FoxyRoxy - Current News - DevRel_03 (current)

Tips and Techniques on day to day stuff

Re: FoxyRoxy - Current News - DevRel_03 (current)

Postby jbv » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:39 am

If anyone from Intel is lurking here ...

I so want one (two, three, or four) of these .... FoxyRoxyLinux was MADE for this ... and ... you know it.

Any mobo manufacturers that want to jump on this ... shoot me a PM.
The basic design has real potential and I am the bloke who can help you get to where you want to be.

For those who don't understand this sort of stuff ...

This is really killer gear, and a total game-changer.
Without seeing the basic reference designs/layout, but with what I do know ...
it is the most potentially unbelievable product that you could possibly imagine.
Done properly, this could be a real ARM killer.

It will be very interesting to see where it goes, and who takes it up. This is exactly what FoxyRoxyLinux has been waiting for, not so much from the NAS side of things, but ore from the home media-player side that I have been playing with behind the scenes with the help of a couple of elves ...

<fx:phew> our future is assured, and our development path is on the right track.
Hang in there, coz from here things can only get wilder.

Very BIG Cheers, Brenton
jbv

Postby KazzaMozz » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:01 pm

jbv wrote:If anyone from Intel is lurking here ...

I so want one (two, three, or four) of these .... FoxyRoxyLinux was MADE for this ... and ... you know it.
<fx:phew> our future is assured, and our development path is on the right track.

Yep that's hit the nail right on the head.
I'm liking this very much :P I can't wait till I'm all setup in the new place, so I can get back to doing Foxy properly.
Loved the Thunderbirds are go. I'm a bit of a Gmail girl as I float across so many machines. Have Claws on the Tower & it seems to work well. Right now I don't need anything too much as I have gotten into the cloud side of things a bit. Kinda just happened. My main Tower and Desktop are all packed away :( I don't totally trust cloud so always have my offline backups just in case.

On a side note I am currently playing with Foxy in VirtualBox with the wireless bridge so testing is a lot simpler. I'd forgotten how cool virtual was :lol: As I have only little bits of time here and there. With only a measly laptop :( My old toshiba between all the other crap going on a bit of a distraction and fun for me too.

Looking forward to the future of Foxy coz it's going to be fab!!

cheers
Kazza
KazzaMozz

Postby saintless » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:56 pm

jbv wrote:<fx:phew> our future is assured, and our development path is on the right track.

Nice to read this, Brenton,
I know my i386 with 3 Mb RAM will not be happy to give up his FoxyRoxy dream but life is cruel some times :)
Cheers, Toni
saintless

Postby KazzaMozz » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:32 am

Hi Toni
I know my i386 with 3 Mb RAM will not be happy to give up his FoxyRoxy dream but life is cruel some times

Ah to be sure but.... there is always another dream to be had around another corner :lol: . This gave me a good chuckle that I really needed.
Cheers
Kazza
KazzaMozz

Postby jbv » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:02 am

It hasn't been a fun week. Got the work/work stuff done on Saturday as planned, although it took pretty much most of the day. Had a great night on Saturday Night ( Akmal is 'da-best! )

Wandered into the study/office/lab Sunday morning wiggle the mouse on my brand new super-duper main machine to wake it up, instead of the machine and monitor coming out of stand-by mode, the entire office shuts down instantly! Turn everything off at the switches, wander outside and sure enough the breaker has tripped. Reset the breaker, wander back into the office and start turning things on one at a time. My main machine is left till last. Turn it on and it just sits there doin'nufin. Change power-point, change lead ... nufin!

The new PSU has decided that it just doesn't want to work for a living. Now all of my notes are on hard-drives on two machines, niether of which I can power-up. Not sure if I've kicked a Black Cat, walked under a ladder, made a China Man angry, or what, but whatever it was/is ... I am eternally sorry.

With all of the machinery I have here, this new (i7 Z77) main-board requires power-supply connections that are unique to it as far as all of my other machinery is concerned. Currently going though the getting messed around phase of trying to get stuff exchanged. Hope it wont take much longer.

With some luck, once I get past this, I hope it will be the last hickup. I'm really looking forward to the coming 3-week break for Christmas/New Year, as with few a good solid days uninterrupted, I should have everything sorted.

Will keep you posted....

Cheers, Brenton
jbv

Postby jbv » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:54 am

I'm alive, with no thanks to the discount mail-order place I bought my stuff from.
Talk about jerking a person around until they go away.

Not being the type to "give up", after a rather agro phone conversation which resulted in my hanging-up on them as I was a cats whisker away from telling them that I'd be returning everything (though their fancy glass windows), I did a bit of digging and found out who they bought the stuff from (the distributor). Thankfully, the person I spoke to there was a lot more helpful (actually, he was a real star).

I am making progress on getting my machinery sorted and should be back on-deck this week-end.
Along the way, I have discovered quite a few things about Intel CPU's main-boards, USB3 and front-panel connectors and a whole heap of other stuff.

I've also found my newest-best'est-friend ( is that a BFF ? ) who happens to work at a importer/distributor of main-boards and other good quality stuff, but more on all of this later too.

Getting on top of stuff at work, which is nice, so with the forthcoming 3-week break from professional duties over Christmas/New Year, I think we'll be well placed in very early January.

