FoxyRoxy - Current News - DevRel_03 (current)

Tips and Techniques on day to day stuff

FoxyRoxy - Current News - DevRel_03 (current)

Postby jbv » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:48 am

Hi folks,

DevRel_03 is now "golden" and "live"

I would like to thank saintless and KazzaMozz who were tireless with their testing and help in getting as much as we could "just right". If you liked DevRel_02, I think you're going to love DevRel_03

The 576Mb ISO file can be downloaded by <clicking this link>

You will notice a few changes to the Forum over the next week or two as behind the scenes, our hard working helpers scramble to help clean-up, sort, and consolidate our documentation. Over the last few months we have been feeling our way, and things have become a little messy as we were trying new techniques and styles, while trying to work out for the best way to do things. We think we've got a bit of a plan to re-structure everything and make it all conform to a common style/layout, but this won't be done overnight.

Regards, Brenton
jbv

Re: FoxyRoxy - Current News - DevRel_03 (current)

Postby jbv » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:07 pm

While the ISO is now 12Mb larger, there is a lot of value packed into the 12Mb

System resource usage and requirements remain unchanged. The only thing that will have any impact is if you require the NVIDIA drivers. Please consider that the NVIDIA GLX drivers should only be used if you require high-performance desktop video. For most desktops and almost all servers, the standard "Nouveau" drivers work fine, and your NVIDIA card will operate at high resolutions quite happily.

The following notes reflect the changes and enhancements in DevRel_03

The [TaskBar] --> [Shutdown] and [Reboot] buttons now work

ALSA drivers have been updated to 1.0.25 for all kernels.
- There is no need for any audio patching.
All sound cards supported by Linux will work.

NVIDIA drivers have now been pre-integrated for all kernels.
- The drivers are now included in the ISO with the filename of 011-FoxyNVIDIA.squashfs.noload
To load the NVIDIA drivers, simply rename the file to be 011-FoxyNVIDIA.squashfs and restart.

FireFox has been updated to version 15.0

miniDLNA has been updated to 1.0.25

Unetbootin is included as a standard package

Gftp has been included as a standard package

Brasero has been included as a standard package
- This is a CD/DVD burning package and has been installed with all add-ons.
There are only 2 add-ons that have not been installed.
These should be easy enough for anyone to find and include if they want or need them.
The logic behind not installing them is that I am not sure about the legality of their use here, or elsewhere.
Golden Rule = "we are trying to do the right thing"

apt-get repositories have been restored to the default for Debian squeeze.
- Australian mirrors have been commented out, but are still there for Australians.
The repository name for deb-multimedia has been fixed, just uncomment it.
- The keyring for deb-multimedia has already been generated.

90-build.squashfs.noload now contains development headers for all kernels.

Changes to Scripts

1) All 95-series scripts now preserve permissions

2) All 95-series scripts and any script that saves/writes now flushes the disk buffers before completion and all flushing messages are consistent.

3) 95-create and 95-refresh have a setting to perform a "QuickClean"
- This removes all .wh. and .bak and .log files from 95-snap
- The default for "QuickClean" is "yes"

99-snap now creates/updates 05-FoxyConfig
05-load = new script
05-save = new script

05-saveservices = new script that updates 05-FoxyConfig with the current system services startup sequence
Note: this is only visible after /scripts/special/05-punchservices has been run (See below)
This script should be considered as being in a extremely beta phase.
It has not undergone much testing, so please be careful and expect it to mess up until it is perfected.
It is really here for testing at this point in time, but do not blindly trust it.
Any feedback on testing you may be game enough to undertake, would be appreciated.
Now might be a good time to remind everyone that this is a Developers Release.
As such you are expected to be a bit of a developer.

General note about 99-snap I understand that it could be argued how this should be named 05-snap
The logic here is that this is a special script you are likely to use a bit, yet we do not want to encourage overuse of it.
This script should be the last thing you do. Hence the 99-snap filename.

[ New Scripts in /scripts/special ]
01-remove486 = Removes the 486 kernel files from 01-FoxyRoxy
01-remove686 = Removes the 686 kernel files from 01-FoxyRoxy
01-removeBigMem = Removes the 686-bigmem kernel files from 01-FoxyRoxy

05-punchservices = This one is a doozey
It removes all startup files from 01-FoxyRoxy and 02-FoxyDesktop and punches them into 05-FoxyConfig
It also punches 05-saveservices into /scripts and removes itself and 05-saveservices from /scripts/special

[ Other Changes ]
/root/.profile has been tweaked. When logging into tty1 it now looks to see if the NVIDIA drivers are loaded before auto-starting X
This is a bit of a kludge but it means we don't need to patch 02-FoxyDesktop to use the NVIDIA drivers.

