2016 ... The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Tips and Techniques on day to day stuff

Re: 2016 ... The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Postby saintless » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:01 am

Thanks for the detailed information, Brenton!
There is glibc patch from the last week for Squeeze:
https://security-tracker.debian.org/tracker/CVE-2015-7547
I'm not sure if you already have the fixed version or it will create some problem in your setup.
Just posting the information in case you like to include it before uploading the new iso.

Toni
saintless

Postby jbv » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:20 am

Hi Tony,

Thanks, I don't think will attempt to patch glibc for a few reasons.

Firstly, while I have recompiled the kernel, I have not made any changes to the standard Debian source. The only changes I made were to some configuration options that related to buffers, caches, iwatch and a few things that I felt were required. I have also left the standard configuration file in the source directory so it is possible to wind things back. I also added the drivers for the then latest embedded Intel Ethernet chipsets. I'm not comfortable applying patches. I can't even begin to think of how this would impact my testing. I can only imagine the regression testing would be a nightmare, if not impossible. Lastly, FoxyRoxyLinux was never intended to be a forward facing system. I have always visualised it as being an Internal Server that was/is never directly exposed to the real world.

As it is ... Right now, I've dug myself into a hole anyway. While attempting to migrate some of my archives into their final storage location, I did not properly think about what I was doing and I did not plan it very well. Initially, I thought the best and fastest way would be to grab 6 of my 4Tb HDDs and copy them onto a few 8Tb HDDs then migrate stuff onto one drive at a time and start shuffling. Well, it took ages to copy each drive and to then start moving stuff into its final resting place. For starters, I didn't think about how my initial filing system had changed over the years and, while I thought I had given some thought and planning to what was going to be the final directory structure, it didn't turn out so well. The real issue with this much data is how to organise it and then how to find it. I got about half way in and realised that what I though was going to work was quickly becoming un-managable. Armed with hind-sight, I have revised this although I now need to carefully back out of where I am/was. Right now, I am currently playing "Tower of Hanoi" with 5 x 8Tb drives, 6 x 4Tb drives and trying to not loose anything or mess things up. As the 4Tb drives are on a USB2 connection, this is taking a lot longer than I had anticipated.

Since I am the only person using FoxyRoxy it really doesn't matter either.
I do know Steen is using it although I don't think he is getting anywhere close to requiring his server architecture to be updated, so the only person this is causing an issue for is me.

Cheers, Brenton
jbv

Postby SBP » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:10 am

Hi Brenton.

Yep, still using Foxyroxy for my Logitech Media Server (LMS) installation. I like it very much, it is very robust and haven't caused me any trouble. As it it running 24/7 I use a low powered geode processor.
I have enjoyed reading about your development the last year, and I understand that you have so much more data than I have. For me the old version is working fine and I don't know what benefit I would achieve by updating?
SBP

Postby jbv » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:33 am

Hi Steen,

Good to hear from you, very happy to hear that FoxyRoxy is doing everything you require.
I have kept you in mind while doing everything. To that end, I still have support for the geode processors :)

When I got to the point where I needed to recompile the kernel, I did think about dropping some CPU's, then you sprang to mind and I decided to keep the tweaks to the minimum required.

For you with your current setup, everything should still run right out of the box. I may need to make you a new (updated) LMS extension, but we can cross that bridge when we come to it :)

I agree, there may not be any requirement for you to update or do anything. If it works, then leave it alone :)
I have done my best to ensure that the base image will just run right out of the box for everyone, yet I hope I have also got a very easy migration path to a Super NAS by simply editing some very simple config files, as I have documented in the earlier messages in this thread.

Personally, I have decided to go a slightly different path for Audio. I quite like LMS yet it doesn't quite work for me. I have two very good quality home audio systems that are Pre-Internet, and while they aren't worth twenty-cents nowadays, they both cost a small fortune when I bought them. I had hoped that I could have tied them into a modern environment using Bluetooth with something like the Logitech Bluetooth to Stereo product and a low-cost Android phone. Unfortunately, the Logitech Bluetooth to Stereo product is crap, and Android is a piece of junk. The Logitech product suffers from the worst ground-loop issues and hum that I have ever heard in anything attempted to be passed of as domestic or consumer grade audio equipment. Androids lack of support for CIFS also kills the idea stone dead. I'm sure the basic concept would be a winner. Get a Bluetooth to Stereo decive for under $50 and a pre-paid smart-phone (that you never plug a SIM into) for $40 and if it worked you'd have the ideal setup. Sadly, I could not get it to work as intended. While I could probably fix the Logitech hum/buzz/earth-loop, I can also tell that the resultant audio would sound like trash when being played from my office Yahama sound-system :( Such is life now that the loonies are running the loony farm :lol:

