FoxyRoxy - Older News - DevRel_02 (archive)

Tips and Techniques on day to day stuff

Re: FoxyRoxy - DevRel_03 in beta-test

Postby KazzaMozz » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:07 pm

Hi Boys

Saintless wrote: Both have almost the same interface and need almost the same HDD space (about 35 Mb).
Brasero has "Create video DVD or SVCD" option which I don't see in XFburn but the rest is the same in both.

Would come in handy.

Saintless wrote:We can do this with Take Snapshot easy. Just use 5 or 10 seconds delay option and open the menu you need to capture.

This is how I use it, gives you time, also the choose the area to capture is great.

jbv wrote:Oh, the big one ... Who is going to help me sort out the documentation and clean this crap up?

I can do some of that for you too. (when the hands not so sore)

Saintless wrote:I can help with this but I wonder if my thinking will be the same as yours while copying "golden" posts here and there :) I don't think we should move them from the thread where they were posted.

I agree for now leave them where they are, as there are already a couple of dead links, which I must locate and let you know where I spotted them.

Saintless wrote:Live and Desktop linux - I guess you mean are we going to try to make FoxyRoxy working as uncompressed linux installed on the hard drive and saving every change you do in the right place as standard debian installation on the hard drive. And if you do some mistake the system is dead and you need new installation.
Not sure what the question was, but don't like the sound of the if you make a mistake. Which the end-user always does :(

Edit 2: You forgot to mention the Reboot and Shutdown buttons work in DevRel_3 ;)

Hooray for that. :lol:

Cheers
Kazza
KazzaMozz

Re: FoxyRoxy - Where we are at

Postby KazzaMozz » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:36 am

NVIDIA Nirvana ... The NVIDIA drivers have now been pre-integrated for all kernels.
The drivers are now included in the ISO with the filename of 011-FoxyNVIDIA.squashfs.noload
To load the NVIDIA drivers, simply rename the file to be 011-FoxyNVIDIA.squashfs and restart - YEP ... That's all folks 8-)

You know when you read something and you go shit wished I'd read that bit earlier. Can I make a suggestion, in the first page which I have read all the way through down to the end now. Could you put a link to the first page, to take you straight the page describing all the scripts.
http://www.foxyroxylinux.com/viewtopic. ... rt=10#p410 this explanation is great thanks

Now I'll just have to remove the 03NVidias :lol: . No biggy no saves as yet, wanted to get all the information before I plunged in. All I did was do the iso and loaded the old NViDIAs.
Edited as per your PM the other bits.
Great no audio patching

[ New Scripts in /scripts/special ]
01-remove486 = Removes the 486 kernel files from 01-FoxyRoxy
01-remove686 = Removes the 686 kernel files from 01-FoxyRoxy
01-removeBigMem = Removes the 686-bigmem kernel files from 01-FoxyRoxy

So does it cleanup the menu or I need to do that manually ?

Then

Cheers
Kazza
KazzaMozz

Postby jbv » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:01 am

KazzaMozz wrote:So does it cleanup the menu or I need to do that manually ?

Sheesh, whad'ya want for nufin? :)

I actually thought about it ... for a micro-second.
Real problem in going that far is that the person might have booted from anywhere.
I guess it would be possible to parse the mount points to find it ... but seriously, it gets to a point where you've got to make people do some stuff themselves.

BTW, do you know if it is possible to get the ISO/SYS linux menu system to either rename a file before it executes the boot sequence, or use a different directory?

I'm wondering if it would be possible to have a boot menu that provided a selection for 686-Bigmem and 686-Bigmem(NVIDIA)
jbv

Postby KazzaMozz » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:01 am

Hi there
yeah yeah I expected I would need to do the manual. Can't hurt to ask as you do so much I don't expect :lol:

BTW, do you know if it is possible to get the ISO/SYS linux menu system to either rename a file before it executes the boot sequence, or use a different directory?