Oh, a good personal friend has contributed 4 x 1.5Tb HDD's and 1 x 2.0Tb HDD (on-loan), so the impending doom of running out of disk space has been alleviated. My newest BFF also has access to some pretty neat main-boards and after comparing my wish-list to his available-list, my second machine being a resurrection of my old main-machine may be resolved by this weekend too, which would be nice. If this comes to fruition, my replacement second-machine will have 2 x Gb Ethernet ports in addition to 6 x SATA ports + 2 x SATA ports that support port-multiplication in addition to optical audio and a heap of other stuff, so this will let me properly test things like using FoxyRoxyLinux as a Gateway/Firewall/Internet-Connection-Sharing in addition to being a Home-Theater media player.

More soon...

Cheers, Brenton
jbv

Postby KazzaMozz » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:22 am

Hey there
Kudos to you for your eternal energy and perserverance with all of your recent troubles and machinery letting you down recently.
Glad to hear about your BFF as they can come in very handy!!
I'm also looking forward to the holiday break.....well mines sorting and setting up my new digs but......I'll get there ASAP to be back with Foxy.
However I'm not really online as I am between houses right now, but I am logging in when I can to see what's happening !

Keep up the good work Brenton and I'm glad to read you never give up even when it all comes crashing down

Cheers
Kazza
KazzaMozz

Postby jbv » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:00 am

Hi Kazza,

As luck would have it, I needed to attend a meeting near my newest BFF today, so I gave him a call before leaving.
I was told, "No problem", so I hit the ATM after my meeting and manged to swing-by just before closing.

For A$100- (inc GST) I managed to buy a brand-new Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P

This baby has 2 x 1Gb Ethernet ports and also uses the latest Intel Chipset for Socket-775 processors, being the P45 + ICH10R and it also has the GigaByte SATA-2 chip (which is really a JMB-363) so at least 2 of the 8 x SATA ports will support a port-mulitplier. A quick look at a few things and it seems that this board will reliably run a 2.8Ghz Q9550 at 3.4Ghz with the DDR2 RAM I already have, so the next few night may be fun.

Mind you, the fun started as soon as I thought I'd start building it.

My choices were to drop the new mobo into the old Dell case, or to drop it into my spare NAS case as I bought of these 2 late last year. Of course, nothing ever works as planned. For starters, the Dell mobo had a rather strange heatsink/fan arrangement, that required me to very carefully leverage the brackets off of the old board and work some magic to get it onto the new board properly. Then there was the PSU and front-panel connections. The Dell case has a slightly funny front-panel connector arrangement, and as it was starting to get a little late, I really didn't feel like taking all of the pins out of the sockets and then trying to get them back into the socket in the correct sequence (location). So, I thought I'd just drop it into the spare NAS case instead ... One minor detail, as the NAS case was purchase to hold 2 x 5-in-3 hot-swap bays, these things use the older style molex plugs, so I was quite careful when I bough the case to get one that had a heap of the old-style drive power connectors and not the newer SATA power connectors. So, the PSU wouldn't work. I was just about to start considering cutting the SATA power cables out of the Dell PSU and splicing them into the new PSU, when it dawned on me that perhaps putting the Dell PSU into the new case might be a better option, so that is what I went with. Then there was another minor detail in that the Chassis Fans in the new case were also terminated with the old style molex pass-though plug/socket, so a fan exchange was also required.

So, I've now got a bit of a Frankenstien case that has the new mobo, with my old Q9550 CPU and memory, NVIDIA card, my old drives and half of my old case grafted into the new case. It should work and depending upon how much of a hard time Win-XP gives me with the swapped bits, it may even work.

I'm not going to even try to turn it on tonight, as that will be tomorrow nights fun and games, but with some luck, I may just be okay with this.

I'll keep you posted.... I hope it just works and requires a bit of playing with drivers etc, but something tells me there will be more (Win-XP licensing - which is all legit, but I just know it will barf and tell me I am a crook, because it is the way nowadays to just assume everyone is a crook) frustration ahead.

Cheers, Brenton
jbv

Postby jbv » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:22 am

Quick Update ... I was right ... with the new mobo ... WinXP tells me that I am a criminal and refuses to work.

No problem, I've bought a legit license when I bought the machine, so I phone Microsoft.
They tell me the same thing - I am a criminal and a crook and they refuse to authorize my WinXP because it is not running on the exact same hardware as it was when I paid for the license ...

Just letting you all know that I'm not dead, nor am I beat, and that right now I am really just consolidating everything, and clearing the decks while sorting out a heap of garbage that has been thrown at me lately.

There may not be much happening in pubic over the next few days, but I am really working behind the scenes to get things sorted so that we will have a Release Candidate 1 after the forthcoming 3 week holiday I have that starts in 2 weeks. I ask that you remember that I have a real paying job, that must get my full attention and as such, I am usually quite beat when I get home at night. ...

The direction is sound.
The foundations are solid.
I am on the right track.
I will win.

Cheers, Brenton
jbv

Postby saintless » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:00 pm

Hi, Brenton,

Sorry for you M$ troubles. Do what you have to do but don't let this make you too mad. Pity is what you should really feel and this is what Microsoft deserves from us.

Cheers, Toni
saintless

PreviousNext

Return to Using FoxyRoxyLinux