I bought my youngest Daughter a mid-range Bose system as a Christmas present. While Bose have also lost the plot recently, this little box is really quite neat. These devices have inbuilt WiFi and you can use the remote control (or a pre-paid [as in no more to pay] $40 Android phone as a remote). The remote/Android app, simply tells the sound system where to pull the audio from. Once that has been done, the sound-system itself grabs the radio stream, reads the file from the server (DLNA, SAMBA, and NFS are supported) and you are away. While Bose no longer provide true technical specification as to sound output levels, distortion or other minor technical details :( the ease of use and resultant sound is simply stunning. All things considered, this is not totally unexpected as Bose ship more lead (to create density and totally flat sound-response in their speakers) than anyone else, yet you must admit they do it so well :) I know there are other similar products in the market from a variety of suppliers including Yamaha, so I will carefully review this arena, before I finalise what I will do in my home for Audio.

After 27 years of producing audiophile quality sound, it will be a crying shame to relegate my office Yamaha system to the scrap heap, yet I fear it's days are numbered :(

Mind you, it's still got a while yet as I haven't' even started to rip my Audio CD's (which is legal in my part of the world - and should be everywhere) and I am still playing Towers-Of-Hanoi with some other files :)

Cheers, Brenton
jbv

Postby SBP » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:32 pm

jbv wrote:Personally, I have decided to go a slightly different path for Audio. I quite like LMS yet it doesn't quite work for me. I have two very good quality home audio systems that are Pre-Internet, and while they aren't worth twenty-cents nowadays, they both cost a small fortune when I bought them. ....................... I know there are other similar products in the market from a variety of suppliers including Yamaha, so I will carefully review this arena, before I finalise what I will do in my home for Audio.

After 27 years of producing audiophile quality sound, it will be a crying shame to relegate my office Yamaha system to the scrap heap, yet I fear it's days are numbered :(

Mind you, it's still got a while yet as I haven't' even started to rip my Audio CD's (which is legal in my part of the world - and should be everywhere) and I am still playing Towers-Of-Hanoi with some other files :)

Cheers, Brenton

Hi thank you for still remembering my needs.

I think you are giving up on LMS too early.

LMS sounds like a perfect system for your Yamaha amplifier. You just need a small player (wifi or LAN-connected) to provide the audio stream into your Yamaha.
So I will suggest that you buy a raspberry 2 (35$) and then add a I2S-audio DAC (like one from here - there are others as well) https://www.hifiberry.com/ (30$) then you have a high end system 24bit 192 kHHz. You can get an audio card that supply analog audio to your Yamaha or digital, if your Yamaha has a digital in.
Then load my piCorePlayer on a SD-card (which is also read-only) and you have a really robust player which can be on 24/7 and is controlled from any android or iPhone you have.

Finally, you hide the raspberry behind your Yamaha, as you don't need access to it anymore. It will now simply stream your local music or internet-stream to your Yamaha. The most recent version of piCorePlayer is even able to shift GPIO pins high/low or perform a script dependent on its status, so some users are using it to power the your stereo on/off.

If you want to use it with a touchscreen it is possible as well - have a look here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WP3q1-ywD-0

Steen
SBP

Postby saintless » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:09 am

Hi Brenton.

I don't use FoxyRoxy because it is not what I need for every day work. It doesn't mean I don't test FoxyRoxy from time to time (even if I don't test the media server functions you are interested most).
If you prefer not to share Debian Squeeze related information here I will not do it anymore. But few days ago official Squeeze repository moved to debian archive and apt-get can't find it. Australian sources are not active anymore and should be removed and this line needs changing in FoxyRoxy_Beta_4.iso/live/05-FoxyConfig.squashfs/etc/apt/sources.list from:
Code: Select all
deb http://cdn.debian.net/debian/ squeeze main contrib non-free

to:
deb http://archive.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main contrib non-free

Toni
saintless

Postby jbv » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:42 am

Hi Toni,

I am aware that you have your own distro(s) based on later versions of Debian that are much better suited to your needs, and I am really happy for you in that regard.

I'm not sure where you got the idea that I don't want to share Squeeze related info from, because that could not be further from the truth. If it is because I don't provide updates here as often as I did back in the start of this project, then I am sorry you have that impression, from my lack of updates. The reality is that since moving to another state 3 years ago, my professional life has been turned inside out. I am now responsible for 15 engineers and we are designing, developing, and manufacturing product at break-neck speed. The hours I am doing are insane, and when I get home the last thing I want to do is play with a computer. When I do get some spare time to myself, I often can't be bothered turning anything on, so I don't :)

Things are really close now. I discovered the Squeeze repository things just this weekend, when I got the official Oracle Java-8 running in FoxyRoxy so that I could include FileBot which is a magical media file renaming package that I have just included. I have updated the repositories accordingly. We have a 4 day weekend at the end of this month and I hope I can use that to finalise things and prepare a release.