I'm wondering if it would be possible to have a boot menu that provided a selection for 686-Bigmem and 686-Bigmem(NVIDIA)

I can't see why not but would have to have a think about it. I've done it in other systems but this is a bit different. The catch would be once they are installed. So the first boots easy, after that It would have to call a different save or pre file to load and not the save containing the drivers. This is kind of what I did the XBMC to run. So I can't see why we can't have a front end menu seems easy enough but then again there may be other things to consider. I'll mull it over when I've had more of a look at what you already do.

Would be nice if we had that.

And the battery is about to die.

cheers
KazzaMozz

Postby jbv » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:02 pm

KazzaMozz wrote:And the battery is about to die.

Best cop-out ever :!: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
jbv

Postby jbv » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:57 pm

Update from additions and fixes made last night.
Testing revealed that one lib file had been incorrectly renamed by accident. This has been fixed.

The [TaskBar] --> [Shutdown] and [Reboot] buttons were not working when Toni mentioned it. After re-reading, I think he was actually asking me a question, rather than telling you all. Anyway, I gave this a bit of thought and tried something else that has worked, so they now work. Short story ... I was trying to get these buttons to work by sending a message to the Dbus system, but we need Consolekit for that. Instead of doing it delicately via Dbus, I've pulled out a sledge-hammer and the buttons now work.

FireFox has been updated to version 15.0

After reviewing the info on the Debian packages page for both Brasero and XFburn, I decided to go with Brasero. Without running them, it seemed to me that Brasero was a more complete package and less likely to give trouble. It sounded as though XFburn was still in it's infancy and worked "okay" but could be better, whereas Brasero was a "complete" package and known good application. Another key element in my decision making process was that XFburn requires the Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL). From what I have seen/read. Architecturally (within Linux itself), HAL is being phased out in favor of Dbus which is the natural replacement. I'm fighting tooth and nail to avoid installing HAL, so to me XFburn really had to many things working against it to be the package of choice for me/us. So, I have installed the complete Brasero with all add-ons. There are only 2 add-ons I have not installed. These should be easy enough for anyone to find and include if they want/need them. My reasoning behind not installing them is that I am not sure about the legality of their use here, or elsewhere. I figure it's just not worth the potential pain to me and you.

Golden Rule = "we are trying to do the right thing"

I'm not sure where the "bloat" came from, weather it was FireFox 15 or Brasero, but 02-FoxyDesktop has grown by 12Mb which I'm okay with.

At this point of time, I don't think Brasero has added anything which will make any difference to our base memory and system resource usage (unlike what XFburn would have done), although we will all need to review that once DevRel_03 is released. I should point out that from memory ... Nothing has been added or changed in DevRel_03 that will have any impact on our base resources and overhead.

The only thing that will have any impact is if you require the NVIDIA drivers, and you should remember that the NVIDIA GLX drivers are really only needed if you want or require high-performance video. For most basic desktops or even servers, the standard "Nouveau" drivers will work fine and get your NVIDIA card chuffing along quite happily.

Some more notes, comments.

Regarding SoftMaker Office 2008
After reviewing our current situation for this suite, I have decided to leave it as it is with a separate download.
The download has and does everything. The thread tells you everything and holds your hand.
The included scripts do anything and everything you could want.
Basically, there is no reason to change it, except that I wanted to move it to make sure it loaded further down the start-up sequence if it was being loaded as a sqf. So, I have "refreshed" all of the scripts in our download and they now know that the core sqf filename has been revised to be 10-softmakeroffice. I have made the appropriate changes in the thread and replaced the download file with the "revised" one. This has already been done, and if someone with unlimited traffic usage and some time, could download and check this for me in the next day or two, that would be great.

