Do we need a clean-up and reorganisation

Tips and Techniques on day to day stuff

Do we need a clean-up and reorganisation

Postby jbv » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:08 pm

As regulars/old-timers will know, I've been away for about 6 months.
As a consequence, I've just had a look at the Forum and all of our stuff that we have here.

I am a little concerned in that we may be headed the way that all of the other *nix distos in so far as that we have a lot of history that does not help a new user and can cause confusion.

While I think it is important to keep our history so we can back-track when needed, I'm worried that a person who hasn't been here form the beginning no longer has a clear path and concise info. Most of the add-ons are easily available, but I couldn't find the one for the Logitech SLIM server and that's a bit of a worry :) I'm thinking we may need to take a breather and sort out all of this stuff and the forum and try to create a cleaner introduction to FRL.

Feedback/comments - Cheers, Brenton
jbv

Re: Do we need a clean-up and reorganisation

Postby SBP » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:46 pm

Hi Brenton.

Yes I agree that new users might find it difficult to find the info needed in order to start using foxyroxylinux. Even I would have to read up on certain things in order to get the idea .
So a logical introduction on how-to start might be good.

Regarding the Logitech stuff it can be found here.. viewtopic.php?f=18&t=159&start=20

Steeen
SBP

Postby saintless » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:24 am

Hi, Brenton,

It depends what new users you have in mind. This forum is mostly for FoxyRoxy developers yet.
We have some topics with too much off topic content and we can clean them, make them hidden or put them in different section. But I think the structure of the forum should stay as it is. When we have official final FoxyRoxy we can make most of the topics hidden and rearange the forum structure. But for the moment I think it is better to keep it this way. We know this forum as it is now and it will be easier for us to get back working here without changing anything.

Cheers, Toni
saintless

Postby jbv » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:29 am

Hi Toni,

It isn't the off-topic stuff, and I am also happy with the basic layout.
I guess it is more a case of how some threads contain gold that should probably be placed elsewhere rather risk becoming hidden in a thread.
The LMS thread is a classic example. It
I'm still not sure how to organise the subtle details or in what order to present it.

Hopefully it will become a little easier with the next release once I've got the disk-pooling properly sorted.

Steen - thanks for the link-back to the LMS stuff. As you may have seen in another message, I almost got back into it :)

Cheers, Brenton
jbv

Return to Using FoxyRoxyLinux