Pussy due to my starting with the latest Debian-Live, whereas Pussy started with the 5.9 series. Therefore the base Debian is larger to begin with.
The "base" FoxyRoxy also includes X11, OpenBox, Audio and quite a bit more. I don't know if you could really pull much or anything out of the base without loosing quite a bit of functionality.

The ISO also includes a complete build/development environment, although it is in a separate .sqf which you would not need to have on the SD-Card

Quick question though, SD-Cards are dirt cheap nowadays and I figure you should be able to get a 1Gb card for under $10 Will your client read a 1Gb card?

Cheers
jbv

Postby saintless » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:41 am

About the minimum amount of RAM FoxyRoxy works also on 64 RAM computer but the system boot takes longer and works much slower even with SWAP partition.
Conky shows 27 Mb RAM usage (from 64) + 32 Mb SWAP usage when desktop is loaded.

We can consider 128 Mb RAM as a lower limit for proper working FoxyRoxy.
saintless

Postby jbv » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:55 am

27Mb ??? :o WoW :o Even I'm impressed :lol:
jbv

Postby saintless » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:45 am

jbv wrote:27Mb ??? :o WoW :o Even I'm impressed :lol:

Believe it or not see the picture :)
But I really don't recommend running FoxyRoxy with only 64 Mb RAM.

Screenshot (Medium).jpg
Screenshot (Medium).jpg (43.88 KiB) Viewed 8263 times
saintless

Postby jbv » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:40 am

Schweet - I love it <fx:puffed and proud chest> ... I'm impressed, seriously :lol:

Since we're playing "screenshots", this is one I know you've seen before, but ...
This still makes me happy - there's always something special about your first time ;)
FoxyRoxy-ScreenShot (Medium).JPG
FoxyRoxy-ScreenShot (Medium).JPG (62.04 KiB) Viewed 8324 times

Taken while things were still in development - what it doesn't show are the 4 media-players that were streaming 720p videos from FoxyRoxy over a 54Mbps wireless network, with all of the actual data-files being pulled from another server via NFS while a Windows machine was also beating up on FoxyRoxy and running another video via Media-Player classic from a USB stick in the FoxyRoxy machine, while GaGa was going GoGo in the live desktop off of another USB stick in the FoxyRoxy machine. Now, were using even less memory and CPU ... Gotta love-it ... Cheers :lol:
jbv

Postby jbv » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:13 am

Hi SBP,

I've found another 10Mb that can be removed from 01-FoxyRoxy.squashfs

Although you may need to do this on another machine, because with only 500Mb of disk and 128Mb of RAM, things will get real ugly, real quick.

If you use the script 01-load, it will unpack the sqf into /tmp/foxyroxy (or wherever you set your SQF_WRK directory to be).
You can then remove the following two files:
/tmp/sqf-foxyroxy/var/cache/apt/pkgcache.bin
/tmp/sqf-foxyroxy/var/cache/apt/srcpkgcache.bin

The script 01-save will save the trimmed file back to where it came from and rename the original as a backup.

While you have just removed 26.4Mb, this relates to about 10Mb in the .sqf

... You need to know that the moment you do an apt-get update, apt will re-create the files and they will chew up memory because of the way the filesystem works. FYI, it will do this even if you don't trim them - once again, it is just the way a "live" system works.

However, if you are not looking to use apt or the like to install stuff while running from the CF-Card - sort out the sound drivers (run the patch if you need to) and then only put 01-FoxyRoxy.squashfs and 02-FoxyDesktop.squashfs on the CF-Card, I've now got the two files down to using a combined space of 421Mb with both Unetbootin and a trimmed version of SoftMaker Office 2008 installed.

So without those two packages, it would be under 400Mb.

Cheers
jbv

Postby SBP » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:59 am

Thank for you continued help.

I realize that the 500 MB might be restricting, therefore, I have added a 1 GB card, that I intend to use.

Right now I\m still booting from my USB stick / and everything is fine.

I have been playing with the minidnla, and trying to change the media directory so it points toward my USB attached HDD. It is mounted fine when I attach it, and I try to put tis path in the minidnla config file> /media/Seagate_FreeAgent_Go_2GE957HB-

media_dir=V, /media/Seagate_FreeAgent_Go_2GE957HB-/Videoer Then press save and close the editing window.

Then reboot, but the next time it starts, the changes are reverted to the original / so I have not completely got the grib on how to adjust foxyroxy.

I have been using Voyage linux for some time, and here you have to enable read acces by the command remountrw, and when finished you go in read only mode again by remountro. But I need to read more about foxyroxy in order to understand better.

Regards
SBP

Postby saintless » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:21 am

SBP wrote:Then reboot, but the next time it starts, the changes are reverted to the original / so I have not completely got the grib on how to adjust foxyroxy.

Hi, SBP,
you need to use live-rw save file or to create a snapshot to save the changes.
I will write some instructions about the live-rw save file soon.
To create a snapshot just use 95-create script from /scripts
Or open a terminal after you change the paths you need and type:
Code: Select all
mksquashfs /live/cow /live/image/live/99-my-save-file.squashfs

This will create 99-my-save-file.squashfs with your changes in /live/image/live and after reboot you will have the changes.

JBV made scripts to rebuild your FoxyRoxy main squash file with your changes. You can read about the scripts here.
http://foxyroxylinux.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=108
saintless

Next

Return to General Stuff