Regarding Logitech Media Server
After giving this a bit of thought, I have decided to do nothing for a little while. I will wait until Steen has had a chance to tweak and test it some more and he may even care to retest the whole installation process under DevRel_03 If we can get a nice clean setup that we know can work for everyone and we can clearly identify and document exactly what edits need to be made and where to move files etc, then I may consider making a LMS injection along similar lines to the SoftMaker Office suite, or better yet, help Steen make one for us all ;)

So, that's where we are at right now.
I'll try to fix the little thing that I know of tonight, and it will need a day or two of serious testing.

Cheers
jbv

Postby saintless » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:04 am

jbv wrote:The [TaskBar] --> [Shutdown] and [Reboot] buttons were not working when Toni mentioned it. After re-reading, I think he was actually asking me a question, rather than telling you all.

Hi, Brenton,
thanks for fixing those buttons in no time after I mention it. I was not asking a question and the strange thing is in DevRel_03 I have they work on my IBM Netvista as hard drive install. This way I thought they are fixed.
After some more testing they don't work from the CD-Rom and they don't work on another computer as hard drive installation.
To tell you the truth I have no idea what made them work. I use new live-rw save file on IBM Netvista and I was playing before I test the buttons giving default actions for mouse button click on some of the scripts in /script (don't ask me way - just testing). I also installed a few programs like KXStitch, Skype and played a little bit with static Skype package which does not work yet.

I have no idea what I did to make them work but I'm glad you have the final solution for Shutdown and Reboot now :D

BTW KXStith does not get menu entry in taskbar menu but it gets in debian menu.

Cheers, Toni
saintless

Postby jbv » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:31 am

Hi Toni,

Hmmmm ... Interesting ... I wonder if KMStitch installs Consolekit?

Or perhaps the Skype stuff installs something.
Have you installed either of these on any other machines with FoxyRoxy and noticed if the shutdown work then?

Can you PM me a link to it or do i just apt-get it?
I will have a quick look.

The current FoxyRoxy DevRel_02 (and beta _03) have what should be valid and correct Dbus messages that should end up being passed through to the lower levels. I'd still like to do it that way, and would also like to send proper Dbus message tot he lower levels when i start playing with Adeskbar myself and start creating our own notification area add-ons to do things like unmount UDB sticks and the like., so cracking this will be important in the not so distant future. As you know from of our discussions prior to the forum, I researched Consolekit some time ago and saw that while it is the key to proper Dbus communications from higher levels back down into the bowels of Linux, it has more than one or two worms with the current Debian setups and configurations, whereby all it seems to do is trash perfectly good working systems. This is why I have shied away from it for now. If KMStitch or Skype can help solve this issue, I would like to have a quick look. I would not get it into DevRel_03 and I wouldn't even bother with it until I've got the basics of my own project done, but I would make some notes in our Developers Thread so that someone else might pick it up or at least I'd have something for when I start playing.

To create a [TaskBar Menu] entry for KMStitch you might need to create a .desktop entry in /usr/share/applications.
I'm not really sure what "Sections" Adeskbar knows about.
I realise I should look in the source to find out, but I've got other priorities at the moment.

Anyway, have a look at some of the existing entries, you will soon work out what to do.

Cheers, Brenton
jbv

Postby saintless » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:43 am

jbv wrote:Can you PM me a link to it or do i just apt-get it?

Hi, Brenton,
you can just apt-get KXStitch. For Skype install this debian package with
Code: Select all
dpkg -i name-of-the-package

and after this run
Code: Select all
apt-get -f install

I will check out what else I have done or install on IBM Netvista.

Thanks for the pointers about missing menu entry. I will copy your information here:
http://foxyroxylinux.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=170
saintless

Postby saintless » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:29 am

Shutdown button working on IBM Netvista mystery solved...
While testing other things I've also changed the settings for the button and I forgot about it later. Looks like I'm getting old :oops:
Screenshot-1.png
Screenshot-1.png (66.99 KiB) Viewed 7392 times
saintless

PreviousNext

Return to Using FoxyRoxyLinux