ISO Master will appear in [Taskbar Menu] --> [Accessories] instead of [Sound & Video]

Some additional notes and things to be aware of:

Regarding NVIDIA drivers
Once loaded, special 011-nvidia scripts will auto-magically appear in /scripts
There is a merge script included. Once this script is run, you can delete the .noload file
Any changes made to the NVIDIA configuration will be saved into 05-FoxyConfig by 99-snap

Regarding miniDLNA
The startup script in /etc/init.d has been fixed to allow network cards to obtain their IP from slow DHCP servers. This can take a little while to obtain if your network card requires firmware to be loaded (as many Realtek cards and embedded Ethernet chips do). If the miniDLNA service is turned on at startup, you may notice a message prior to the signon prompt. The message will count from 0 to 200 (in under 20 seconds) and will stop as soon as the card has a valid IP or the timeout expires ( so headless machines won't lock up ) You can terminate the process by pressing a key on the keyboard, but with the keypress technique being used the spacebar and shift/control/alt/enter keys won't work.

Regarding SoftMaker Office 2008
It was necessary to move this package further down the start-up sequence if being loaded as a sqf.
Therefore, the .sqf has been renumbered and associated scripts have been revised.
This has resulted in a replacement .sqf which can be downloaded by <clicking on this link>
The tips and notes for SoftMaker Office can be found <here>

Regarding Logitech Media Server
There have been no changes made that relate to LMS.
jbv

Bump

Postby jbv » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:10 am

<fx: Thread Bump>

In case you missed it --- The important stuff is up the top :!:

Cheers, Brenton
jbv

The Foxy-USB-Installer gets a makeover

Postby jbv » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:06 am

For Windows users, there is also a new and improved version of the Universal-USB-Installer, that has been specially tweaked for FoxyRoxy.

We have named our version Foxy-USB-Installer and it is now even easier to make a bootable USB stick of FoxyRoxy from a Windows machine. The docs have also been improved and updated.

You will find the download link to our new-and-improved Foxy-USB-Installer along with the revised docs in <This Thread>
jbv

I need to "Chat" with someone about scripts

Postby jbv » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:25 pm

Howdy,

While Kazza and Toni are hard at work cleaning up our docs and doing some serious testing on the next stuffing stuff to emerge from our FoxHole ...

Do we have anyone in the house who is a bit of a gun with writing scripts?
In particular, someone who is quite comfortable with find, awk, sed, and some of the other basic you hard-core Linux tools?

Do we have anyone in the house who knows a little about dpkg?

Do we have anyone in the house or am I talking to myself?

Cheers, Brenton
jbv

Postby KazzaMozz » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:27 pm

Hi Brenton
I do know someone I think could be up to the challenge. I was working with him over at the Astone forum which is still down, but can contact him via email.
He may be interested in this project. Can't hurt to ask. I'll email him and see if he'd like to come across to help out.
He was part of our Mod team and since we don't know what the heck is going on with Astone right now this could get his interest.

Cheers
Kazza
KazzaMozz

Postby KazzaMozz » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:59 pm

Hi Brenton
Okay I've sent him an invitation to come look and see if it's for him. Or if he know's someone.
I do have a couple of others friends but like everyone very busy and not sure if theywant to stretch their time
further. Anyway this particular person I think would fit in quite well with us.
We worked well to-gether so I figure he will here too.
Fingers crossed, and if not then onto a couple of others I know of.
He's got a busy schedule too so I also added the Golden rules to the email so
he understands where we all are coming from.
I'll let you know
Cheers
Kazza
KazzaMozz

Postby jbv » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:19 am

Thanks Kazza,

FYI - While composing <this little tome>, I may have found the simple and elegant solution, which may be a little easier than I first thought. It could still be a little heavy for most and I haven't got it 100% right in my own head yet, but I think I'm close to cracking it. Either way, it would be nice to have some help and if we can get any interest and support/help from people who are comfortable scripting and slicing and dicing with the tools mentioned above, that is just the sort of person I'd like to have around.

Cheers, Brenton
jbv

Postby KazzaMozz » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:31 am

Hi Brenton
you blow me away everytime............you really do think outside the box
Cheers
KazzaMozz

Postby jbv » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:41 am

Box? ... What Box? ... What is a Box?
Should I be thinking inside of a Box?
Does that help?

I guess that just means, I will just have to try harder :lol:

Cheers, Brenton
jbv

Next

Return to Using FoxyRoxyLinux