An important Announcement from The Management

Tips and Techniques on day to day stuff

An important Announcement from The Management

Postby jbv » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:47 am

Hello Everyone,

I ask that you accept my apologies for the lack of activity since the end of December.
I can assure you that this project is far from dead and furthermore, that it will not be allowed to die.
I also ask you to consider that while we are still at what I consider to be a Developer Release stage, what we have is really very stable and built on a sound foundation.

In a nutshell, it is more than usable in it's current form.

Due to unforeseen events prior to Christmas, it may be a few more weeks until I can devote any real time to FoxyRoxyLinux, however that does not mean that it has been forgotten and is not on my mind.

By way of explanation: Over the final few months of last year, the organization I was working for undertook a restructuring program. In early December, "the board" advised everyone that the restructure was complete. However, they overlooked one department - mine. The day before we were scheduled to close for the traditional 3-week Christmas, New Year period (in-line with most Australian businesses), I was told that my section was also due for a somewhat late restructure, and that it was to be restructured into oblivion.

I was tasked with getting all of our current development and projects completed and documented as much as possible so they could be picked up at a later date by another team if circumstances allowed. This took about two and a half weeks, after which I was unemployed.

I was unemployed for 5 hours, when I received a phone call that has had a major impact on my life. I was asked to join a company in another state ( Queensland ). Having known the principles professionally for quite a few years while being on the other side of the fence from them, yet with mutual respect from both sides, I accepted the offer. In late January when the Cyclone had passed through Queensland and most of the population were looking to evacuate, I was on an inbound flight that culminated in one of the most eye-popping landings (and aborted go-arounds) I have experienced in a commercial airplane.

To cut a short story medium, I have been here for a few weeks and am currently getting up to speed, while also needing to consider the relocation of myself and the family. The real planning of which hasn't even started yet. So far, i am really loving what I am seeing, with the exception of the darn mosquitoes. My office at home is off-limits due to the total lock-down architecture it was built with, and while I do have FoxyRoxyLinux on a stick with me, I really don't have time to tinker at the moment. Being brutally honest, I probably won't have a chance to get our drive-pooling fully functional until I get my office up here, which may be a little way down the track.

What I _may_ do over the next few weeks is try to roll-up all of our auto-magic drive mounting and package management stuff into the next dev_rel which I would expect to be our final dev_rel before we go to a final beta containing drive-pooling etc.

At least that is the general plan for now. How it pans out remains to be seen.
One thing I can assure you of is that FoxyRoxyLinux is not going away.

Cheers, Brenton
jbv

Re: An important Announcement from The Management

Postby saintless » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:42 am

Hi, Brenton,
I hope everything will go well with your new job and your new home!
Don't worry about this project. I'm sure you will not give it up and nor do I and Kazza.
Cheers, Toni
saintless

Postby KazzaMozz » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:14 am

Ditto
wish you well Its been a whirlwind end of year for we three. When the time is right we shall continue and Foxy will be even more amazing than it already is.

Cheers Kazza
KazzaMozz

Postby SBP » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:00 am

Hi Brenton.

Sorry to hear about your lost job, but happy to hear that you already found a new one.

Steen
SBP

Postby KazzaMozz » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:23 am

Are we all still afloat..............I'm only above the waterline how about the rest of you??
KazzaMozz

Postby saintless » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:51 am

KazzaMozz wrote:Are we all still afloat..............I'm only above the waterline how about the rest of you??

I'm here, Kazza :) Doing some other things not connected with computers and FoxyRoxy but I will get back soon.
Cheers, Toni
saintless

Postby SBP » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:25 pm

Hi

I'm here as well.
I have been working on my small piCorePlaye (very small Squeezeboxplayer build on microcore linux 25 MB, http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthrea ... queezelite). It is running on a raspberry pi board.

So if you need a small inexpensive player for trying out the LMS server you helped me install on FoxyRoxy a half year ago, you could try it on a the raspberry board.
SBP

Postby KazzaMozz » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:05 am

Gotta laugh
Hello Boys I see the usual suspects are all still at large . SBP your squeezebox looks pretty awesome. Nice work and when I can find my bloody raspberry board it would be good to play with.
Like Toni and yourself other things are keeping us all busy but nice to know we still check in to see what's happening. :lol:
Cheers
Kazza
KazzaMozz

Postby atv » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:31 pm

Hi, to all: It seems 2013 has given us the itch to relocate/make a move, I am in the process of relocating to Lima, Peru. Hope jbv is doing ok in his new job/home. :)
regards to all
Andres
atv

Postby saintless » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:10 am

Hi, atv :)
Nice to see you! Best regards and wish you luck in your new home in Lima!
Cheers, Toni
saintless

Next

Return to Using FoxyRoxyLinux