An important Announcement from The Management

Tips and Techniques on day to day stuff

Re: An important Announcement from The Management

Postby jbv » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:40 am

Hi Toni,

It is nice to be back chatting with you also :)

As I still haven't found/unpacked everything, I'm still not quite ready to jump into FoxyRoxy just yet.
Unpacking is a real pain and I have it.
Today I took a few hours and downloaded the latest Debian (wheezy) standard and XFCE editions.

From the quick look, it seems that Debian have really messed up the way that wheezy handles persistence, which has resulted in the whole copy-on-write (cow) scheme changing. From what I could see, the only way to implement persistence is to have a pre-formatted partition or physical container file. Asking for help in the Debian forums only gets the usual terse non-helpful answer. There are a few things in the later kernel and packages that would be nice for FoxyRoxy, although none are critical from what I can see so far. I think we'll just steer a bit of a wide berth around wheezy until the inner workings of the persistence/cow are more widely known and understood.

BTW, I didn't feel too bad about leaving FoxyRoxy alone for such an extended period, because it really is quite solid. The weekend before I moved to Queensland and left the family back in NSW, I quickly configured Skype on my main FoxyRoxy machine at home and also on a USB stick that I used to fire up my Acer netbook. I also dropped TeamViewer on my office machines and also on my FoxyRoxy stick that I took with me. On the few occasions that I had network access, I could use FoxyRoxy to Skype home and also keep my Windoze machines happy via TeamViewer.

I'll make a TeamViewer "injection" soon.

Cheers, Brenton
jbv

Postby saintless » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:35 am

Hi, Brenton,
from what I can remember about wheezy persistence you can still use save file but it has to be named different and it needs also a text file with information what should be saved in this file. I also think it is better to continue with our FoxyRoxy as it is now. If we start updating every new stable version we have to start again from the beginning every year.

Cheers, Toni
saintless

Postby jbv » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:36 am

Hi Toni,

I think that by now you at least know that I am not one to upgrade just for the sake of being on the latest version.

There are a few things in wheezy that can be helpful to us. It will probably be possible for us to graft them out and use in our kernel, although I'm not really sure how tough that will be. At the moment, I'm kind of intrigued as to why they went the way they did. It seems that to get any form on persistence, you must have a r/w partition or file on the medium you are using which will kill a USB stick in a heartbeat. I think there may be a trick that I can try to see if I can get wheezy to start the same way as squeeze and let us have the familiar/comfortable/required /live and /live/cow directories that we would require. If this is possible, then creating a wheezy FoxyRoxy may not be that tough, and we get to keep everything we've done. Some of the biggest benefits to us are in the areas of aufs and nfs which have stuff that will really be nice for us, yet aren't supported in the versions that run on the 2.6 series kernels. There are also some neat things in the area of wireless (as in access-points and supporting wireless-clients, rather than using 3G or WiFi as your Internet connection), that are of interest.

... Anyway ...

Just so that we are clear ... I have no intention of restarting from scratch every year - far from it. For now, I'm just poking and prodding as a form of therapy and refreshing what little *nix skills I have. I promise that I'm not really going to be wasting any time with it, it is more that I'm not setup to play with FoxyRoxy just yet. I've still got to get a little more furniture and keep un-packing. At the moment, the spare room looks like an absolute mess.

So think of this more as mind-jelly stuff for me :)

Cheers, Brenton
jbv

Postby saintless » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:59 pm

Hi, Brenton :)

Finish your unpacking and other issues first and just post here from time time when you can.
Any benefits we can get from wheezy are very welcome if we can really use them.
By the way FoxyRoxy works with all kinds of flash memories I try. Most of them crash while copying 3 and more Gb of data with other linux OS (including my favorite KDpup), but FoxyRoxy does it quick and without problems.

Cheers, Toni
saintless

Postby jbv » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:23 am

Hi Toni,

Will do. Happy (but not surprised) to hear about your data copying experiences. As we both know, FoxyRoxy is pretty darn solid.
Partly (totally) due to the super extensive testing and beating up on stuff that you and I have done in the background. :)

The care and attention to detail in FoxyRoxy may not be apparent at first glance, although in the end it does and always will shine though. Something I learnt a very long time ago is that people (users) do not notice what makes a great product, yet the fact that they don't notice or realise what it is ... well, that's what it is :)

Cheers, Brenton
jbv

Postby KazzaMozz » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:13 am

Hi Boys
Thanks Toni for the message re activity has started I'm glad to see this is still alive and well. I knew it was just a matter of time.
I know what you are going through with the moving Brenton a real PITA and internet issues of relocating. It will take time to
get things how you like them :)
Seems everyone has had a whirlwind last few months.
Life's been crazy here too. New business, My 83 year old Mum busted her hip a few weeks ago and her other issues have certainly taken a slide since then.
I have also been caught up with the setup of our new business and haven't had much time to scratch myself between that and family life.

However I did keep my self busy with my little forum and have learned a few things along the way while Foxy was on hold.

Looking forward to the future of Foxy as it's still one of my favourite distros and as you always say Brenton Rock Solid.

Hooroo

Cheers

Kazza
KazzaMozz

Postby saintless » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:28 am

Hi, Kazza :)
Nice to read you are OK also :)
Congratulations for your new started business!
I hope soon we will chat regular here.

I agree with you, Brenton - people sometimes can't see what makes the product great.
We knew from the start it could happen but it does not much matter for me.
It makes the work easier when we do it for a few people only.

Cheers, Toni
saintless

Postby jbv » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:50 am

Too True Toni.

Great to hear from you Kazza. Even better to hear that things are going well.
I hope that living in the building as George Jetson isn't too stressful :)

I hope to start unpacking disc drives this weekend, so we're making progress :)

Chat soon. Best wishes to you all.

Cheers, Brenton
jbv

Postby jbv » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:29 am

I managed to rearrange the office today. I now have my Foxy machine (monitor/keyboard etc) in a better position, along with some of the other stuff. It still all "feels" a little funny, but I'm sure I've got it right, and after a little while it will begin to feel a little more natural. Still got boxes everywhere and the spare room looks like an absolute mess with various cables, and other bits of computer and electronic equipment strewn everywhere. Still haven't managed to find everything yet and I'm not game to start unpacking disc drives yet because I've got about 20 of them (I know where they all are) but I need to get some other things sorted first.

Took a few moments to clean up a neat tool I was using to access my old office while I was living out of a suitcase for 4 months with sketchy Internet access, and I've popped up another neat add-on that others may find interesting. If anyone does play with it, let me know what you think.

Making progress.... Cheers, Brenton
jbv

Postby saintless » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:35 am

Hi, Brenton.

Glad to hear you are at the end of your unpacking :) I know this is not an easy job to keep your things in order after you move in different house. Much difficult to do it in different town or country.
The last few days I've managed to kill my main computer BIOS after trying to update it (don't ask me way I had this stupid idea).
Fortunately yesterday after a few trials I did successful hot flash with my BIOS chip on another computer and now everything is in order :)

Cheers, Toni
saintless

PreviousNext

Return to Using FoxyRoxyLinux