Cheers, Brenton

Oh, Steen ... I see that they have just release the RasPi3 with onboard WiFi, so you may be right and it may be worth another look. When? I don't know :(, but I will review it before I start throwing things our :)
jbv

Postby saintless » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:00 am

Hi Brenton.

You have PM.
Sorry about that. it seems like an unfortunate misunderstanding. Maybe I'm too sensitive lately or because English is not my native language.

Edit: Edit: Just updating the information - now also Squeeze LTS, updates and backports repositories are not available anymore because the long term support for Squeeze is over:
https://wiki.debian.org/LTS/Using
The only available repositories for Squeeze are in archive.debian.org

Edit2: This in sources.list works for me now:
deb http://archive.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main contrib non-free
deb http://archive.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-lts main contrib non-free
deb http://archive.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-proposed-updates main contrib non-free

Also these two are still active for squeeze but I don't know for how long:
deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security squeeze/updates main contrib non-free
deb ftp://ftp.deb-multimedia.org squeeze main non-free

Edit3: And squeeze-backports is now available in debian archive. I think the moving process is not finished yet (some packages still missing) but works to install virtualbox for example:
deb http://archive.debian.org/backports.org squeeze-backports main contrib non-free
deb http://archive.debian.org/backports.org squeeze-backports-sloppy main contrib non-free

And the security repo is available in the archive (I guess the one from security.debian.org will stop working for squeeze soon):
deb http://archive.debian.org/debian-security/ squeeze/updates main contrib non-free

Cheers, Toni
saintless

Postby jbv » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:54 am

Hi Toni,

Thanks. I had noticed the repo issue and have started to update FoxyRoxy in preparation for the release to be made soon.
I appreciate your input and will ensure that everything gets updated and checked and that all keys are also updated :)

With regard to the misunderstanding above, your English is fine. You read the words perfectly, however the literal reading wasn't the intent, which is probably my fault. My comment about being the only person using FoxyRoxyLinux was more from the viewpoint of the need to rush out a final release. As recently as towards the back end of last year, the FoxyRoxy ISOs were begin downloaded on average of 20 times a month and the forum reads were about the same. However, there have been no new users for 2 years. I'm thinking that for the final release, I may only allow downloads for registered users just to see how many people are actually interested.

For your info, over the last few months, I have also looked at the latest Debian and other distros. While they address the USB3 issue, they don't resolve the sound problem on newer mainboards and are in fact way behind FoxyRoxy in many other areas. When you also factor in the way they have changed the copy-on-write which will break all of the work I have done in working out how copy-on-write works in FoxyRoxy, there is no reason at all to use any of the newer distros.

Once I get this thing locked down, I will start to look again although I think it may be best to just sit tight until the next Debian release, at which time I may need some help from you as I know you have worked out how to use/continue to use the older style copy-on-write. In the meantime, if it ain't broken, which it ain't, I'm happy to leave it alone. I don't want to apply patches for a few reasons, it won't be a clean Debian kernel, and I have never applied a patch, so it will take me ages to work out how and then testing it will be a nightmare.

I think I know how to address a lot of the issues in the newer distros, but time is not on my side.
I really hope that when the next Debian release arrives it has the latest revision of ALSA sound, FFmpeg and a few other core packages. If they do this, then it will be ideal.

Cheers, Brenton
jbv

Postby saintless » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:09 am

Hi Brenton.
jbv wrote:Once I get this thing locked down, I will start to look again although I think it may be best to just sit tight until the next Debian release, at which time I may need some help from you as I know you have worked out how to use/continue to use the older style copy-on-write.

Anytime you need me. In general you just need to build initrd.img with older live-boot-2.0 installed on newer Debian (Wheezy or Jessie). No need to keep older live-boot installed after that. The created initrd.img will be enough to boot the system in the old squeeze copy-on-write method. But if you like to use live-snapshot you have to keep some files from live-boot-2.0 in the system.
I really hope that when the next Debian release arrives it has the latest revision of ALSA sound, FFmpeg and a few other core packages. If they do this, then it will be ideal.

There will be another problem in next stable debian Stretch (which is testing now) if you like to use copy-on-write. Probably the official Debian kernel 4.x will not have aufs module included and you will need to build one. Aufs is replaced with overlayfs in Debian kernel 4.x but overlayfs can not load more than one module in "live" folder at the moment. Probably it will be fixed later.

Cheers, Toni
saintless

PreviousNext

Return to Using FoxyRoxyLinux