2015 ... Where Has The Time Gone ... Beta-4

Tips and Techniques on day to day stuff

Re: 2015 ... Where Has The Time Gone ... Beta-4

Postby saintless » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:13 am

Hi, Brenton.
Glad to read your plans for FoxyRoxy and any questions you have I will try to answer (or find the answer).
Just keep in mind I'm still happy to keep my very old hardware working and have nothing like android phones for testing :)

Toni
saintless

Postby jbv » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:57 am

Hi Guy's,

I think the thing that is frustrating me the most is that I need to earn a living.
As you are aware, my world has changed since I embarked upon this journey.
In a previous life, I had a certain level of autonomy that allowed me to play/learn with FoxyRoxy.
However, since starting this journey, life has changed.
Over the last 12 months it has changed again, whereby I can't update you as often as I would like.

For the last 18-26 months my real life has required me to work 10-14 hour days, and also work on week-ends.
Therefore, when I get home at night, I am basically brain-dead.
I get to spend a little time with my wife and then I pass-out.

Sure, I get to do bits of things here and there, but I don't get to do, what I want, when I want, and I can't test as I want. It is quite frustrating for me.

The real issue is that I can't spend as much time as I want to with this project. As I am also needing to spend a lot of time overseas and away from my "home base" it means I can't keep you as updated as I want to, and this is what is frustrating me the most.

For me to finish FoxyRoxy, I just need to turn on the services I turned off and get the Snapshot RAID working,
Then just check the status/versions of a few things and I think FoxyRoxy would be "golden" and "solid".
My real issue is that with my real-world need to earn a living and keep hing moving professionally, I can't tell you how long this would take.
Being straight with you, I think it only requires between 40 and 60 hours of my time. The problem is in me finding those 40-60 hours !

I assure you that I will do it when I can, but sadly, I can't tell you when I will be able to do it.

BTW, Android ... SUCKS-TOXIC-WASTE ...
Google and all of the freaking idiots/morons associated with Android need to be fscked&burned (but fscking them before burning them, risks giving hem a pleasure they don't deserve - check back with me later on this) Seriously, my golden rule is to make my people (my engineers/developers/programmers and myself, eat our own DogFood - Basically, we use what we write) The problem we have now is that the morons writing this crap have no concept of the history of how we've got to here, nor do they know why things were or weren't done. To compound issues, they don't have any idea as to the underlying protocol and how it came to be, or who conceived it and why, what agenda they were pushing, and how successful they were with it. I've just wasted an entire weekend of my life seeing if I can get Android to do what should be a total no-brainer, and got tot he point where I've realized that it can't be done.

If you want to partake in an exercise in futility, try this one for fun.
You have a Microsoft Windows or Linux Computer that has network resources you are sharing
... via SMB/SAMBA/CIFS network sharing (the most common network protocol in the world)

... Just try to connect to it using an Android Phone or Tablet !
- I mean have the Phone or Tablet make the connection/link, not your Windows/Linux machine!

Are these freaking idiots for real ?
How on earth do they get paid for even conceiving this shyte, let alone writing it ?

So, they've fucked up basic CIFS networking. Okay, so to fix that, they've conceived an entirely new network filesystem (because using NFS which was conceived/developed by SUN and is pretty much integated in every *nix ever developed, would just be to fuckign easy) So what do these fuckign morons do ... They dream up a piece of excrement they call SSHFS - only one minor detail with this ... They do not provide any working stacks that work with any operating system known to man, and they leave this "to the market", so "the market" produces about 10 or 12 variants, none of which will talk to each other, nor will they talk to themselves, so the whole thing is just a huge cluster fsck.

If you really want to test your metal as a developer, I dare you to try compiling Google Chrome. If you manage to do this and it fucking well works and you can connect to any website and render a page, will you please send me your resume and your contact details, because if it wasn't a fluke, I want to hire you.

I've had enough. My brain is about to explode.
God I hope my wife wins Lotto so that I can get off of this bullshit merry-go-round
jbv

Postby saintless » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:33 am

Hi, Brenton.
jbv wrote:BTW, Android ... SUCKS-TOXIC-WASTE ...

Yes, I read similar comments here and in other places:
http://research.gigaom.com/report/is-android-broken-and-if-so-will-google-fix-it/

I've had enough. My brain is about to explode.
God I hope my wife wins Lotto so that I can get off of this bullshit merry-go-round

I hope she will :)

Toni
saintless

Postby KazzaMozz » Wed May 13, 2015 11:09 am

Hey Brenton
You gave me the laugh reading your rant. It really gave me the lift I required for the night.
I have a similar issue to you work wise. Need to earn dosh.............. My time is no longer my own as it was. God how I did not appreciate that. It is our own business and will post elsewhere about it and our saga's when I have the chance.
Foxy is still alive number 5. It's taking longer than you had planned but like a lot of things. All good things come to those who wait. Hopefully like me you get the chance here and there to do what you enjoy and spend just a little time playing with ye old Foxy

Cheers

Kazza
KazzaMozz

Postby SBP » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:14 pm

Hi all.

Yes it is this time of the year, where the four of us exchange news.
I hope you are all well and after reading the latest posts in this thread I also hope that you eventually will get some more time to spend with your family and hobby.
Foxyroxy with LMS is still serving all my streaming music, it is very robust so I haven't had the need to change anything.
Cheers
SBP

Postby jbv » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:02 am

Hi Steen,

I actually have a holiday this year, and I've got a whole month off :)
Today was my first day off work in 3 years.

While things have been quiet here, I have been tinkering from time to time, and the project is far from dead.

Sometime next week, I will update you with where things are at.

Cheers, Brenton
jbv

Postby saintless » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:43 pm

Hi Brenton, Steen.

Nice to read news from you.
I'm fine. I will have few weeks holiday too.
The kids grow up fast and I try to spend more time with them lately.
Have a happy holidays! I will check the forum for updates.

Toni
saintless

Previous

Return to Using FoxyRoxyLinux